iPhone 3GS dropping signal randomly (blacksn0w/push fix)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by fjk, Nov 15, 2009.

1. fjk macrumors regular

There appear to be some reports of users losing signals randomly (full bars, then suddenly goes to nothing and then searching and then full bars again, fairly frequently (few times an hour?)) after jailbreaking + blacksn0w.

I was having this issue, using blackra1n + blacksn0w, so i restored and utilized pwnage tool + blacksn0w and wasn't having this problem any more.

I later realized I forgot to install "Push Fix" (For push, gps, youtube), but ever since installing it I've noticed that the random signal drops have returned. I've since uninstalled it and, so far, the problem has disappeared.

Anybody with the random "signal drops" A) have blacksn0w, "push fix" installed and B) relieve this problem by uninstalling "push fix"?

Please try and let us know on this forum. I believe this problem is more widespread than reported, because it seems just like normal behavior.. signal drops, call drops every once in a while, until you pay attention for a period of time in an area where you know you always have good reception, and then notice others are having the same problem reported online as well.

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

just so you know

Geohot has stated this as well as the wifi problems are not Blackra1n or BlackSn0w that they are bad programing on Apples part. he has even twittered to Apple that for $10,000 he will fix it. but he swears the issue his not with his program.

3. fjk thread starter macrumors regular

I made no mention of the wifi problems, and I didn't see him mention any issues re: signal dropping randomly and constantly.

Also, I specified that Blacksn0w works fine, I think the problem has to do with "push fix."

Please read thread.

4. BrettS macrumors newbie

BrettS

Don't count on Apple putting any effort into fixing it. In fact, you can count on them to try and perpetuate the problem. Hell, I wouldn't doubt that they deliberately wrote 3.1.2 to drop calls after being jailbroken.

5. fjk thread starter macrumors regular

I believe the problem has much more to do with blacksn0w/unlocking than it does with jailbreaking. After more usage I have noticed the random dropouts without having installed "push fix" and after removing blacksn0w, have not had the problems so far.

However, the main reason I used blacksn0w was to set up native tethering, which I have since lost after reboot of network settings.

6. omgitzrick macrumors newbie

I've been having this issue since I JB'd too. It was always perfect until I JB'd.

Used blackra1n RC3 and installed Cydia and blacksn0w and started having the problems. Restored and used blackra1n again but without blacksn0w, still getting it.

I also find that the screen often freezes when I've got an incoming call, which stops me from being able to answer. Anyone else had this?

Edit: I have never installed push fix.

7. Bl0ckHe1d macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

I too have the GPS problem and i do NOT have blacksn0w installed...

having looked at several other posts on this site and a few there were a few interesting solution ranging from banging the iphone/pod on the table to reset network setting etc...however none of those worked and wasn't too tempted to try banging the iphone on the tale either!

however one of the post had contacted apple tech support and their tech has told him to pretty much jailbreak the device to download the Terminal package and then rattle in the following commands:

su
    password - alpine (you should change this if you already haven't!!)
    killall -9 locationd
    rm -rf /var/root/Library/Caches/locationd

exit terminal (do not use the home button!) and then reset...

since then the gps started working again!

ps i haven't install push fix from the iphoneil repo!!

8. mibaksh macrumors newbie

i got that on my iPhone 2G a couple of times on 3.1. Never on my 3GS.

9. Swede macrumors newbie

which push fix are you using? the one you can download from the iphoneil repo? which doesnt actually fix push, but patches the youtube app..

if you are using the pushfix i am (download and paid for from pushfix.info) im not sure what the problem could be as mine works really well :/

but then again i didnt use blackra1n.. pwnage tool and i kept my baseband with ultrasn0w

10. gabr10 macrumors newbie

Same thing here, All this started happening when I put 3G on my phone, never had the problem before. I removed push fix yesterday in an effort to see if it gets rid of it and it hasnt happened just yet, but I'm still not sure that solved it. Also I'd love to get my Youtube and GPS back working.. Any suggestions?

11. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Hummm... 3G is a model of iPhone, not something you can "put" on your phone.

OP... do you perhaps mean 3.1.2 ??

12. gabr10 macrumors newbie

I mean 3G, there was no 3G network in here Up until a month ago, so I got a plan on the 3G network and if I'm not mistaken, that's when it all started.

13. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

OK, so your carrier threw the switch on 3G signals in your area, makes sense.

But seems like perhaps the coverage is just spotty, who knows ?

If you had a good signal on 2G, I would just disable 3G and use the better of the two.

14. gabr10 macrumors newbie

Yeah thats the problem, 3G does have a whole lot better coverage than GSM, so I'm a bit stuck with that. Also I don't have any form of internet @home so 3G is my only option :S

15. techwarrior macrumors 6502a

techwarrior

I had this problem before JB with Blackra1n, no better or worse since I JB.

16. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Why do you think this is a blackra1n problem? Sounds to me like a carrier issue. Who is your carrier?

17. gabr10 macrumors newbie

No, cause it doesn't happen on any other phone, and lots of people have reported the same behavior on other countries. No known carrier, just the local (and only one) on my country, Costa Rica.

18. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

I have a similar problem, signal dropping. Half my calls get dropped within the first 5 minutes. I also noticed that once, in a highrise hotel room with a 3-bar signal, I was loosing signal all the time (every 3-4 minutes) and then while using Skype for iPhone over wifi, when the GPRS signal would drop, my wifi would also drop and I'd have to re-enter the painfully long wifi passkey every 3-4 minutes until I gave up on skyping. I assumed my 2 year old 2G iPhone was having low-voltage or power problems internally and I should upgrade it, but this thread has me thinking (it's both UL and JB) that it could be a bum firmware deal...

Do we know what causes this yet?

19. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

mine was working fine until today and now it's doing this also. It will be working fine full bars and then blip, nothing. Im running blackra1n jb and unlock 3.1.2 with a 3g iPhone on t-mobile. No dropped calls it just seems to be cycling in and out of service for some reason.

20. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

I too am having this issue! And it's driving me crazy!

I desperately needed to have tethering available. I'm visiting my family, and helping them move into their new home, which has no internet, and even when they do get internet installed it's in a rural area so it will be on a slow-as-molasses satellite system which is bandwidth capped.

So I figured I would tether my iphone since I get full 3G signal up there.

I didn't want to have to jailbreak my phone because every time I do something goes wrong. Every single time.

I downloaded blackra1n and installed it to my phone and downloaded cydia and blacksn0w. Everything seemed to go ok.

I installed the IPCC file from the recommended website to keep tethering active along with VVM. That seemed to go fine as well after a reboot (as per the instructions)

But now every 5mins or so it just drops all connection, blanks to no service, then suddenly comes back to 3G.

On top of that, where I was normally getting full bars of 3G (I can confirm this because my mom's iphone is getting full bars) I now get 2-3 bars.

What can I do to fix this? Has anyone figured it out? I didn't install anything crazy on cydia, just GV mobile, Proswitcher, and SBsettings. Nothing too hardcore.

21. lsbuffs macrumors regular

I have been jb via Blackra1n and unlocked with Blacksn0w since it came out. I too experience the signal dropout. What often happens to me is I'll initiate or receive a call, and within seconds of that action, I'll lose all bars and the 3G will disappear. The cellular signal will reset within about 20-30secs. Once done, I have no problem making or receiving calls.

What I tend to do now when I have an important call to make is initiate a call to a time&temperature number. Let it connect and drop out and reset. Then I'll make my normal call.

Sucks to have to do this but I suppose one cost of the unlock. If I recall correctly, geohot said any problems in this regard were due to an Apple or AT&T bug. That may be, but still unfortunate.

22. RangerXML macrumors regular

Exact same issue with no fix in site. I found that if I wanna receive and make calls reliably I need to turn 3G off and just use Edge (data and tethering are also more reliable, but slow...). This is messed up and I don't think we are going to see a fix until 4.0.

23. gabr10 macrumors newbie

What bothers me the most is that when I turn off 3G and just use regular GSM, everything works like a charm, no signal drops of any kind, all calls go in and out like they should, and my life is better. Why have a 3G phone if you can't use 3G like you should?

24. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Get rid of your Blackra1n/Blacksn0w JB/UL and your phone will work as it is supposed to work !

25. RangerXML macrumors regular

Good for you to say, some of us have reasons for JB/UL, namely tethering. I do not want to be stuck at work for 9.5 hours without internet.