IPHONE 3GS questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PUTALE, Dec 15, 2009.

1. PUTALE macrumors member

hi, i got a few question about iphone 3gs. i have serached online and cna't find a definite answer. so I thought i would ask.

i got a really good deal on ipohone 3gs. so I am thinking of getting it to use on my current ATT plan which has no dat aplan. I understand that if I want to use iphone att requires data plan. HOwever, i don't want that charge and saw that it's possible to block it without incurring any charges. (if someone can confirm and tell me how, i will be appreciated).

now, i got another issue is that i found online that if I do not have any data, my voicmail won't work. So does that mean that people cannot leave any voicemail to me? if so, any way aroun dit?

another q:

what exactly would I be missing if I have no data plan and block it with att?

thansk a lot guys.

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Visual voicemail won't work. People will still be able to leave you messages, and you will be able to listen to them by dialing your own phone number and entering your PIN. It will be regular voicemail, just like on any other phone.

3. PUTALE thread starter macrumors member

so everything will work as normal then. I can still make call receive call and get voicemail then. I don't care too much on texting or internet if I can get the internet with wifi.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, like mentioned above.
    You'll get to use regural voicemail but not visual voicemail.
    No MMS messages but regural text messages would go thru fine.

5. josielinnea macrumors regular

josielinnea

I really don't get why you want an iphone at all, if you plan on not having a dataplan.
    What kind of a phone do you have at the moment? Do you realize that almost all features on the iphone requires a dataconnection? Like mail, mms, facebook, the app store, almost all the apps..
    Sure you could use WiFi, but you'd still miss out on a lot.

6. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Just get an iPod Touch. Save yourself the trouble.

7. Surely Guest

Surely

Seriously.

If you're too cheap to pay for the data plan, get an iPod touch.

8. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Agree with this. The iPhone is about using it as a portable internet device and having a phone too.

9. PUTALE thread starter macrumors member

i know. i just want 1 device for all so I don't have to carrry 2 devices. plus I love the iphone's web functionality (much better than any one out there) the touchscreen etc.

i really have no use for texting and sms so I don't care about them.

10. Surely Guest

Surely

You will have the same "web functionality" with an iPod touch.

Texting and SMS are the same thing, and the $30/month data plan does not include text messaging, so you wouldn't be paying for it anyway.

11. PUTALE thread starter macrumors member

thank you so much for all of the feedbacks.

I know that it makes no sense to have the phone without the data plan but I just have no need for it. Also, I got an iPod touch already and am thinking of consolidate all of these portable devices to 1. that's why I am wondering if this is possible so that I can still have the phone with me with my favorite music player.

from what I see, the phone will work without any issue. The only thing I will be missing is the voicemail feature (which I don't use). I guess there's a potential issue that ATT would slap the data plan but I read that I can call them to block it (not sure if this is true).

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Dont listen to them saying to get an ipod touch or that the iphone is useless without data. Not everyone has the same needs/wants and everyone can and should pick whatever makes them happy. Theres many many people using iphones without a data plan.
    AT&T will not add it on automaticly without your consent, they havent done so to anyone no matter what misinformation some post here. You can call them up using a different cellphone and have them block all carrier data to your account. Then take out the simcard and put it inside theiphone and you're good.

13. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

From all I've read, AT&T require you to have a data plan if you connect an iphone to their network, and you can't talk them out of it. They'll charge you the $30/month automatically.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You heard/read wrong.
    That is false.

15. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The AT&T contract does allow them to require a data plan. That they haven't yet done it does not make it impossible.

16. NinjaKid macrumors member

Contract?

If he already owns the phone and goes to AT&T for service why does he need a contract? he don't. The contract is only needed on a new iphone which this is not since he has it already. He just needs to sign up for service and since he is not in a contract he does not need to be forced into taking the data plan.

17. Surely Guest

Surely

"I want a Ferrari, but I don't want/need to drive fast. Ferrari dealership, can you slap a '92 Civic engine in it so I don't have to pay as much?"

18. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

This is about the dumbest analogy I've seen used in an argument to date.

Is he asking to modify the iPhone in any way? No. Can the iPhone be used in the EXACT same way without data as it can with it? Yes. You just have to be on wifi which is FAR from hard to find.

19. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You want to block the data plan and not incur the charges? Where did you hear this? (I love how you ask to be shown how to do this :p)

To the OP I think you're SOL on this one, either buy the phone as it's meant to be or go get a Droid or Storm or Pre or something else that fits your price range better.

20. Surely Guest

Surely

Really? The dumbest? Well, thank you. You made my day. PM me and I'll send you my address so you can send me my reward. I see that you like sarcasm, so I hope that you enjoyed mine. :)

The OP wants to have the privilege of owning an iPhone without having to pay for it. He/she basically wants a crippled version of an iPhone..... which is an iPod touch.

21. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Don't all of these phones require a data plan as well?

Well I'm happy that you're lighter in your spirits than the last time I used it on you. Makes the MR experience that much more enjoyable. :D

So what you're trying to say is "an iPhone without data is an iPod touch"? Weird. For the short time (about a week) that I had an iPod touch I don't remember being able to make calls or send text messages with it. :confused:

22. Surely Guest

Surely

I'm always light in spirits....... No, really. I am.:D

You'll have to remind me though..... I can't remember what you're referring to. If you;d like, feel free to PM me details to keep this thread on topic.

To me, the iPhone's main attraction is it's ability to send and receive data anywhere anytime. If it was only available in the way the OP wants it, I wouldn't have bought it.

Also, there are Apps that can be used on the iPod touch to make and receive calls (eg. Skype), and to send text messages (eg. Ping!)

23. iAddiction macrumors newbie

Ya, +1

If you feel this way, get an iPOD Touch and keep what you got.

24. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

The two words I bolded in your post are very important.

To me, the iPhone's main attraction is saving me from pulling out my laptop and powering it on only to read a few emails and shut it down. I don't use Facebook. I don't come here unless I'm at work and have nothing better to do (which is entirely too often, but that's beside the point), and checking my Twitter feed usually gives me something to do when I get home from work just long enough to unwind before getting into bed.

I think the $30/mo is a fair deal for people who need to have data anytime/anywhere but I'm not one of those people and I'm sure there's plenty out there just like me. If/when AT&T decides to offer tiered data plans I'll consider paying for one of them. Until then, there's no way I'm paying just as much for my data as someone who has to constantly be reminded by AT&T that they're going over their 5GB "soft cap" for the month.

Edit: Forgot to address your app argument. I bought my iPod touch in January of 2008. Apps didn't exist.

25. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

People have different needs. :rolleyes: