Iphone 3GS can no longer recognize home WiFi

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by potejam, Nov 11, 2010.

1. potejam macrumors newbie

I'm at a complete loss with this one, so hopefully someone has some tips...

I have an iPhone 3GS (3.1.3) and my wife and I each have Dell PCs (Vista). We share a wireless network with our landlords who are decidedly Mac folks and use Apple's AirPort WiFi routers. Our internet connections had been working fine until about a week ago, when all three of our "computers" (2 PCs and an iPhone) no longer discovered the network. This went on for a couple days and we figured the entire network was down. But after we talked to our landlords, we discovered that they had been connecting the whole time without any issues.

So we tried various things to get the connection back. They are using one primary router, and two other routers in an attempt to broadcast the signal thorughout the entire residence (it's large). I thought that this combination of routers might have something to do with it. Sure enough, my Dell was able to discover and connect to the network while standing next to the primary router. So we played around with the other "boosters" and ended up finding out that if we changed the order of them, we were now able to connect on our two PCs. This was all fine, but still left the question of what happened in the first place, since we had previously had no problems with the original layout of AirPorts.

BUT, even now that our two Dell computers are working and picking up a very strong signal (the AirPort is now only a few feet away from us), my iPhone finds absolutely NOTHING! I have never had any problems connecting to this nextwork, but now it can't even find it, despite the fact that the two Dell's can. So I tried the iPhone in other areas, and can confirm that the WiFi still works as it should - no problems at all. But when I get back home I've got nothing. There is also a neighbour's WiFi that I can pick up with my Dell, but my iPhone doesn't find that either (I can't be sure that the iPhone ever discovered that, but I assume it used to). To make matters even stranger, my landlord has an iPad, and it has no problem connecting to the network either. I have stood beside her and the router while she has a connection, and I have nothing.

I have tried several things I found on other forums.

- I have reset network settings several times
    - I have restarted, rebooted, resprung, etc several times
    - I have played around with different combination of the above steps while having WiFi turned off/on, 3G off/on, data roaming off/on etc
    - I have updated the firmware from 3.1.3 to 4.0.1 (jailbroken) with no success, and then I went through all the above steps again.
    - I have tried accessing WiFi through 3rd party apps, like WiFiFoFum etc.

Everything works, just not here.

From what I can tell, SOMETHING happened about a week ago that caused all of our three devices to no longer recognize the network. It didn't affect the landlords two Macs or their iPad, though. For some reason, it's affected my iPhone's ability to recognize the network at all, even though whatever happened has evidently been fixed.

Does anyone have any ideas?!

2. potejam thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: I restored 4.0.1 again from scratch and installed as a NEW phone.

Still no change. Even entering the SSID info doesn't result in the network being discovered.

Does anyone have an idea what would cause this??!!

3. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Try connecting to another wifi like at a Starbucks or Panera Bread (assuming you're in the US?). If that doesn't work, your wifi card must be going bad.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Have you restored your iPhone from scratch and setting it up as new? Try that. Else, call Apple on the issue and claim bad Wi-Fi chip. If you are still under warranty, great.

5. potejam thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I have set it up as new, then tried the whole sequence of other various things to get it to work.

The thing is the WiFi on the phone works as fine as it ever did. It just doesn't work HERE on my home network. It is something to do with the combination of my iPhone and this WiFi network, but I can't figure out what it is. It definitely isn't anything to do solely with the iPhone OR the network since they both work fine.

6. potejam thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it possible that I'm the first person who's ever had this problem?

- iPhone WiFi connects to every other network perfectly
    - home WiFi works for every other computer/device on it
    - iPhone does not recognize or discover the home WiFi

Has anyone had anything similar happen or have even the slightest clue what the issue might be?

7. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

is the router discoverable? your computers may see it because they had the network saved. also, reset the wireless security if you can. i know you dont own the router but often for reasons unknown, its a problem with the broadcast, not necessarily broken but the router may not be allowing your phone to talk to it.

i have had this happen to me but i always have my network discoverable. its an easy fix. just go under security for the router and re-type whatever password you have and hit apply. hope it works for you.

also you might want to be sure the broadcast isnt N. as im sure you know, the 3gs can only connect to the b or g 802.11 wireless standards.

8. potejam thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks for the reply. Yes the network is discoverable, as I've been able to confirm on two separate PCs. And I know that my iPhone used to discover it just fine as well.

The odd thing is, even if I manually enter the SSID, security, and password, I am told the network is not found. But I KNOW it's there!

Is there any way that a network could "block" my iPhone? Does my phone have a unique "signature" that is constantly recognized??

9. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

yes most routers have the ability to block MAC addresses. someone would have had to manually done that tho.

every device that connects to the net has a MAC address. you can find your MAC address under settings ---> general ---> about and then "wifi address" its in hexadecimal.

10. potejam thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I have no idea what actually happened, but the problem has been solved. I finally was able to get the landlords to reboot/reset their primary router. Whatever the problem was was solved by that. Odd that something changed on that end that caused only my iPhone to not recognize the network, but as long as rebooting helped, I'm not complaining!

11. solidspin macrumors newbie

iPhone 3GS can no longer recognize home WiFi

unfortunately, the ONLY thing I have discovered that "fixes" this is to click (under Settings)...General: Network: Cellular Data Network: Reset Settings: Yes.

As much of a hassle as this is, it works EVERY time. After I click Reset and the Springboard reloads, I manually enter in the WEP key and I'm gtg.

This is CLEARLY not a fix, however, but I have not found a permanent fix from Apple or www.sinfuliphone.com or any of the repos or hacky sites...

If ANYBODY has a clear-cut solution, that'd be great. I'm relatively well-versed in Unix (the actual OS upon which the iPhone is written) so I'll take ANY bash or tsh patches, or what have you!!!!