iPhone 3GS: Can it be fixed with a new battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ecolumbine, Jan 5, 2014.

1. ecolumbine macrumors newbie

Nov 24, 2012

I have a very old iphone 3GS - I think maybe 6 years old and now it is quite clearly dying a slow death. I cannot use it for calls as it crashes immediately after, the battery life is totally unreliable - it will die when it says it has 50% or more, or, when I've charged it, the battery will drop to a low number very quickly, and it always crashes when I use apps. Basically, it's useless.
    My question is, could it be salvaged with a new battery or, after 6 years, if the actual computer hardware going to be coming to the end of it's life? Is it time just to get anew phone?

2. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    I think at this point getting a new phone might be a good idea. You're running in to app issues due to iOS and hardware limitations on your phone.

A battery replacement is $79+tax. Out of warranty service is $149+tax. How much is a new phone going to cost you under contract?
  3. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

Feb 13, 2011
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Don't know if the battery is actually the issue, but you can find batteries for a lot less than $79 on Ebay. That, a $5 repair kit, and the 16-step repair guide at iFixit might be worth a shot.
  4. jav6454 macrumors P6

Nov 14, 2007
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    You can try to get a new battery for it; however, I think you also need to restore to a state without a backup. Should clear any software bugs out.
  5. ecolumbine thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 24, 2012
    Thanks for your help.

My phone is out of contract so no extra costs there. How should I restore it? Is there a way to totally reset it?

6. CrimsonKnight macrumors 6502

Apr 15, 2013
    Denver, CO

Connect your phone to iTunes on your computer and select restore. Make sure to do a backup first.