Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
When i first tried jailbreaking my iPhone 3g, i really wanted to use the "backgrounder" app..but the iPhone just didnt have the memory to do any kind of background tasks..
well..since the recent release of the 3gs jailbreak, i HAD to try backgrounder again on my 3gs... i was happy to find that it did work on the 3gs with no problems.
first thing i tried was opening up pandora and playing some streaming music and then playing a game at the same time.
i was very pleasantly surprised to find out that the phone didnt show ANY signs of slowing down. I chose to play pandora and Rolando 2. its hard to hear in the video, but the sound effects for the game still play..but you get to listen to pandora! When i open rolando 2 in the video, the reason it is so instant is because it was already running in the background as well.
after enabling backgrounding for pandora, i sorta stumble around for a second trying to find the game i wanted to play..then i open up rolando. please forgive the horrible playing, it was hard to hold it in front of the camera and play at the same time. When i close rolando, i hold the home button for a second to disable backgrounding for it (it didnt really need to be in the background for this demo, but was still in it from previous experimenting). Then i open pandora which is still playing in the background and I pause the music and disable backgrounding for pandora.
I havent played around too much, but I have tried pandora using safari/mail/text.. i opened a synth program and made a loop and let it keep playing while i opened tiger woods and played for a little while with loop i made still going. I havent had anything close on me yet...!
i havent seen anyone post up anything about backgrounder on the 3gs yet, so i figured I would post this up!
this was the reason i wanted to jailbreak in the first place and now with the 3gs it works great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdBAQOijW5Y

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
i havent tried winterboard on the 3gs yet, but i read somewhere online that it isnt working yet...saurik might need to make a few modifications for it to work..(then again, i have tried it myself yet..so it could work..)

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Winterboard is NOT 100% working on 3G S yet. He's going to update it to work though. He didn't say a date.

Edit: I forgot to add the word not.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
How does backgrounding work now that voice control is mapped to the home button?

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
it works perfectly....hold it for a little bit for backgrounding...a little longer for voice control.

.....i never use voice control myself...but when i was enabling backgrounding..i held the home button too long once and voice control popped up.

TapOut

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
Erie, PA
freaking A ...MOBILE substrate does not work on 3GS for me.. or alot of people

everytime idownload something with mobile substrate it MESSES up my iphone.(springboard crash to the point where it WONT exit safe mode and ihave to restore)

this is the 5 time restore because of downloading something with mobile substrate,....i have no idea how you got it to work.

rez07

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009
If you jump from 40-50mb of free RAM to 160mb, one does not need to be a genius to know multitasking will be better...backgrounder is usable on the 3G/2G, but only to run one, or two, 3rd party apps on background. On the the 3gs, you can run much more...

Haephestos

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
I found that backgrounding apps on my 3G gave me no noticeable slowdown, nor did the background apps ever quit. I also used the task list mode for backgrounder.

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
^im guessing you didnt really push the 3g too much..

I wasnt even able to run tiger woods and pandora on the 3g...

last night I was running rolando 2, tiger woods, and pandora and the memory program...all of them stayed open and nothing slowed down.
i was very impressed....and the 3g doesnt have anything close to the hardware needed to pull off multitasking. It CAN work..but not reliably.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
Apple knows multi-tasking will work, it's the battery life they're worried about.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Yeah, how's battery life? And what were you seeing in the memory app? How much was used/left?

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
It's been working on those for ages.

Apple just don't want people pissed about draining their batteries.

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
one of the things I like the most about backgrounder is the way it is used...very smart. And it works fine with voice control...

so, this morning I loaded x-gps into memory, beatmaker (pretty serious resource hog...playing a loop i just made with the sequencer), tweetie, and the memory app. It was listing 50mb or more when all those apps were in memory. I have loaded it up with as much as I could think that anyone would possibly do..and i got it down to 10mb..but it still ran fine and nothing closed on me.

the battery life goes down faster...i will have to play with it more to get a better idea of how much. I am going to drive to work in a few minutes (an hour drive) and i am going to have x-gps on in the background charting the route while listening to podcasts via bluetooth on my car head unit. We'll see how the battery looks after a little while.
though its not a fair test because one would normally have the phone charging when using gps.

there arent too many apps where it makes sense to background enable them. mainly for gps or internet music streaming apps...while playing a game or something. the iphone is perfectly capable of doing any kind of (logical) multitasking with its third party apps.

ill post up more videos later tonight if i get a chance..

^,^^ to say that backgrounder works on the 3g and touch would be like saying the 3g and 2g are capable of recording video...hardly usable in my opinion.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
True. I'd say 3/4 of the times I've tried it on the 3G the backgrounded apps closed.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Works PERFECT on the 3GS! I LOVE IT! I got a lot of stuff open and the phone still isn't slowing down!

jhkaplan

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
While I've gotten Backgrounder to work pretty well, there's one thing I can't figure out (and maybe I'm doing it wrong).

I will start streaming a baseball game on MLB At Bat, then hold down the home button to enable backgrounder. I can then move to, open, and use any other app while the game still streams in the background. This part is excellent.

However, when I exit the other app and go back to the MLB At Bat App to continue watching the game, the MLB app immediately crashes and leaves me back at the home screen. Am I doing something wrong here? To me, this would be perfect if I could re-open At Bat (or any other app running in the background) and return to the last state it was in before I left.

bkborn

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2008
Wow, great vid. I think I'm going to switch buy a 3GS today. My 2G is just so sluggish and it gets frustrating using the phone sometimes. Have you noticed any instability since installing bg'er? I know it made my phone act all retarded sometimes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.