Iphone 3GS Without Data Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by matty1551, Jul 7, 2009.

1. matty1551 macrumors 6502

Hey guys, so ive heard of this working with the 3g but i wanted to see if any had done it with the 3gs? I dont need the data plan because ive got wifi all over the place here and it would seem to be a waste. If i call ATT and tell them I broke my phone or make up some excuse for them to drop the data will they add it back on if i start using my iphone again? Like i said before, ive heard of people doing it with the 3g but am not sure if ATT has wised up yet with the 3GS

2. moka macrumors 6502a

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Dear God, there are so many ways to say this... nop, nah-ah, negative, erm-no, no way Jose, no chance Lance, and my all time favorite, man falling of a cliff - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooo............. *psssshhhhh*

4. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

There's a way. You have to upload a fake setting so that the phone stops receiving intenet signals from AT&T... I read it on Here before. U can also do what I do and break the contract, pay the fee and transfer to tmobile. Beats paying 100 a month IMO.

5. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

6. dave006 macrumors 68020

Yes, you can drop the iPhone data plan as long as you are not using an iPhone. You don't have to make up a story about losing your iPhone.

So in your case, just have another phone that you can put your SIM into and call Customer Care. The rep will ask you for the IMEI of your other phone. Just provide it and you will be able to drop the iPhone data plan. You should also request a WIXBlock ( ask the rep to block all data ) on your line to prevent any accidental data usage. :) This will not affect your ability to have a SMS Txt plan. You will also lose Visual Voicemail as this feature requires the iPhone data plan. You should have your voicemail switched back to a normal voicemail plan to prevent some very odd SMS txt messages every time you get a voicemail message.

Yes, AT&T will know as soon as you put your SIM back into the iPhone and it connects to the AT&T network. The phone's IMEI indicates that you are using an iPhone. Type your IMEI here to see what AT&T any any other GSM carrier can see. You phone turnes you in everytime it connects to the cell network.

http://www.numberingplans.com/?page=analysis&sub=imeinr

Currently they are not re-adding a data plan. They are busy tracking down customers using an invalid data plan not customers that don't have "any" data plan. At some point they may come for you but not today. :D

Just to be clear the TOS and contract you agreeded to requires a vaild iPhone data plan if you are using an iPhone.

Dave

7. David-fr macrumors 6502

why not? i did it. just called them and say u dont need Internet taje it off my line and they did

8. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Record the phone call and get back to us, kthx.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

This is about as annoying as the original question. NO, an iPhone without a data plan is NOT an iPod touch. When you can place regular phone calls on an iPod touch, then break that claim out. Until then, please break it off.

10. matty1551 thread starter macrumors 6502

just curious, is this with a 3g or 3gs? I know it theoretically doesnt make a difference but im just curious cuz i dont wanna get caught in a bind

11. David-fr macrumors 6502

I did it last year with the 3G and this year with 3GS just say u don't need it. last year what happened was that I sahttered the 3G screen and did not want to use it a lot so I called I fix it months later and keep it without data. i this year I just one month of data and call and say I did not wanted the data plan they took it off after the third call since the first rep say he could not do it as the second one too and the third was a lovley girl. font worry about using it by accident they block it so u don't use it