Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AT&T has posted a walkthrough video explaining how to order the new iPhone 3GS and what pricing you can expect. Unlike the iPhone 3G launch, Apple and AT&T are allowing pre-orders on the iPhone 3G S which means you can order today to get your handset by June 19th.

Video: link

The iPhone 3GS will be available for $199/16GB and $299/32GB for "new and qualifying" customers. The existing 8GB and 16GB 3G models can also be purchased for $99 or $149 (while supplies last).

On launch day (June 19th), two lines will form at 7 a.m. local time at the AT&T retail stores. Customers who had pre-ordered will be able to pick up their iPhone 3GSs at that time, while customers who wish to purchase that day will have to wait until the store opens at normal business hours.

Article Link: iPhone 3GS Launch Day Details and AT&T Pricing

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
It sucks that they won't let you pre order if you're wanting to get two iPhones on a family plan. I was all ready to pre order last night and set up my AT&T account (I'll be a new customer).

I guess I'll just have to wait until launch day.

Edit: Wait, I just checked on AT&T's website again and it says "limit one per household when ordering online." Maybe if I go into the AT&T store and pre order, I can get two iPhones. I must call now and find out!

Edit 2: I just called my local AT&T store and they said there is a limit of one iPhone per household when pre ordering. It doesn't matter if you walk into a store, order it over the phone, or order it online, the limit of one still applies. I guess I'll be one of the unlucky people without a pre order.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
I want to know why I have to wait until March, 2010 to upgrade my iPhone 3G, when I bought it last July on launch day, just like everyone else.

tfulmino

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2008
No reason to upgrade to the new hardware - unless of course you are running on first gen. ATT flat out sucks in my area and I am patiently waiting for Verizon to get the phone.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
I want to know why I have to wait until March, 2010 to upgrade my iPhone 3G, when I bought it last July on launch day, just like everyone else.
Yep, mine says I have to wait until Jan. 2010 to get the discounted prices. Makes sense since they subsidized the 3G's price, but still bummer. :(

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
question for ya'll

Can someone explain how a SIM card swap should work, if the 1st gen iPhone I gave my brother is eligible for upgraded pricing, but my own 3G is not until December?

My brother got a totally new SIM card to use with his iPhone, when I upgraded to the 3G and I gave him my old phone. He did NOT use my original SIM card.

I have a 3G, with a new SIM card of course.

If I order a 3GS from Apple, and use my brother's phone line as the reference, so it shows me the cheaper upgrade being available, and I receive it in the mail -- what do I do? Is it somehow locked to his phone number? I am imagining it will have its own, new SIM card, like the 3G did?

I am ready to order a 3GS and give my 3G to my brother, but I want to make sure I can use the 3GS with my phone number, if I order it using his phone number to get upgrade pricing.

Thanks!

gt1948

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
ATT Store

Placed my order this morning. Nice service at the store. Of course they unaware of the pre order info.....corporate screw up.

Well it's been nice having the first gen iphone for two years, great phone…now relegated to an ipod for music

$299 plus tax:apple::apple :D:D:D

jtimbre

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Is there a delivery option? Because standing in line is very 1980s. Or Soviet Union.

Don't you get the iPhone shipped to your house if you order it online with att.com/wireless? I was under the impression that was shipped right to your door. I could be wrong; go figure if they make you drive to the store at 7am...

JT

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Then why do some people get eligibility in July, when they signed the very same two-year contract I did. This is the question no one seems to be able to answer.

It depends how much you spend per month and whether or not you're late on bills.

bbeers

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2007
Maryland
Yep, mine says I have to wait until Jan. 2010 to get the discounted prices. Makes sense since they subsidized the 3G's price, but still bummer. :(

I have you one better even. I added my wife to my family plan and got here a 3G and now ATT is saying we both have to wait until Jan 2010 to upgrade. The real kicker is I have a 4GB 2G iPhone. Which they stopped sell as of September of 2007. Why do I have to wait. I haven bought a subsidized phone in like 4 years, but I am not eligible until Jan 2010.

dead76

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2008
No matter what line you will be in, bend over and make sure you are well lubricated.
:rolleyes:

airlights

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
Henderson, NV
I wish I could afford this on launch day, but I figured it's for the best. Getting a new iPhone will most likely be less stressful around my birthday, July 21st.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Am I the only one having trouble finding a link to preorder the iPhone 3GS on the att.com/wireless page? There is a "Add a Line" button by the 3GS image, but nothing else. I have a 1G iPhone that is up for renewal, so I know I'm eligible for the upgrade.

Would be a lot easier to pick it up at 7AM since the store is only a few miles from my work...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.