iPhone 3GS earphones - free replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nicroma, Nov 27, 2009.

1. nicroma macrumors 6502a

nicroma

I searched and found some old posts with people asking the same question without answers so I thought I would share my experience.

My earphones for my iPhone 3GS stopped working and I called Apple for a replacement with the intention of paying. They still replace them for free like they have in the past for iPods. They took down my credit card information just in case I don't send my broken pair back to them, but I am very happy to get a free replacement! They also ship them priority overnight through FedEx for free.

Thank you Apple! :D

2. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Yup, all the accessories in the box are covered under the warranty!

That also goes for the in-ear headphones if you buy those.

3. JUSTQUAN macrumors member

is it possible i can go down to the apple store to get them replaced with proof of purchase?

4. nicroma thread starter macrumors 6502a

nicroma

I wouldn't see why not. They have replaced iPod earphones in the past for people in the store.

5. fluffyx macrumors 6502

Make a Genius Bar appointment first. They view this as a "repair."

apple.com/retail

6. MacFly123 macrumors 68020

I just tried but my warrantee ended 120 days ago :( Sucks because it has been longer than that since the clicker in the headphones stopped working.

Can someone tell me this? The iPhone 3Gs headphones are different than the iPhone and iPhone 3G. The 3Gs headphones have the volume up and down buttons as well as the center click. Apple's site says they are ONLY compatible with the iPhone 3Gs as far as iPhones go. But is that really true? I have a 3G and my fam got me the 3Gs headphones as a present and I figured they would work but the buttons might not since they are software based. Or maybe the center click button will work fine but not the volume up and down? Has anyone tried the 3Gs headphones with a 3G or heard anything? :confused:

Attached Files:

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I went with my iPhone headphones (the plastic thing around the ears was tearing away) with no proof of purchase (besides my iPhone), and no appointment.

I just showed them my headphones to a Concierge and told them they were Sept 09 new and he said, no problem. I went to the Genius bar where I was handed a new pair of headphone covered under warranty.

8. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

The headphones with the volume controls work with the iPhone and iPhone 3G, however only the middle button works. The volume buttons DO NOT work with them. (Didn't make any sense to me either, but its how Apple wants it to work.)

9. MacFly123 macrumors 68020

Thanks! :) Can you confirm that the mic still works as well so I can answer calls etc.?

Why on earth hasn't Apple ever updated the 3G to be compatible with those headphones? I figured it was a given as a software update. :rolleyes:

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you know someone else with a device still under warranty, you can ask them to do the replacement request… of course it the earphones are like $20, so maybe it's not worth the hassle?

11. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

It's too bad they're so poorly made. I love the iphone but these headphone are seriously fragile

12. calvy macrumors 65816

Yes the mic still works.

And it's not a software issue. It's a hardware problem, or lack thereof. The 3GS headphones have more contacts on the barrel of the jack, or more rings.