iPhone 3GS Will Still Be The Low-End iPhone Even After iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wordoflife, Jun 28, 2011.

1. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

via Cult of Mac - Link

---------------------------------

I actually believe this might be true because
    1) iOS 5 doesn't completely suck on the 3GS
    2) Rumors of a cheaper iPhone - sub $350 range. This is probably cheaper to make because no retina display and it's plastic.
    3) This is "a low end" phone compared to what iPhone 5 will presumably be.
    4) It uses a standard SIM, not microsim. Makes much more sense for "a low end cheap iPhone for the prepaid"

I honestly think that this is a good idea. It will still give carriers who offer the latest devices the upper hand, but it also allows those on Prepaid to get an iPhone.

Ideas?

2. skier777 macrumors 6502

Im unconvinced. Its unlike apple to keep stuff around thats too far past its prime. They must already be developing iOS6 and they probably want all of the phones that they sell at the time of the iphone5's release to be able to run that. I wouldn't be surprised if the "low-end-iphone" disappeared completely. Especially when putting it in those terms, its not appealing to be walking around with a new, low end, high end luxury phone.

3. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm not sure if you've looked at smartphones in the prepaid market, but they aren't high end. They are just that - prepaid.

This is AT&T's Prepaid smart phone. Likely, it won't be able to be upgraded to the latest version of Android, comes with a 3.2 MP camera, 3.2" screen.

[​IMG]

Prepaid phones are not high end ... I don't see the problem:confused:

4. skier777 macrumors 6502

The iphone is high end though. Im just speculating, but i feel that it would hurt the iphone brand too much to keep on such old technology. http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/phones/index.html are all examples of prepaid phones. They have some rather new and high end ones. The prepaid maket is not what it used to be (tracfone), its developed into a competitive market especially overseas, so i think the arrival of a good smart phone for the US prepaid market shouldn't be unexpected.