iPhone 3GS Prices-I understand now. i think

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dlamin517, Jun 8, 2009.

1. dlamin517 macrumors 6502

$199/$299 "New Customer Pricing"/"Standard Pricing"
    You are eligible for this price point if you:
    -Are signing up for a brand new 2 yr contract(iPhone or no iPhone)
    -Have had your iPhone 3g for exactly 1 year. People who bought their iPhone 3g on launch days will be eligible for this price on 7/12/09
    -Your current contract has expired and your previous 2yr contract is up

$399/$499
    "Early Upgrade Pricing"
    You are eligible for this price point if you:
    -Are in the middle of your contract(iPhone or no iPhone)

$599/$699 "No Commitment Pricing"
    -You want to buy it without a contract

2. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

It's more complicated than that...I'm in the middle of my contract (started it with my iPhone 3G last July) yet I'm being told I have to pay $699 AND that is with a contract as far as I know.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I bought my iPhone 3G in Nov and I just checked, it told me $399 for an early upgrade on the 16gb model. i'm not on a family plan, just myself.

4. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Same thing with me, but I got my 3G in January (as a new customer to AT&T). And it is just me on my plan.

Also, has anyone heard about paying a $75 fee if you are mid contract to to get the $199 price? I heard this and never got any confirmation.

5. dave006 macrumors 68020

Well here is the official AT&T Table:

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=1574#tab4

Without more details on your account, we can only guess as to why you are not eligible for the early upgrade pricing of $399 / $499.

Is your contract in good standing without any late payments or billing disputes? Did you recently purchase another phone from AT&T on this line?

It could also just be a mistake in the system, what does OLAM stay is your "Upgrade Eligible" date?

Dave

6. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

Very nice! :)
    So, all people have to do now is take two things into consideration:
    1) When did you buy your iPhone3G and has it been 12 months yet?
    2) Have you ever missed a payment or made a late payment?

To find out your eligibility date, just go to www.apple.com, click on iPhone, then click on "buy iPhone." It will ask for your mobile number and some quick info and then it will tell you your eligibility date.

Since AT&T sells refurbished phones, I'm surprised they don't have a "trade in" price.

Attached Files:

7. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Upgraded from a Cingular 2125 (HTC 2125) last July to an iPhone 3G on July 14th. Paid $499...which was full price at the time but apparently was the "early upgrade option". My upgrade eligiblity went from 10/15/08 to 12/15/09 when I bought the iPhone 3G and that is what it remains.

Good Standing. No Billing Disputes. No New Phones. Lowest Voice Plan with no texting (texting is actually blocked on my account)...so $80 per month. Only thing close to a late payment was when I had to change the expiration date on my credit card...but the manual payment made it by the due date and nothing was "Past Due".

8. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Aren't these two the same thing? If you have your iPhone 3G for one year you are in the middle of your contract... :confused:

9. dlamin517 thread starter macrumors 6502

they are but i believe that 3g iphone owners get special privileges for upgrading to the new iphone.

10. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Since when?

Haven't people been whining about since the keynote?

11. dlamin517 thread starter macrumors 6502

that is how it worked last year...:rolleyes:

12. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

What do you mean?

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No one has special privileges for the new iPhone (not even previous iPhone 3G users).

Last time (1st Gen to 3G) the special treatment happened because 1st Gen iPhone owners paid full price and received no subsidy for the phone. This time, AT&T paid a subsidy and in order to keep themselves in business must follow the established rules or upgrading your line (in other words the waiting period).

In other words, all iPhone 3G customers are not entitled to the $199/$299 price points. Only new customers, people who's contracts are up or after the 18 month period, and people who are 1st Gen iPhone owners (never upgraded) with expiring contracts.

Simple...

14. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Oh god… *palm to face time*…
    There are no special privileges. A special iPhone members VVIP club?

Last year the upgrade was from an unsubsidised fully paid up iPhone (1st Gen) to a contract bound subsidised iPhone (3G)…

Now that you are in a contract you can't get out unless you buy yourself out.

This is hardly rocket science to get to grips with…

15. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

Unfortunately it is for many of the non-business savvy people Apple is fortunate to have as consumers.

16. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

where are you from? I am in no way being sarcastic it's just that you spell subsidized with an s at the end instead of z. Is it spelled differently in other countries?

17. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Very true.
    A lot of iPhone junkies just cannot get their heads around this one it seems. :)

UK… it is spelt with an S here. Although it used to be a Z… according to Oxford English Spelling. However in modern day use (newspapers etc.) the Z has been replaced with an S. Link.

18. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

Actually, those of us who have had an iPhone3G for at least 12 months are eligible for a $399 upgrade instead of the full $599 price. So yes, we are being given a special discount. We aren't paying the $199 but we don't have to pay the $599 either. AT&T is letting us upgrade in the middle of our contract for only $399.
    (see the image in post number 6 on this thread)

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Which is why I highlighted or bolded in the only reasons to qualify for the $199/$299 price points. I never mentioned in-between as those cases vary vastly.

20. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

why thank you for all the info :D

21. egk69 macrumors 6502

ahhh, i dont understand this!

I buy my iphone 3G last december, for the early upgrade (yeah 500 for the 16GB, ouuch!)

and my mom buy a cellphone (LG shine) like 2 months ago

when i check on ATT, her account can take a iPhone 3G or 3GS for the Early upgrade price (399 or 499)
    and my account its not elegible!!, it will be elegible in about 14 months!, hehehehe

Could i just go buy it with her account, and somehow then change the sims and make ATT change the data plan to my # ???

offcouse i would do this if i can find someone willing to pay a good amount of $$ for my 3G, other wise i wont do it, im not paying 500 again, it has been only 6 months since i did the same thing, hehe