iPhone 3GS has an "Oleophobic Coating": No more Smudges

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by redrox5, Jun 8, 2009.

1. redrox5 macrumors member

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

From Apple's site:

"The display also features an oil-resistant coating that keeps the iPhone screen clean."

3. bigchief macrumors 6502a

I'm just wondering if they fixed the cracked case problems that the 3g is having?

4. DuFFy macrumors regular

iPhone 3GS fingerprint resistant display

noticed on apples tech specs they say the display has a "Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating".. good for all those who cant stand the fingerprints, wonder how good it works..

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

5. actorkid macrumors 6502

6. genmic macrumors regular

It's on the Apple website as well, "Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating"
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

I have to admit I was originally disappointed at the 3GS, but the more I learn about the phone it does seem like a nice upgrade. Especially if this means I won't have to put a screen protector on the phone to avoid fingerprints.

7. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

that's.....actually pretty interesting

fingerprint resistant? hmm

8. actorkid macrumors 6502

ahh, thanks i missed that feature

i wonder if it actually works well

how long until the big shots will get hands on time with this baby?

9. Zildjian26 macrumors newbie

3G S definitely has special screen coating

Apple's iPhone How To page has been updated for the 3.0 software update and the 3G S, and specifically states that the oleophobic coating is exclusive to the 3G S. Sounds like it'll be easier to clean off as well:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/how-to/#basics.cleaning-iphone

I don't think this will make the third party screen film manufacturers very happy, but if it'll make my phone less greasy I'm all for it.

10. genmic macrumors regular

11. mikey28 macrumors 6502

Matters not. Because even if I don't use a case this time, I ALWAYS go with a screen protector!

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That won't help with fingerprints on the glossy back. I never have problems with fingerprints on the screen itself since I wear mine naked in my pants pocket, which cleans the screen.

13. Prolif1k macrumors 6502

Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating??

I was just looking at the tech specs on Apple's site. The iPhone 3GS has an additional comment under its display description that the iPhone 3G does not have.

Display
    3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen Multi-Touch display
    480-by-320-pixel resolution at 163 ppi
    Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
    Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously

I don't believe Apple made any mention of this yesterday or in any other publications since then. It would certainly make me happy, since I currently use the Anti-Glare screen protector just because it doesn't attract fingerprints.
    Does anybody know anything about this supposed fingerprint-resistance?

14. actorkid macrumors 6502

this has been mentioned in many other threads

apple did not mention this in the keynote, but its clear that it exists.

of course no one knows how well this will work however, since no one has gotten to use the phone yet

and I have no idea what you're talking about with the anti-glare screen protector...i had one and it attracted smudges and fingerprints like crazy...maybe not quite as much as the glossy, but still more than id like

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The Revo (by iSkin) privacy screen film made fingerprints far less noticeable compared to naked screen.

16. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

iPhone 3GS has an "Oleophobic Coating": No more Smudges

Acoording to Apple's How Tos:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/how-to/#basics.cleaning-iphone

I might have to get the 3G-S.. just for this!

17. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

18. bob616 macrumors 6502

19. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

The first few seconds my new Iphone 3GS is out of the box, a screen protector will be slapped on. I couldn't care less about this "feature" actually.

20. nfl46 macrumors 603

Another plus for the new iPhone. I cannot wait to get it! I am so excited. The best $399 I've spent since I got the 3G version last September. :D

21. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I said this in another thread, I'm putting a screen protector so it doesn't matter to me. Not to mention on my current 3G if I take a cloth and wipe the screen, I get the same effect. Isn't that called cleaning the screen off with a cloth?

22. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I'm really excited about the new screen! I hope it's similar to the PS Anti-Glare protector. I would love it! Can't wait for my 3G S...

23. Rychiar macrumors 6502

Rychiar

yeah i'd rather have a fingerprint resistant screen cover cus theres no way this baby is ridin bareback in my pocket

24. rugox macrumors regular

You make a good point. What's the point of making an "oleophobic" coating if you still have to wipe off the oil. You still have to go through the process of wiping the screen and you would do this on the iPhone 3G as well.

If the coating didn't allow the oil to get on the screen in the first place, that would be a good thing.

If the coating makes the wiping of the oil off the screen more easy, that is not much of an improvement...

25. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I bet you it makes it a lot easier. Just one wipe and it's all off instead of having to buff it off.