IPhone 3GS vs iPhone 4 (designwise)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Reventon16, Aug 1, 2010.

?

Which design would u pick?

Poll closed Sep 3, 2010.
  1. 3GS design

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  2. 4 Design

26 vote(s)
    83.9%
  1. Reventon16 macrumors newbie

If apple release didn't release the 3G, 3GS, and the 4 and on 2011 they release two phones with same features but different design. Which 1 would u pic the 1 with 3GS design or the 1 with iPhone 4 design? I would pick the 1 with the 3GS design.

Attached Files:

2. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

3GS if the new one still had the antenna issue.

3. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

4 all the way. By same features I assume you mean same antenna performance, so definitely the 4.

4. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Visually the design of the 4 is much better, just looks more modern and up to date. The 3GS looks outdated and cheaper by comparison.

However, in actually using the phone...not just looking at it...the 3GS is much more comfortable to hold. The rounded edges just fit your hand better. I find the 4 digs into you hand and even into your ear a bit, not a lot, but just noticeable enough if you are using the phone for a while.

5. Mjmar macrumors 65816

The iPhone 4 is nicer to look at, and the 3GS is nicer to hold. I'd definitely take a 3GS design if it had all the 4's features.

6. Reventon16 thread starter macrumors newbie

the antenna performance wont be on the 3gs cuz of the disign and thats not a design thats an issue.

7. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

8. Pillar macrumors 6502

Pillar

9. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

The 3Gs looks prehistoric next to the iPhone 4, and I have both. If anything the iPhone 4 resembles more the original iPhone which was way way better than the 3G and 3GS.

10. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

4. 3GS looks like a cheaper, fatter plastic toy in comparison.

11. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

IPhone 4 all the way. My old 3G feels cheap and plastic now. (cuz it is)

The iPhone 4 looks and feels amazing! And performs even better then it looks/feels!!

12. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

I prefer everything about the 4 over the 3GS, except the color. My 3GS is elegant white.

13. nonocei macrumors member

No. Not really.

I loved my 3GS, but the 4 just looks and feels a bit more "high end" to me.

14. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

15. JonBook Pro macrumors member

I avoided the iPhone 3G and 3GS because of the plastic material. So naturally, I do prefer the iPhone 4 - design wise.

Not sure about durability.

16. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

Technically the 3G/S is a more ergonomic design, the rounded back leaves much less opportunity for sharp corners. Furthermore, you could perhaps argue that since there are less sharp corners, the device is more capable of withstanding a knock to the corner since its more rounded and could spread the hit over a larger surface area.

However (and obviously this is a subjective question and many subjective answers):

I prefer the iPhone 4, because to me...

Its functionally much more efficient, no rounded back means circuit boards and batteries can be more efficiently juggled around. Its a nice step toward functionalism dictating the ergonomics. (Incidentally I loved the original iPod whose shape was dictated by its main component (i.e. a 1.8" hd) and all the components were layered up like a sandwich, defined by that principle component) The sacrifice of ergonomics in hand (roundy) is one I'm willing to make for the more clinical, straight lines of the iPhone 4

The bezel! no more chrome! ever! please!

Dare I say the concept of the antenna providing major structural support and providing a secondary function is absolutely brilliant (if it worked)

The inclusion of more machined, metal parts gives it a much more precise feel than the plastic shell surrounding the 3G/S and lest we forget the hairline crack problem of those plastic shells that we suffer from to this very day!

17. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

If all things being equal I would choose the iP4.

If all things not being equal I would still choose the iP4.:cool:

18. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

19. thaddeusbear macrumors member

I still have an original, my kids have our 3Gs. Wife and I now have ip4. The latest has the best design.

20. ddavid macrumors regular

I LOVE how the black line on the bottom of the iPhone 4 visually balances out the volume buttons!

I like the iPhone 4 design better but the 3Gs feels really good in your hands.

21. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

Sure, it does have the best design, although only cosmetically.

22. helloimD4NNY macrumors regular

I think the 3GS looks better, but the 4 feels better. Also, the 4 is also a fingerprint magnet(the back side) compared to the 3GS.

I'd probably pick the 4 design because it is more distinguished from the 2G than the 3GS.

23. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I love the way the iPhone 4 looks but I would probably choose the 3GS. 1) It feels better 2) Less fragile

24. nishishei macrumors regular

I don't get Apple's fetish with Asian women in all of their marketing ads. And the Asian woman is always talking to some dorky white dude.

[​IMG]