Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
The new iphone 3gs is definitely much more powerful hardware than the previous version, and with os 3.0 we will hopefully see external game controllers that will really allow us to take full advantage of this phone as a portable gaming device.

I was doing some research and I found several reports, even well known game developers that are claiming that the new powervr sgx in the 3gs is as powerful as the PSP graphics processor.

unfortunately...this may not be quite true..

i found this informations that directly compares the psp and 3gs in 3d graphics ability...

"Well the iPhone 3GS is fast, but not that fast. According to AnandTech’s report, the 3GS is running a PowerVR SGX, most likely at 200 MHz. at that speed, it can push about 7 million triangles per second, and fill at rate of 250 million pixels per second.

Compare that to the PSP, which pushes 33 million triangles per second, with a fill rate of 664 million pixels per second. (source)"

KEEP IN MIND, this is with anandtechs thoughts of the chip being a SGX 520.

There is a rumor that the iphone 3gs actually has the more powerful SGX 535, which pushes 28 million triangles per second (couldnt find the fill rate specs)...but that would be much closer to the PSPs specs...we can hope that it does indeed have this more powerful PoweVR chip.

just thought I would share this data...with the recent news about the PSP go and competition for the iPhone.

source for above data: http://www.hardcoreware.net/graphics-specs-compare-iphone-3gs-to-psp-to-ds/
http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2009/0...-power-beyond-psp-says-mobile-game-developer/

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
The PSP as a gaming device is a well placed competitor to the iPhone. However, it is supposed to be higher in standards and graphics due to it being mostly a gaming device than anything else. The iPhone on the other hand, deals with the phone part and pretty much what people can think.

I can see the PSP winning as a gaming platform. After all, they have been longer in the market, so its expected they know a but more on portable gaming devices. Unlike Apple who started gaming a year ago.

So final results, yes, the PSP will win as a gaming unit, in the rest the iPhone will shine or just match the PSP.

SephirothXR

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
John Carmack, who makes games for id Software and makes games like Doom and Quake, said that the iPhone was more powerful than the PSP and DS combined. Granted, the 3GS is more likely to be able to support these games at higher framerates and whatnot, but if Apple wants to get into gaming, they'll have to do a lot of preparing for the iPhone 4G and let developers know in advance to have LAUNCH GAMES available to have something really special for a lot of previous 3G owners.

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
yes...the iphone has to achieve a lot wider array of skills compared to a PSP....the PSP simply throws polygons around...WELL...and does a few other things.
the iphone has to have the phone app, mail app, and a bunch of other stuff in the memory....along with playing any games.
I think the games for the iphone will really start to take off when we see a standard external controller that many developers are programming into their games...so we wont have to buy a certain controller for each game. Im hoping it wont be too long till some sort of standard is made.
also, when the multicore iphone is released...games will really start to become a large part of the picture...one core powering a game while another core takes car of background tasks...would work great for gaming on a phone.

coolwater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
I wish 3GS can replace my PSP, but I only play sports games and there is no way I can experience the same level of control with touchpad/buttons. But, I don't want to see physical buttons on my iPhone. I guess I will just have to keep my PSP.

argor

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2009
Compare that to the PSP, which pushes 33 million triangles per second, with a fill rate of 664 million pixels per second. (source)"

dont take a mark on sony bs numbers those numbers are purely marketing
psp cant go any where close to these numbers

while imtec is one of the rare company's that give out correct numbers that
can easily be attained

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
You people have a really weird way of comparing gaming platforms. OK, so one does X triangles per second and the other does Y. Who the bleep cares?

I know all of the hardware stats like that are important to developers so they have the tools to create with. But I don't think it really matters as much as people make it out. Despite lower graphic capabilities, the Nintendo DS/DSi completely outsells the PSP. The same goes for the Nintendo Wii vs. the Xbox 360 and PS3. What matters is if the developers make something that's fun to play.

I own a Wii, and the best two games I have played on it are Zelda: Twilight Princess and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09. Both have very good graphics, but obviously not the sharpness or HD quality of what could be done on a PS3 or 360. But really, I don't care. The Wii controller allows more realistic controls, like swinging a sword or swinging a golf club. THAT is what separates that console, just as the touchscreen separates the iPhone from the other gaming devices.

One key problem consoles have had since whatever Pong was played on is the input interface. When you have physical buttons, you're limited to whatever you can do with those combinations. When you change controls like the Wii and iPhone have done, developers are given a LOT of freedom. One of my favorite games on the iPhone is a skee ball game. It would suck using any buttons, but due to the touchscreen it's a good simulation of the skill of skee ball.

I could go on forever, but my point should be clear. What makes the iPhone a better platform than the PSP in my opinion in the interface. There may be things like certain sports games that require some buttons, but that could be fixed with an addon.

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
^thanks for your rant...
although it doesnt disprove anything that has been posted in here..

yes...the DS can be entertaining....and we know that it doesnt have anywhere near the processing and graphics power of the others..

my thread was commenting on the actual ability of the graphics chip...and my sources were compairing these as well..

I wasnt claiming that the iphone wont be as good a game system as the PSP...it just may not have the graphics power of the PSP...

as you have made extremely clear...that DOES NOT mean that the iphone wont be more fun to play...
thanks for getting all bent out of shape!

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
PSP kicks the iPhone's ass gaming wise. I've been using gameboys since I was 5, and the no button/all virtual approach doesn't work.

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009
The quality of PSP games is far, far beyond anything on the iPhone. How can you possibly compare FFVII: Crisis Core to Paper Toss?

iPhone games are meant to pass time with mildly entertaining gimmicks. The PSP is a full entertainment handheld device. Until the iPhone moves past .99 games and onto the real deal, it will never enter the same arena as the DS and PSP.

You can count the number of quality iPhone games on 2 hands.:rolleyes:

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I've been using gameboys since I was 5, and the no button/all virtual approach doesn't work.

That's the problem. You've been using Gameboys/PSPs since you were 5. Wait till a generation of kids that's been using touchscreen devices since they were 5 grow up. Games with buttons will end up in museums along with the pinball machines...

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
They are going to use Sony ericson phones, they would be better off starting from scratch, or better yet buy an iPhone 3gS open it up see what its made of, and just put better hardware and software in the PSP phone, because they know who their competition is.

coolwater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
That's the problem. You've been using Gameboys/PSPs since you were 5. Wait till a generation of kids that's been using touchscreen devices since they were 5 grow up. Games with buttons will end up in museums along with the pinball machines...

I doubt it. Obviously, you only play cell phone games.

It depends on the game. Games like golf will be okay without physical d-pad/buttons. But, if the next generation kids want to play the best basketball or soccer game, or Super Mario Kart, they will want the physical d-pad/buttons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.