iPhone 4 - 4 1/2 Hour battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 007bond, Jul 7, 2011.

1. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

Is 4 1/2 hour battery life average? I used to get about 8 hours but it has been much worse lately.

2. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68030

OldSchoolMacGuy

Are you playing more games, running a jailbroken theme, or doing anything different than you were before? Also when you say you "use" to get 8 hours, how long ago was that? Any number of variables can effect the battery life, many significantly.

3. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Definitely depends on use case, what are you doing on your phone? Do you have the iOS5 beta installed?

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

If you're jailbroken and have elaborate themes installed, or have every app you own running in the multitasking bar, this could attribute to the battery life loss. Maybe try doing a restore and setting up as new to see if the problem persists. If it does, take it to an Apple store.

5. 007bond thread starter macrumors 6502a

007bond

FYI I always clear the multi-tasking bar when needed(more than 5/6 apps running) and am NOT jailbroken.

I was in the area of an apple store, and decided to drop by. They told me to restore and setup as a new iPhone. I went ahead and did that, and the only apps i'm using are the built in ones (for now). My phone is at 27% and the usage times are:

Usage: 3 Hours, 23 Minutes
    Standby: 5 Hours, 41 Minutes

I have no idea why the battery life is so bad. All I have done today is send/receive 40 text messages, made 2 phone calls, and did some web browsing(m.cnn.com and m.engadget.com for the most part). I also setup my email accounts and turned fetch to manual, and checked my email twice.

Brightness is at about 50% with auto-brightness on.
    WiFi is off, 3G is on.
    Bluetooth is off.
    No app notifications are on(none are installed)
    Email is set to fetch manually.
    Location Services are on.

Edit: The only other thing I did was download 2 images from google images(I needed some good wallpapers).

Edit 2: What are my options at this point? Should I ask for a new iPhone? According to the "genius", my iPhone battery health was fine.

6. BrHop156 macrumors member

BrHop156

That sounds like the kind of crappy battery you'd get on an iPod touch, not an iPhone 4...

7. 007bond thread starter macrumors 6502a

007bond

Forgot to mention, iOS 5 beta is not installed. I'm running iOS 4.3.3

8. BoBBBBBBBO macrumors newbie

Try turning the 3G and location services off for one day and see how it will be.

9. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

The thing is: He shouldn't HAVE to turn off his 3G to get good battery life out of his smartphone. :rolleyes:

10. 007bond thread starter macrumors 6502a

007bond

That's what I was thinking. But, I'll try it. It could be that the cell radio is causing the issue instead of the battery. Any other suggestions?

11. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

You are saying you only did a couple of things, yet your usage shows that you did much more. 4.5 hours of usage on 3G is fairly accurate. Turn on wifi when you are near it. I get about the same thing you get.

However, I have wifi on all the time, 2 push email accounts, push notifications on everything, and location services on.

12. 007bond thread starter macrumors 6502a

007bond

Even when I got 8 hours of battery, I used to do what you are doing on your device. If I kept that usage going after issues had arisen I would hardly get 2 hours out of my battery. I'm going to go in store again when I get a chance and see what they say about my usage. Like I said, all I have is the built in apps, so there isn't much I can do that would kill the battery(no iPod songs loaded on, and I haven't touched YouTube)

13. patp Guest

is the OP AT&T or Verizon? And how is the coverage in your area? I'm Verizon and if I'm in an area with crappy coverage, my phone is working looking for signal and the battery life goes to crap. If I'm in a decent coverage area I can get 8+ hours a day no problem.

14. 007bond thread starter macrumors 6502a

007bond

AT&T and I have great service here in north Texas. Consistent 3+ bars(usually 4)

15. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Just for comparison, I've had my iPhone unplugged from a charger for exactly 12 hours and I do texting every few minutes and I'm only down to 70%.

16. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Turn off 3G. Turn off Bluetooh, Turn off Push, Lower your brightness, Stop making phone calls, Stop downloading, Stop watching Netflix...

That should help.

17. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

So basically stop using the phone as a smartphone? :D

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

19. 007bond thread starter macrumors 6502a

007bond

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wifi has been off since restore.

20. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

I just checked my iPhone 4 and I have almost 4 hours of usage and 16 hours of standby and still have 48% battery left. I just plugged it in to sync, so charging will change those specs. That seems to be average for me. I always seem to get a couple of days out of mine. I always seem to have to sync about that often, so I've not had any problems. I've got 3G on, WiFi is always on. I have one mail account that is Push, and two others that I check manually. I do a fair amount of texting, phone calls and surfing the web.

It seems to me that your readings are a little low.

21. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Is there an app that uses location services on? Such as a GPS idle in the background? Like motion x has some weird battery effects if it's not "shut down" from the hold down menu.

Also email should be set to fetch every hour, brightness around half.

Wifi off unless necessary.

3G can stay on that way and still last all day.

Wifi, brightness, and GPS effect the most battery variances.

Also try calibrating the battery, and even getting a replacement if it persists. It shouldn't be behaving that way.

22. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I tested my 3GS once because I was experiencing the same thing except worse(due to the 3GS's smaller battery, of course). I Turned off Push, Fetch, Notifications, brightness at less than half, cleared the multitasking bar and set my phone into Airplane mode and left overnight. It was stock iOS 4.3.3 and I still had a drain of more than 10% when I woke up the next day. I got a new one via the Genius bar and before selling it to get my iPhone 4 it had a perfectly fine battery since getting that one.

23. 007bond thread starter macrumors 6502a

007bond

Like I said before, I'm only using the built in apps for now. As far as location services goes only the camera app uses it(which I really haven't used much since the setup as a new iPhone). Wifi has been off and brightness is at 50% with autobrightness on.

How would I go about calibrating? Running the iPhone till it goes out and charging it to 100%?

24. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

It would be plug in, charge to 100%, leave plugged in for 2 extra hours after maxed.

Use till it dies completely.

Plug in and charge to 100%

But honestly if i were you I would ask a genius to replace it in this basis and reference the steps you took to solve the issue including researching here. If you're able to I would recommend it.

25. EvoNiner1986 macrumors regular

My usage right now is 2HR 49MIN and standby is 7HR 27MIN

I don't know if this is bad or good but I don't really care...All I know is that it smokes the battery life I had on my Droid Incredible so it works for me.

I get through the work day no problem and when I get home I'm always by a charger so it's no big deal