iPhone 3GS - No new SMS tones

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Lucbert, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Lucbert macrumors regular

Lucbert

I'm just wondering what you opinion on this is...
    I always felt like the iPhone didn't have enough sms tones and the ones that are there aren't really that good in my opinion.

I was really looking forward to the new tones and I think it's absolutely ridiculous that Apple didn't include the 3G or 3GS.

The 4.2 info site on Apple.com says nothing about the tones only being available to iPhone 4 users so it was fair to assume that they'd be available for us 3GS users, too.

I know that Apple doesn't have to give us anything for free, but not even giving 3GS owners a couple of SMS tones?

I used to be a big fan of Apple and it's products, mainly because of the fact that they didn't become outdated as quick as most other products, but now this doesn't seem to be the case anymore...
    :(

2. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

I really can't believe this.

Apple has truly hit a new low with this decision.

3. TJMeier macrumors member

I thought I remembered a post somewhere saying there would be new sms tones. Limiting this to new hardware is ridiculous as obviously older models can handle a new sound.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So the 3GS cannot support the new text tones?:rolleyes:
    No wonder people jb their phones and always will.

5. Joakim Färdig macrumors newbie

I sincerely hope that it's some kind of sick joke :D .

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm really disgusted to see Apple do this. There is no reason they couldn't provide this in the update. What about those still locked in their 2 year contract with an iPhone 3GS... this is ridiculous, especially because they STILL sell the 3GS (8GB) too

7. milani macrumors 68000

milani

As much as I agree with everyone else that this was a really shady move by Apple, can you 3GS owners honestly say you WANT those God awful SMS tones?

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Bummer. I am in the middle of updating my 3GS right now and was looking forward to the new SMS tones. Oh well. I'll have to wait for iPhone 5 next summer.

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't want them, but this really is an all time low. I should have them whether I want to use it or not.

10. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Oh I completely agree. I'm just saying, not only did they exclude people, but the tones are ****** anyway. And they ignored what nearly everyone is ACTUALLY asking for: custom (as in I make my own) SMS tones.

11. The Big Al macrumors newbie

I thought....

But maybe I misread, but I wasn't aware of "new" tones, just the ability to do custom tones? I guess I just misread though? Anyone who has a 3GS and has done the update want to enlighten the rest of us?

I tried to update just a few moments ago, but the phone bricked halfway through (not sure why, but iTunes crashed). Luckily I rescued the phone without too much trouble, but I am "back" on 4.1 where I plan to stay until I decide to risk updating again.

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have an iP4 and it has the ring tones
    My GF has a 3GS and doesn't have the new tones

13. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I wasn't aware of new text (SMS) tones until earlier today when I looked at the apple.com/ios page and noticed it. It didn't say anything about it being an iPhone 4 only update. But alas, I just finished my 4.2 update on my 3GS and the same old SMS tones are still there.

14. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

'Tis true - no new tones on the 3GS. And dangit, I wanted my phone to bark when my Dawg sent me a text. :mad: That's ok though. I'm just happy to have my iPhone. :)

I do find this strange though, because my clock alarm will bark at me. :confused:

15. milani macrumors 68000

milani

No. Custom tones would be the same as custom ringtones, i.e. users being able to sync custom made sounds to their device to use as SMS tones. Everyone wants this feature, which is exactly why Apple isn't giving it to us.

The 'new' SMS tones are just a collection of sound effects that are absolutely terrible. They are all sound effects that would be appropriate in a cartoon, but certainly not for an SMS tone.

If you want to help us to actually get custom SMS tones consider signing this petition (I didn't make this, but a lot of people have signed it so far, so maybe it'll gain some traction):

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/custom-sms-alert-sounds-for-iphone/

16. The Big Al macrumors newbie

Grrrrrr..... the ONLY tone I find tolerable is the original tone. I can't stand any of the other tones. Why oh Why Apple?? You've become just as bad, or even worse than Microsoft...

17. Bolo4u macrumors member

Okay, I have the 3GS, and now I have the ability to use AirPrint (I don't have an airprint enabled printer) and to AirPlay whatever (I have no airplay gadets either) but..... I cannot have additional SMS tones, or the ability to select a specific SMS tone for a given contact? I don't get it.

18. Blakadher macrumors newbie

iOS 4.2 actually does give the ability on the 3GS to specify a different SMS tone by contact. It just didn't give the new SMS tones that are now available on the IP4.

19. dusty118 macrumors newbie

this is sad. i updated my software this morning and i was looking to see what NEW SMS tones they put in this new version of IOS and, there are none. like my 16 gb iphone 3gs cant hold 17 tones but yet can hold 500 songs this is bull crap! i still love :apple:

iMac 21.5 inch, iPhone 3G S, Acer Aspire One