iPhone 4/4S Oleophobic Coating Longevity

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pk7, Jul 29, 2012.

1. pk7, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

pk7 macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I've had a screen protector on my iPhone 4S since the day I bought it. I've gone through about 5 Zagg InvisiShield protectors and I'm plagued by problems, so I'm about to order a set of Power Support Crystals. I had a few questions about the screen's oleophobic coating.

Does installing and then removing a screen protector wear out the oleophobic coating?

Also, for those of you out there that are screen protectorless, how long have you had your iPhone and does the screen do a good job with fingerprints? My old 3GS started fingerprinting real easily after just about 3-4 months.

And, I plan on going screen protectorless for the next few days while I make the transition. I hope nothing happens to the coating and that the screen doesn't get scratched in just a week or two. :eek:

Thanks!

2. Sone3D macrumors member

Sone3D

Wirelessly posted

I noticed some cases makes iPhone be oil coated all the time. Quit your case if you have one. Clean your iPhone a bit and test again.

My guess is some cases retain your hand's oil. But oleophobic coating longevity is very good.

Sorry my bad english.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Removing and reinstalling a screen protector will not degrade the coating.
    My new iPad with oleo phobic coat gets the same finger prints as my old iPhone without the coating - however its easier to clean the device with the coating. Other than that, they'll be the same in terms of fingerprints.

4. pk7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Your English is fine. Thanks for your reply :)

Ah, gotcha. That makes sense.

Well I went ahead and got a crummy cheap screen protector to use as a backup while my PS Crystals come in in a week or so. There is some dust and dirt and some miniscule hairs underneath the protector. Will this hurt the iPhone's screen in any way?

Thanks again!

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Technically it could, but realistically it will be fine. I've had this too before and my iPhone screen was fine.

6. pk7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Great! Thanks a lot, wordoflife! Much appreciated.

7. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

I bought my 4S in January and never had a protector on it. I did notice that after about two months, the coating had pretty much wore off and using a microfiber cloth or any other cloth just smears the prints all around.

I took a picture just now of how bad the finger prints are. I just don't worry about it anymore because they aren't visible when I use it.

Attached Files:

8. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

It will wear off in time

A Few years ago when the iphone 4 came out I tracked down the data sheet of what exactly the coating consisted off (would link to it if I had it)

The one warning I read was to avoid using alcohol based cleaners since these degraded the coating.