iphone 4 and Screen Protectors, Do I really need them?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Abarth1200, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Abarth1200 macrumors regular

Hi everyone.

Recently got my iphone 4, I used it for a few days and noticed a few scratches on the back glass so I quickly ordered some Invisible Shield for it, after applying it it has totally ruined the idea of glass, it just feels sticky and trying to swipe my finger across the screen results in juddering movements, its crap.

MY question is, how easy is the front screen to replace if and when I get fed up of how many scratches I have got on it and maybe where and how much?

Also is there any chance the front and back glass is different, yes I saw a thread on it but still undecided from its outcome.

PS im in the UK so I dont think an Apple store would be an option, would my network provider who I curently have a contract with be able to help me.

2. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

the front glass is laminated to the display, so you will have to replace both. in addition, replacing the screen means disassembling the entire phone, whereas replacing the back panel involves unscrewing the 2 screws at the bottom and pushing the back upwards.

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I got the Invisible shield and cannot stand the feel of it. I had the powersupport anti-glare on my 3GS and loved it. Powersupport isn't coming out with their iPhone 4 protectors till the end of this month. Meanwhile I ordered the anti-glare from griffin. Hopefully it will give me some relief to the feel of the invisible shield. I do plan on keeping the back on it, it gives it some traction.

4. mcees4life macrumors newbie

im not putting any protector on the glass. Any fingerprints or smudges come off with a rub from cloth or the shirt i'm wearing. The phone looks so beautiful without the screen protectors

5. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Since iPhone 4 glass front and back have strength comparable to an egg shell yes you do need a screen protector.

6. Abarth1200 thread starter macrumors regular

agreed it does look an feel better without the protectors but how easy are screens to get replaced, I have heard a few people getting their 3GS screens replaced in a 3 minute visit to Apple, will this be possible for the 4. I would really like to get shot of this screen protector

7. ignign0kt macrumors member

The front glass is pretty resistant to scratches, but the back is not.
    I still got a skin for both of them. By the way, Wrapsol has a MUCH better feel and texture than Zagg. It doesn't have a rubber feeling and doesn't have the orange peel looking texture

8. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Those three minutes were the time it took for the sales person to go to the back of the store and replace the broken phone with a refurbished unit. No apple store performs physical repairs.

9. missing.link macrumors newbie

Is that true? I've seen that the strength of the glass is questionable with regard to impact damage. But, much of the strength, from what I understand, is in it's resistance to scratches.

It seems like a screen protector is really just protection from scratches, not impact damage. And so, if the problem is it has strength 'comparable to an egg shell,' it seems that a screen protector is a poor form of protection.

10. hypoh macrumors member

hypoh

Invisible Shield has always had the orange peel effect and rubbery feel to them. They are probably the number one selling screen protector, but so many people end up disappointed in the feel of their protectors. Sorry you had to waste your money to find that out.

11. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

A lot of people prefer to run their iPhones nude. I had BestBuy put mine on for the front only. The iPhone 4 is milled to such a fine tolerance that some devices like the Apple bumper did not go on well with front and back coverage. That was my experience I make no illusions to how it works with others.
    So now my iPhone runs with its butt to the wind so to speak... I live in the desert and am very afraid of the effects that sand, quarts, can have on glass, plastic or pexiglass ... but that is how I run now.

I do notice that the screen is much less responsive with it on but frankly, it was was to sensitive for my clumsy fingers so the front condom does help.

Your milage may vary so try the different modes and find the one you like the most. :):apple:

12. Abarth1200 thread starter macrumors regular

So did this guy get scammed... (post no.5)

Yeah I did read reviews but it was the quickest one I could get hold of.

About preventing the glass from shattering

LINK to youtube video I just did a quick search for.

Wont something like this help the strength of the iphone glass

13. rmastbro macrumors member

Agreed. This is why I ordered bodyguardz for my back (smooth and very little orange peel). I installed SGP ultra clear and love it. Reminds me of the crystal clear from Powersupport.

14. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

Whoa there. This is ABSOLUTELY not true.

My MacBook's logic board was replaced at my local Apple store (1 day turnaround) and my buddy's iPhone 3G screen/digitizer was replaced at the same store while he waited.

15. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Notice that when he used the same tool for the front glass that he used for the back, the glass still shattered completely; it just was held in-place by the adhesive on the film. A screen protector will not significantly affect the shatter-resistance of the glass, since that's a function of the glass being confined to an extremely rigid metal frame. The glass is therefore unable to effectively dissipate the energy from a drop or collision with another object.

16. Abarth1200 thread starter macrumors regular

OK yep just noticed that but come a brick thrown at the glass bouncing off it, wow.

17. calvy macrumors 65816

That is not true. Some Apple stores are doing repairs in store for screen replacement. It was not that hard on the 3GS. I'd imagine for the iPhone 4, that will change a bit, because it's much harder to replace the screen. But it doesn't mean they won't open one up. I already had a genius open my i4 up to try to fix this stupid clicking noise I get from mine.

My brother had a water damaged 3g. Took it into the apple store with a shattered screen, and they fixed it on the spot. Never checked the water sensors, but of course he did when he got it back. He hoped he got a non damaged refurb in return, but it was the same water damaged phone with a new screen.

18. boostmiser macrumors member

I've have a Power Support screen protector on my 2G for the last 3 years. Its has some scratches but nothing major and it doesn't look ratty. The glass is perfect underneath.
    I pre-ordered the PS for iPhone 4. Until then, I'm using the Griffin protector. It's all-right, but I don't like the generic looking cutouts. They leave a small part of the screen exposed. PS makes precise hole cuts thus it looks nicer (but more difficult to line up when first putting it on).
    If anything, it'll help with resale value. I also like the feel. It may even help the rigidity of the screen, but I have no proof of that.

19. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Wow, I didn't realize that so many people disliked the Invisibleshield. I swear by those things and have them on every iPhone and iPod I have. To each his own, I suppose.

20. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

I currently have a back and screen protector on my iPhone, I'm thinking of taking them both off and just going bare though, reason being that my friend has been using a 3GS with no protectors or cases on it for about a year now and it has no scratches on it at all and he's forever throwing it about and dropping it and the i4 is supposed to be even tougher...

21. Katanae macrumors member

If scratches on the back bother you, I would apply one, I go naked and have scratches there despite careful usage.

22. mikechan1234 macrumors 6502

deffo need a screen protector. my front screen scratched and not happy at all -.-(am going to apple store to get it replaced). my 3G had no scratches on the front screen at all for 2 yrs. So highly advised.

23. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

It would be silly to put any sort of screen protector on this screen. It will diminish the visual quality of the retina display. Just be careful and don't keep the phone in the same pocket as your keys and you will be fine. Not sure how careless or paranoid a lot of you iphone users are that feel the need for one. I have never had one on any of my phones and none of them have ever has scratched screens.

24. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

I had that problem with the 3Gs, the screen protector just made it 'sticky'. But then I found this mirror screen protector, when your screen is on it is normal but when the screen is off it is like the front of your phone is a mirror. I couldn't of been happier and have had it on my phone for about a year now.

Edit: Does anyone know if the mirror screen protector has been made for iPhone 4? I would love to get one when I upgrade my 3Gs.

25. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

I am not using a protector. I love the feel of the glass and don't like having another layer distorting the view of that beautiful screen. I didn't use a protector on my 3GS and I did get a few tiny scratches, but that's just life. I think the glass on the iPhone 4 is more durable against scratches than the 3GS but easier to completely shatter. Therefore, I am using bumpers to protect the phone from falls.