iPhone 4 and Mac OS X Tiger

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by atticus570, Jun 23, 2010.

1. atticus570 macrumors regular

has anyone been able to use there iphone 4 with mac 10.4.11 i know it say on apple.com 10.5.7 required but in the updated manual it says 10.5.7 is only required to sync notes and to use as a modem and that 10.4.11 one will work. i dont have leopard and my pc is a serious slow p.o.s

2. muledogus macrumors 6502

3. Chakalaka macrumors member

makes no sense why they can support windows XP, 7, vista and they couldn't write a patch for Tiger.

4. atticus570 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah real stupid i think that will come back them to kick them in the ass

5. mulletonabike macrumors newbie

Ive had to bite the bullet and but Leopard.
    NOT HAPPY. THIS IS A FARSE!

6. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

How so?

The percentage of those mac users running 10.4 is what, less then 5%? I don't think Apple is going to give a second thought to not running 10.4, and outside of these type forums I don't think there will be anyone that really takes note.

Tiger came out in 2005. Leopard came out in 2007, and Snow Leopard came out last year. How long do you want Apple to support an OS for what amounts to a handful of people?

On the other hand, XP, Vista and 7 are on what, 75% of computers? It would make sense for them financially to support the different versions of Windows.

It's all about the money. It always is.

Apple isn't a non-profit.

7. maupupo macrumors newbie

Stupid

8. azhava macrumors regular

I'm pissed too....how come the new Windows apps won't work on my '386 running DOS 3.22??? I even upgraded the RAM from 640k to a whole 1MB!!! :D

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

That's a ridiculous comparison. iPhone 4 is supported on XP, Vista an 7, and Leopard and SL. Why Apple couldn't make the phone and iTunes 10 Tiger compatible is beyond me, but so is your hyperbolizing.

10. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

12. Green™ macrumors member

13. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I'm seriously surprised that you missed the fact that Leopard is actually the most advanced OS that you can run on a PPC machine. They can run all the way up to 10.5.8. Snow Leopard was the first Intel-only OS X release. So technically PPC users can use an iPhone 4 with their computer with no issues if they bother upgrading to Leopard, there's no reason that they need to buy brand new machines.

14. Green™ macrumors member

I'm seriously surprised that you're seriously surprised! :rolleyes:

15. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It would've been much more dignified to just admit you were wrong :D

16. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

FWIW, I am currently running Leopard on my 1 gig Titanium G-4. I can sync my iPhone on that machine (but choose not to for other reasons). But I can't upgrade to Snow Leopard (and perform certain non-routine, advanced functions on the iPhone) because that DOES require an Intel processor.

17. abc123 macrumors 6502

Assuming that you didn't upgrade to Leopard when it was released, can you still purchase a copy to do so?

18. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Its not available for purchase through retail stores or Apple anymore, but it should be available on ebay for fairly cheap.

19. djw61 macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a new ipod shuffle and a new iphone 4g only to realize I couldn't use them with my itunes and couldn't upgrade because of running tiger. I have a macbook running 10.4 with 1g ram. I went to the local apple store and asked if I could upgrade from tiger to snow leopard (29$)--I was told I had to be running leopard to upgrade to snow leopard--the full set -leopard and snow leopard (100plus). After looking online I purchased the snow leopard only and installed on my macbook and it seems to have worked fine. I now have itunes 10 for my iphone4. I guess they are required to tell you it will not work so you purchase the higher cost upgrade.

20. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Yes, if you have an intel mac, no reason to get Leopard, simply get Snow Leopard, it works just fine as a stand alone upgrade. Too bad apple will not just admit that, they want to sell the entire package with iWork and iLife (which some may or may not want.)

The PPC users still need Leopard, as long as the computer is not too old that should work to allow the newest iTunes. The problem is apple doesn't sell Leopard anymore, you have to go to other sources.

The great thing is that there is no "product Keys" or other methods, so if you buy one previously used you don't have to worry that it has already been activated, unlike the other OS......

21. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

22. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

23. MabusTracker macrumors newbie

iMac PPC G5 user

24. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I spent 5 minutes online looking at places like e-bay. etc and found the price range for Leopard from about $70 - $ 160.
    As someone else posted, if you have an Intel based Mac, you can get Snow Leopard stand alone instead- a lot less expensive.
    If you are on a PPC based Mac, spend some time searching online and get your best price. Check Craigslist as well.

25. MabusTracker macrumors newbie

Thanks for your info. How can I forget e-bay?:D