iPhone 3GS: Can it be fixed with a new battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ecolumbine, Jan 5, 2014.

1. ecolumbine macrumors newbie

Hi

I have a very old iphone 3GS - I think maybe 6 years old and now it is quite clearly dying a slow death. I cannot use it for calls as it crashes immediately after, the battery life is totally unreliable - it will die when it says it has 50% or more, or, when I've charged it, the battery will drop to a low number very quickly, and it always crashes when I use apps. Basically, it's useless.
    My question is, could it be salvaged with a new battery or, after 6 years, if the actual computer hardware going to be coming to the end of it's life? Is it time just to get anew phone?

Thanks

2. Bear macrumors G3

I think at this point getting a new phone might be a good idea. You're running in to app issues due to iOS and hardware limitations on your phone.

A battery replacement is $79+tax. Out of warranty service is $149+tax. How much is a new phone going to cost you under contract?

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Don't know if the battery is actually the issue, but you can find batteries for a lot less than $79 on Ebay. That, a $5 repair kit, and the 16-step repair guide at iFixit might be worth a shot.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You can try to get a new battery for it; however, I think you also need to restore to a state without a backup. Should clear any software bugs out.

5. ecolumbine thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help.

My phone is out of contract so no extra costs there. How should I restore it? Is there a way to totally reset it?

Thanks

6. CrimsonKnight macrumors 6502

CrimsonKnight

Connect your phone to iTunes on your computer and select restore. Make sure to do a backup first.