iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4G - Redundant?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by nburwell, Feb 10, 2011.

1. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I already have a 16GB iPhone 4, and I have consided getting a 64GB iPod Touch to replace my iPod Classic that recently was damaged. But considering that I have the iPhone, I keep thinking that getting the iPod Touch would be too redundant to have.

I currently have about 15GB's of music on my MBP and portable HD. I liked the iPod Classic for it's large HD, but I probably would have never filled up the whole 160GB capacity.

I have thrown around the idea of buying a speaker unit for the iPod Touch, installing an alarm clock app, and use the iPod Touch as a MP3 player/alarm clock.

Therefore, is there anyone that owns both an iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4G? Do you regret owning both devices? I probably would primarily keep the iPod at home since I take my iPhone with me everywhere. Plus, my iPhone has my essential music that I want to always have with me.

Opinions?

2. aaps59 macrumors regular

aaps59

I dont happen to own both, I do own an iPhone 4 32 though. When I see people in public that are holding an iPhone and have a separate mp3 player/iPod in there pocket it bugs me haha. I dont really see the point though, do you really listen to all of your music? Filter it out m8

3. nburwell thread starter macrumors 68040

nburwell

Another consideration I tossed around was selling my 16GB and purchasing a 32GB on eBay or something. Although that would be the more pricey option I would think.

4. iboost79 macrumors member

I'm having the same dilemma. I have an iPhone 4, but I have so many apps and music that I'm constantly having to add/delete stuff on my iPhone. I am thinking about buying a refurbed 3rd Gen iPod Touch 64GB and selling my iPhone 4. I'm not sure about keeping both.

5. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

You guys should throw you iPT's out, get yourselves an iPad....the touch is a waste IMO when there's two superior deivces out there from Apple for your mobile needs.

6. nburwell thread starter macrumors 68040

nburwell

For me, I already own an iPad. I'm just looking at whether I should invest my money into another music device in addition to my iPhone/iPad (although I don't store any music on my iPad). Or if it should just purchase a 32GB iPhone 4 on eBay.

7. brendu macrumors 68020

no one is going to walk around using an iPad as a dedicated mp3 player....

EDIT: OP you should go with the 32GB iPhone IMO... 2 nearly identical devices isn't desirable.

8. iboost79 macrumors member

70% of my apps are iPod/iPhone compatible. Plus, it would be ridiculous of me carrying an iPad everywhere for music and apps purposes.

9. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I'd assume you're wrong. I know many people who's iPad has now become their music player of choice on many a morning commute.

How's it rediculous when most iPad users carry it around for movies, music, and apps? Every iPad owner I know has an iPad for these reasons??!?!?!:confused:

10. Carouser macrumors 65816

Exactly. When I take the dog for a walk or go for a run I stuff the iPad under my arm. It's easy to use when standing up on the train and I don't look like a colossal nerd at all. Not to mention I paid twice as much. :rolleyes:

OP: keep the iPhone; it's enough.

11. iboost79 macrumors member

I don't watch movies on my iPhone. Also, last I checked, you couldn't use RunKeeper app on a iPad. And let's not forget the cost of an iPT 64GB = $399 vs. iPad 64GB = $799.

Keep in mind that not all iDevice users are using it like you are.

12. MacStu09, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011

MacStu09 macrumors regular

Haha yeaaa, I'm going to walk to class with an iPad in my pocket :rolleyes: It's just sooo portable, I can carry books with one arm/hand, and scroll through music with my other two arms/hands.

In all seriousness, me and all my friends make fun of the 3 kids on campus with an ipod touch and iphone.

Try trading up on craigslist or something; people always trade down for a little extra cash. My buddy traded his 16gb for a 32gb. Only added $50. I think that could be your best route. But if you do buy an iPod touch as well; don't be that guy who takes them both out in public. Then you just look like a tool who has money to just waste; probably because his mommy/daddy gives him money. At least that's how we look at them. lol.

*And as for the superior products comment; the cameras on my ipod touch, the low price, portability, use with normal sized docks, and the lack of paying for service while still using it as a free house phone make it less superior how? Maybe it's less superior if you can afford an iPhone, but otherwise...I'm going with : it is just as good in value.

13. vistadude macrumors 65816

I'd say keep the iphone you have and sort your music.

Or get a zune or a prepaid android phone from verizon for $150 and cancel the plan. No point of having the same exact apps and features on your music player, might as well get some new features.

14. sdpics macrumors member

I have both, I keep all my media, games, and music on the iPod touch and all my communication apps and camera apps on the iPhone. To me it's just a way to keep things separate but have options. I can also save the space for other things I might need to add to one device without the need to delete other things.

15. lordjonny macrumors regular

lordjonny

You should definitely sort through your music, i have a 16gb iPhone 4 and do have to delete some of my older albums to free up space for my new stuff but you never really miss the music.

I have considered getting a pod classic so i can carry all 50gb with me, but ive made it this long without as i don't generally listen to all my music anyway and certainly don't listen for 4-5 days straight thats for sure! so i don't think your justified to get a touch.

16. coldpower27 macrumors regular

Considering they are so similar I would say it is...

Most people would be able to get by with jus the iPhone 4 16GB as their sole device... 32GB if more space is really required...

I have the iPod Touch and the Galaxy S.... only because I want both OS's to play with... :cool:

17. nburwell thread starter macrumors 68040

nburwell

I'm considering just going with another iPod Classic since I still have Xmas gift cards to use. Plus, I know the Classic will give me the flexibility of a lot of HD space since I'd have 160GB to work with. Plus, I have an iHome that is compatible with the iPod Classic, so it would make more sense for me to keep my 16GB iPhone 4, and just get a Classic.

I go through the mp3's on my iPhone at least once every week or two to delete/add new songs on there. In addition, I always have at least 8GB free after I all the apps, music and photo's which are stored on my phone.

18. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

soon I will be getting an iPhone. I have a 16 GB touch. I will keep both for these reasons:

I plan on using the iPod Touch at the gym on the eliptical to watch moves and such. That way if I drop it, my phone is not flying across the room!:eek:

I also dont' want those gym germs all over my phone which I put to my face all the time.

I will load a bunch of movies and such on my Ipod Touch for the gym along with all my music to use at home as a music player on my surround sound system.

I also would like my iPHone battery to last a very long time so when at home and I want to play a game I can use the iPod Touch instead. Also, my kids can use it and not toss my phone across the room when the device slips out of their hands!:eek:

One thing to keep in mind is that apps you have can be installed on both devices but your data won't transfer. For instance, I have all my car info entered into my iPod Touch car repair app so it is going to suck having to transfer that to my iphone!! All the games I have already unlocked things will all of the sudden not be unlocked on the iPhone. Bummer.

19. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I plan on getting the iPhone soon. I have a couple of iPod incl. the Touch. I thought about it and I do need both. When I travel I don't have to worry about the battery dying on my iPhone. I can use my iPouch touch to stuff and listen to music. Save my battery for when I need more on the iPhone.

20. pizz macrumors regular

Im sure Apple will soon merge the iPhone and iPod touch into one unit and keep the ipods in that Nano form factor.

21. sunya macrumors newbie

Yeah I don't think so. Not everyone wants to sign up for a 2 year contract and pay a monthly fee, lol.

22. neim81094 macrumors newbie

I saw this dude on the bus who had it as a mp3 that was the first time i saw one i was shocked, how the heck is he going to put it away?!

23. iEvolution macrumors 65816

LOL you want to talk about a waste of money? $699 vs $400 (64GB Wifi vs 64GB touch) for two devices that essentially have the same functions except for size. You are paying a $300 premium for a larger screen, no camera, no retina display. If anything getting a iPad is a waste of money.

OP, I'd say get a iPod Touch 32GB if you cannot find a iPhone 32GB in the same price range. Sounds like to me you don't need much capacity to carry around music/apps so 64GB would be overkill for your needs.

Me personally I'd just replace the classic with another classic because the iPod Touch and iPhone are so much alike there wouldn't be much of a point to own both.

Owning a iPod Touch 64GB 4th gen I can't see myself owning a iPhone 4 as well.

24. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Yeah, cause like we would NEVER pay more for a 52" HD TV than we pay for a 20" one!!! :rolleyes:

25. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

Who actually pays for a 52" HD TV? Anything beyond 32 is too big and is a waste of money. Basically you are looking at the same thing. No need for bigger screen size.