iPhone 3GS out of warranty - expectations?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by staeit, Jul 23, 2011.

1. staeit macrumors member

Hey all,

My wife's 16GB iPhone 3GS is out of warranty, but is suffering from what is clearly a defect in the hardware. Basically for the last few months on and off it would randomly crash when using different apps, or even when taking it off the charger and unlocking the screen. I did a restore after putting it in DFU, and then when it tried to copy all the songs back on it gives an error saying it cannot copy to the device. I tried with both my laptop and her MacBook Pro, with a legitimate Apple cable, and the same thing happens.

I'm planning on a trip to the Apple Store today - any idea what to expect (as far as cost, etc. because it's out of warranty)? Note that I am in Canada.

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

An out of warranty replacement will cost $199 (US) + tax. I wouldn't doubt its the same price in Canada.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Give it a shot.
    Their policy is to charge $199 for an out of warranty replacement.
    You could have got an additional year of Applecare warranty and would have cost you much less though.

4. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

I have a 3GS that has a loose ringer switch. Unfortunately, I bought this iPhone used so it was out of warranty and I had no power to purchase apple care for this. I researched this and I now know that, like others have said above, it costs $199 for a replacement. I'm just going to deal with this issue for a while and whenever the next iPhone comes out, I will either buy that or an iPhone 4. Then again the price of the new one on ebay is going to be pathetic.

5. staeit thread starter macrumors member

Well I guess it coulda been worse. I met a genius and he said I could replace it for $89 since it was so recently out of warranty. I have a couple months to make a decision. Just sucks cause it is Definitely a hardware issue that is no fault of my own, and it appeared so shortly after warranty was up. Phone still works tho so my wife will take her chances...
    Somewhat disappointed cause I have heard others been offered a replacement for free (out of warranty)

6. barebackbadger8 macrumors 6502

barebackbadger8

slightly different, my iphone 3gs 16gb got a crack in the plastic by the dock connector.
    it was 32 days out of warranty, and the apple genius replaced it without any questions asked for a new one (refurb?) with a 90 day warranty free of charge

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I would take that offer, sooner rather than later. From what you're describing, my guess is that the flash storage is going bad. the errors with copying and odd crashes would point to that. Over time, it may get worse.

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

You didn't mention why you waited a couple of months to take it in when it was a closer to the warranty end date? From what I've seen here time is not on your side for out-of-warranty repairs/replacements. And you're going to wait a couple months to make a decision? As a previous poster mentioned I would also jump on that offer and not assume the $89 is open ended. Of course whenever the iPhone 5 is released all the other models will lose some value and you might be able to pick one up cheap. Just my US$.02.

9. staeit thread starter macrumors member

it's stories like this that frustrate me with my own experience. Maybe I'll give it a second shot. I feel a) that two months out of warranty should warrant an exception and b) apple has more than enough money, what do they need my $89 for. Blah...

10. staeit thread starter macrumors member

it only crashed like once a week or less when the warranty was still active. I didnt think that was significant at the time to take it in for replacement. As for the open endedness of the offer, I got the business card of the genius who offered me this, he said it was on the table for awhile. I personally think it's a good idea but my wife doesn't want to spend the extra cash since the phone works. I do agree it probably will get worse so we'll probably end up doin it.

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

They don't have an iPhone tree and it costs money to make iphones

12. staeit thread starter macrumors member

Sure, but the iPhone I give them (+ $89 in exchange for the replacement) will be used for parts to make more refurb iPhones.

13. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Yeah, my wife is the sensible one, too. :) It's good that you got contact information and hopefully he doesn't get a different job! You bring up an interesting point. Besides trying a different genius or two, if you haven't done this already mention how the problem started while under warranty and if they can verify it using their diagnostic software. If they can I imagine that would make your position much stronger for a kind hearted genius. And even though it's 2011, have your wife take it and all the better if she has an attractive mom/sister/friend/daughter. Heck, also bring an attractive guy to keep your options open. Where I live you never know which way the Genius is going to swing. :D

14. hcho3 macrumors 68030

While I did hear about people got so lucky with out of warranty devices, I am not sure what you were expecting. They are lucky ones, but apple is not obligated to replace devices with expired warranties. 89 dollars sound very generous. It's a lot better than 199 dollars.

If you were expecting it to be free, then you are obviously asking for something that makes no sense.