IPhone 3GS to stay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gadget123, Jul 1, 2011.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

I read on the blogs here there's a rumour it will stay as an entry level iPhone.

Could they not give it a minor refresh retina display lower than the iPhone 4 same as IPod touch?

I would call it a 3GS 2 and also add an A4 processor so it handles IOS5 better especially as the old model is showing age now. I think it needs a few tweaks because they should be able to drop the IPhone 4 once the IPhone 4S/5 comes. Would please those who want a curve back and the new IPhone will probably be the same as the current 4 model with better camera and A5 processor.

Anybody agree?

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Well, why should they?
    They want to make the iPhone 3GS cheap, possibly for the prepaid market. Adding the mentioned features would probably increase the costs and defeat the purpose. There's no point making a "3GS 2". In fact, the "3GS 2" would just be the iPhone 4.

3. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well the IPod touch sells for £180 with a lesser retina display. It would make the 3GS a bit more Market friendly with phones like last years Galaxy S.

4. edk99 macrumors 6502a

What you are describing is the iPhone 4 (upgrade chip to a4 and retina display). So why not keep the iPhone 4 as the low cost option and get rid of the 3gs.

If the 3gs sticks around it will be for markets outside the US and EU.

5. dickdaney macrumors regular

The "older people" at my job are buying 3gs' like crazy. The 3gs at $49 is increasing apple market share and putting "cool" iphones in the hands of people that wouldn't otherwise by a $200-$300 phone. It's still a great phone and much better than all the mid-range android phones. Most people buying the 3gs at this point don't care about ios5, 6, 10 or whatever. This lady that works for me has a 3gs and she is still on 4.2, or whatever was on it from the factory. Apple can keep the 3gs around as long as carriers are willing to subsidize it at a ridiculously low price. Grandma's can drop $50 bucks and have an iphone and look cool (and still be cheap).

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Right. It just doesn't make sense for them to spend money developing something better. In the prepaid market, phones are generally cheap and not very high end. Likely, they won't be upgradable past the version they ship with either. The 3GS fits this criterion rather well.

7. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Yeah, I got a friend who finally went from his dumbphone (of which he was perfectly happy with) to an iphone 3GS (mostly cause his parents were bugging him) and the only reason he gave in was cause it was cheap enough (50 dollars).

I don't think he cares too much about having the latest/greatest, after all, he was happy with his dumbphone and had to be pushed to go to a smart phone (he does seem to like the smart phone from what I've seen but I don't think it being able to do the latest/greatest is all that important to him. He's just happy with the features it does have).

8. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Why would they redesign the 3Gs? It'd be like an iPhone 4 with a worse body.

9. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Maybe the old iPhone shell is cheaper to make?

Don't some people prefer that design? It's probably the HD video and good camera that bumps up the price of the IPhone 4 though and I'm sure the 3GS had an 8GB version so it could all be done on the cheap.

10. tivoboy macrumors 68030

where to buy

Does anyone know WHERE I can buy a 3gs today WITHOUT having to extend an AT&T contract? My colleague broke their phone and wants to be able to upgrade when the Iphone 5 comes out, but AT&T says with contract extension NOW they can't upgrade AT ALL even with an extra charge later. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but regardless

Where can one get one now for reasonable coin?

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You can always buy one on Ebay, craigslist, or even Apple (and pay MSRP of 399 i believe).

I'm not entirely sure, but I think AT&T has lied to you.

12. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Agreed! As long as the 3GS can handle iOS5 well as is, it gives them a low end phone that will sell like hell, or maybe even be free with a contract soon. Apple can get a lot more people signed up for iTunes that will start spending money. As a shareholder, I couldn't agree more!:D