iPhone 4 (4.0.1) bricked after 'appsync' update on cydia - please help or I'm dead

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ryefield, Feb 11, 2011.

1. ryefield macrumors newbie

hi. ok i'm panicing: my perfectly working jailbroken iPhone 4 running iOS 4.0.1 has updated AppSync 4 on cydia and after I hit REBOOT DEVICE the bloody thing is stuck on the Apple logo and won't start. iTunes 10 won't recognize it (although Windows does, and so do iREB and TinyUmbrella!)
    * it's actually stuck on the apple logo but with that little "respringing" circle you know? but it doesn't move a bit, just a frozen image.

Now - Is there any possible you you can come up with for me to bring it bacl to life WITHOUT having to lose all the data on it? I have loads of cydia tweaks and apps, plus loads of wallpapers that I'd hate to lose, plus risking losing all my contacts and that..
    PLEASE lads this is so important to me this bloody iPhone is my life!

* update: Something strange: after staying in that 'Apple logo+circle' for like 8 minutes it suddenly switched to normal apple logo (and stuck again, but at list that indicates something is moving inside doesn't it?)

2. maxipod12 macrumors newbie

Hey
    My Iphone does the same.
    Do you have a solution?

3. cyrusxi macrumors newbie

Im in the EXACT same situation. Please let us know if anyone has any info. Thanks.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You're probably going to have to get it into DFU mode and restore unfortunately.

And before someone else lashes into you, you didn't brick your phone.

5. cyrusxi, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011

cyrusxi macrumors newbie

wait, dont restore you phone, i found the fix... give me a few minutes to explain in detail.

first, go into your router settings and see if you iphone is connecting to it. also you need to have had SSH installed on you phone.

Next install an ssh deally on you computer. use this tutorial here:
    http://lifehacker.com/#!205090/geek-to-live--set-up-a-personal-home-ssh-server
    (ignore the Disable SSH protocol 1 thing, you dont need to bother)

after you get to "The CYGWIN sshd service was started successfully." then:

in the cygwin command thing type:
    ssh root@[your iphones ip address] dpkg -r com.sinfuliphone.installous4
    then
    ssh root@[your iphones ip address] dpkg -r com.sinfuliphone.appsync4

(by the way YES you need to uninstall installous first or appsync won't uninstall)
    get your iphones ip address from your router settings. dont type the []'s
    it will ask for a password. it will probably be "alpine" unless you changed it.
    after this is should work. i rebooted mine and it worked just before it rebooted, so maybe you dont even need to.

if you dont get a response from the SSH commands, double check the ip address. otherwise you might not have SSH installed and youre pretty much out of luck.

6. ryefield thread starter macrumors newbie

OK guv I need you to work with me on this:
    (first and foremost - you're a genius, now let's see if you manage to help me too)

As far as I know I had SHH installed (SBTools always showed me the option to de/activate it so..).
    Question:
    1.I don't know how to check if the iphone is connecting to the my home wifi network and i find it hard to believe it does as it's barely loading (doesn't go past the apple logo screen). how can I be certain?

2. I'm running windows, is this gonna be a problem?isn't there any iFile sort of thing that can run those command lines and uninstall AppSync with SSH? I tried DiskAid just to see if it recognizes the device. alas, bollocks it does :)

7. cyrusxi macrumors newbie

I didn't believe it either, but if your phone was connected to your wifi, it will while stuck like this. For a few minutes. Then it reboots and a minute later again, over and over. If you are doing this with wifi you NEED to know your iPhones ip address. So first thing you need to do is learn how to log in to your router and find the devices connected to it. This is going to be a different process for every router but it's very simple, you should have no trouble figuring it out with google.

That cygwin thing IS for windows. That's what I used. If you can connect to your iPhone some other way and send it commands, I don't see why that shouldn't work. But you're on your own trying to figure out exactly how to tweak the commands to work through USB or whatever.

8. ryefield thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so here, on my PC (desktop), the computer that is connected and managing the router, I go to Network Map and get this:
    [​IMG]

NOMI-PC = the dektop computer.
    DARKEDITION = my laptop

I don't see any other devices, does that mean my iphone is not connected to the network?

9. cyrusxi macrumors newbie

No. To get into your router, you would open your browser and navigate to something SIMILAR to "192.168.1.1". Sometimes it's 2.1. Sometimes 0.1. You never know. It might be written on your router. But you can probably just google the brand and model number. You will also need the username and password you it which is usually "admin,password" or something simple. But again, just search for it. You will find it. Once you're in, look for "DHCP clients" or something. Just click on everything until you see the names of your devices connected to the router. If you don't see the iPhone, wait a few minutes and refresh. It goes off and on over and over. If you still don't see it then it must not be connecting.

10. ryefield thread starter macrumors newbie

ok got it. but where do i see a list of devices connected? here's what i see:
    [​IMG]
    and i looked into all those options on the side, couldn't find a clue..

MATE i know this must be doing your head in and i hope you won't get fed up with mee soon, coz you are a GOD for going this (in hope it will even work)

CHEERS!

11. cyrusxi macrumors newbie

Try DHCP or network. Or everything. All routers are always different. You're really just going to have to click through everything. Look through each page, every option, until you find it. It took me a few minutes to find it on my own router and I've done stuff like this before. Just look around.

12. cyrusxi macrumors newbie

actually, it was pretty easy to find an example... here you go

Attached Files:

13. ryefield, Feb 11, 2011

ryefield thread starter macrumors newbie

***** YEAH
    lol got it guvner. listed as Johnns-iphone with ip and all.

NOW, why do you recommend using this Cygwin thingy rather then the common SSH terminals like PuTTy or even WinSCP?

I tried Putty (never used it before) and logged into my device and now i'm here (current Putty screen on the left, current Cygwin screen on right).
    [​IMG]
    What you reckon?

what directory am i suppose to be in when i type your command lines?

14. cyrusxi macrumors newbie

i cant see your screenshot... anyway, i only recommended cygwin because thats what i used, and it worked. if you want to use something else, i see no reason not to, but i have no idea if the commands would work the same or if they would require modification.

15. ryefield thread starter macrumors newbie

i see. thank you very much. i have managed to SSH into my device's directory (using Winscp which is also recommended in the link you provided). do you think I could just find those to files (packages) that **** up the booting and delete them? I'm sorry for the bother, but this Cygwin looks really complicated and you know so much more than I do about this stuff

16. cyrusxi macrumors newbie

i only know what ive learned on that tutorial. you can try that, but if you just do what the tutorial says, i promise its very simple. just install the service, enter a few commands to set it up, then enter the commands i posted.

-download from here: http://cygwin.com/
    -When it asks you what things you want to install choose "ssh" from the "net" group. let it install.
    -open cygwin and enter "ssh-host-config"
    -when it asks about "privilege separation" answer yes
    -when it asks about "create local user sshd" answer yes
    -when it asks install sshd as a service answer yes
    -when it asks for some text type "ntsec tty"
    -wait for it to set it up then type "net start sshd"

then use the commands in my original post. and youre done.

17. ryefield thread starter macrumors newbie

am i suppose to be dealing with all these downloading options and monologues or am i doing something wrong?

18. cyrusxi macrumors newbie

Yeah there's a bunch of stuff, don't worry about it. Just worry about the openssh. Let it install whatever else it needs to, then run it. All you need to worry about is checking openssh.

19. ryefield, Feb 11, 2011

ryefield thread starter macrumors newbie

this is what i get upon typing the command:
    [​IMG]
    (the service name is invalid)
    what should i expect if and when this this is done? should my iphone reboot automatically?

20. ryefield thread starter macrumors newbie

ok lad it worked! i used winSPC and fixed the commands! you are topboy son. topboy. cheeerss!

21. johnstaboii macrumors member

seriously whats your paypal your the ****ing man! I was just about to restore, and did a quick google search just to see of problems with iphones in past day and found this. Worked 100%

22. darktrine macrumors newbie

ok i found a way to get ssh on my phone while in this mode, and tunnel into my phone through usb but the ssh commands don't want to work. my phone is still in this mode

23. cyrusxi macrumors newbie

Good, I'm glad. That's what I was hoping for. I was super bummed out thinking I was going to have to restore. It's a good feeling to see there's an easier fix.

24. cyrusxi macrumors newbie

Try using the ip address "127.0.0.1"

25. darktrine, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011

darktrine macrumors newbie

its not the connection i can connect into the phone through the tunnel, but after putting in the commands, it says that the app is not installed

oh and if anyone else needs, i downloaded openssh.dep and then used ifunbox, where i put it into the cydia folder. restart and ssh should work.
    there is also a tunnel in ifunbox which can be used to connect to the phone through ur pcs ip and port 22