iPhone 3GS Jailbreak? What's taking so long?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Donz0r, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

Didn't they jailbreak the 3G the day it came out last year?

I really want to see how this thing performs with some theming. Winterboard slowed down my 3G way too much for me. hell, even the unjailbroken 3G was too laggy for my tastes.

You guys think the 3GS will handle intense theming without skipping a beat? it does have twice the ram, which is the limiting factor - right?

2. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

New hardware + its been 7 days.

If you wanted to jailbreak, you shouldnt have bought a 3GS so soon.

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You have got to be kidding me...

They do this stuff on their own time and give it to us for free....

Can you say UNGRATEFUL !

4. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Umm-no I can't remember how long it took-but it seems like it was at least a week and closer to two.

AND-the dev team has been busy updating pwnage tool, redsn0w AND releasing a new soft unlock. They have way more going on right now than last year.

PATIENTS my friend :) I am not buying a 3GS til I know I can use it with my Rogers PPD account...

5. MWillis561 macrumors member

MWillis561

The 3G infact took a little while to come out with a jailbreak. Obviously Apple has changed some things in there hardware which always changes things up for jailbreaking. If you look hardware wise, the 2G -> 3G is a lot less of a change than 3G -> 3GS.

From what I understand there is also an encryption key that they've been working on breaking. I think just yesterday Stealthbravo dot com posted that they've finally gained access to the file system.

It is an ongoing project. Check all the sites like the dev teams and Stealth's and you will find updates.

6. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

They're all lazy good for nothings !!!

Haha. Jk, of course. (Have to be sure to put that on these forums).

I want the jailbreak asap, but I can wait.

Dactyl FTW.

7. rspy macrumors member

Not only the hardware, with 3GS apple introduced new protection against downgrades and possibly JB. Read on Geohot's blog

8. Donz0r thread starter macrumors 6502a

My post clearly stated that I've had a jailbroken 3G but couldn't stand the lag. :rolleyes: I've been living with an unjailbroken 3G for months...

Did I imply ANYWHERE in my post that I was ungrateful for the work they were doing? Just because I'm anxiously awaiting something does not mean that I disregard all of the hard work that goes into them doing it. :rolleyes:

http://gizmodo.com/5025415/iphone-3g-jailbroken

The 3G was jailbroken 5 days after release

Thank you for the informative and useful reply. Apparently some other users would rather b!tch and spew false information than answer a simple question. I simply wanted to start a thread to talk about this.

9. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

I stand corrected-but my assertion that they have a LOT more going on now than they did then remains. They seem to have 3 "irons in the fire" right now instead of just one.

1: 3GS
    2: 3.0
    3: ultrasn0w

Yeah read that story-the RAMdisk key post came after that one-so it does sound like progress is being made.

That said, devteam states on their site that they do NOT provide status updates-they don't want to tip their hands to Apple-so the project linked to may be different than what devteam is doing.

10. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

The 3G used exactly the same hardware as iPod touch 1st generation and iPhone Edge. Therefore the same security hole existed for iPhone 3G. That was why they were able to release a jailbreak so quick. the iPod touch 2G, however, had different hardware, and it took them 4-5 months to jailbreak it.

11. rspy macrumors member

No prob, here is more info...

12. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Thats a good point-2g touch was VERY LONG-could be equally as long with 3GS.

The good news is, the 3GS seems to use the same baseband as 3G so once the JB comes, it seems like ultrasn0w should work :)

13. Donz0r thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looks like good progress is being made. I'm no hacker, but the people commenting here make it seem like they've crossed a big milestone as far as jailbreaking this thing.

http://iphonejtag.blogspot.com/2009/06/no-sn0w-in-summer.html

"If I understand correctly it's a start for a jailbreak for iPhone 3GS (N88AP). He inserted a custom command to iBoot, so he must've found a way to bypass sigchecks. Which is good news :)."

14. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

3G S feels incomplete without jailbreak!

Touch 2nd generation took a long while before it was jailbroken, so I am not holding my breath for 3G S.