iPhone 3GS Wifi Cap?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jctevere, Mar 29, 2010.

1. jctevere macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I got a iPhone 3GS 32GB running on 3.1.3, not jailbroken or unlocked or anything. My question is, not only why is the latency so high on 3G, but also on Wifi. The TCP delay is off the charts and its just terrible, this is a piece of junk, my original iPhone was never like this... Even on Wifi, I have the fios 35/35 symmetrical package. I seem to cap out at about 15mbps (after testing every single iPhone speed testing app in the appstore) most don't even go that high, with many capping me around 8mbps, if I can even get that at all, and like I said, the TCP delay and latency are horrible, this shouldn't happen on Wifi. Its not my router, network, ISP, etc, as EVERY other device in my household besides any iPhone get 35/35 mbps and less than 15ms latency. What gives?

2. aaron11193 macrumors regular

aaron11193

Karumba/Cairns/Charters Towers, QLD, Australia
    this happens on my iPod Touch 2nd gen too, speedtest.net app gives 500+ latency but i get ~100 on wired. makes me wtf, my laptop gets about the same as my desktop.

3. jctevere thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm beginning to think that AT&T is getting a bad rap, when some/most of it is Apple's fault. I had my 3GS replaced 3 times in the last 2 weeks. 2 of them were because the iPhone kept disconnecting from AT&T service while the iPhone was locked, and I wasn't getting texts, calls, etc until I unlocked it. The third one was because of a charging issue. The crap replacements I am getting just aren't cutting it. The one I have now works fine physically, but I don't think that they put the protective coatings on the screen? In all the iPhones I have ever had, I have never gotten surface scratches. On this one within about 3 days I have two very big and noticeable scratches from taking it out of my pocket - NOTHING was even in it with my pocket, I have no idea what happened, and I am also getting TONS of fine scratches that can only be seen at a certain angle.

Yes, its not all Apple, and it is a great phone when it works. But I feel like Apple is losing their comparative advantage. If they don't bump up the battery life, and performance issues in the next iPhone revision, I might seriously consider switching to an Android or blackberry in the near future after my contract is up...

Back on thread topic. With all the speed test apps, the ones I feel are the best and post the most accurate results are of course speedtest.net (free) for iPhone, and myspeed.visualware.com's version, inetQcheck (free), or the paid version has even cooler features. BUT neither one shows what I SHOULD be getting, merely, both show the highest 15mbps up and down... IMO myspeed.visualware.com is better than speedtest. It is able to test higher network speeds more accurately then speedtest, Especially UPLOAD. Same goes for the app, inetQcheck has just been released and is FULL of features and details. Check it out.

4. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

This is due to the iPhone only supporting up to wifi standard 802.11G.

G can operate at a maximum of 54Mb/s but the through put is only about 19Mb/s.

My iPhone gets up to 16Mb/s on my comcast line but anything over ~19 you're not going to see on "G" wifi.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

All iPhones are like that. They usually cap at 10-14Mb/s to save power (they all can reach 54Mb/s).

I have a Cox HSI connection with 20down / 3.5up Mb/s and I only see 10/3.5 on my iPhone.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You really expected to get the full 35mb on a phones speedtest app?:rolleyes:
    Yep, there's gotta be something wrong with the iPhone......

7. jctevere thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I did expect to get the full 35mbps on the iPhone speed test app. I had no idea it cut throughput to save power, I guess it makes sense now. Next question I have is the browsing speed over 3G capped by network speed or processor? Judging by the improved Wifi performance, I would say network, but is Wifi then processor?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, the 3GS can handle up to 7.2MB 3G connection if supported by your carrier.

9. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

7.2Mb, megabits, not MB, megabytes.
    7.2Mb/sec = .86MB/sec

Whereas over 802.11g, his theoretical maximum speed would be 54Mb/sec, or 6.44MB/sec. From what I've read, in practice, 802.11g maxes out at 27-30Mb/sec.
    That of course is under perfect conditions, and I'm sure there are many reasons nobody will ever see that speed over 802.11g.
    The most I've ever personally seen on my phone (8GB iPhone 3G) was 91xxMB/sec with the FCC speed test app.

10. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Why would you even need speeds that fast on an iPhone? Are you downloading some sort of crazy torrent on your iPhone? Geeze. Who cares if MacRumors loads in 2.1 seconds vs 2.0 seconds.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sorry about that, yes 7.2Mb or megabits.

12. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

No problem.