IPhone 4: Apple's Problem for IPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jimbo1mcm, Jun 1, 2011.

1. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

I believe that Apple will have a problem getting very satisfied IPhone 4 customers to switch to a new IPhone 5. If IOS 5 works on the IPhone 4, then what will it take to get people to drop their IP4 for a new phone? It would have to be something REALLY good. I can't think of any one thing that would make me switch. There will always be some people who want the latest, no matter how much it costs. Would moving from a 5MP camera to an 8MP make me switch? NO. Would having a 3.7 inch screen make me switch? NO. Would having the capability for both CDMA and GSM make me switch? NO. Would a dual processor make me switch? NO. Would having all of these and a generous early upgrade offer from my carrier make me switch? Maybe.

2. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

How about if it was thinner and lighter with a longer lasting battery :)

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

apple's thinking bigger than recapturing their installed user base. there are far more people without smart phones than people with.

4. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

i think apple is more concerned with enticing new customers with the iphone that is "due out in Sept." apple aready has the money of current iphone 4 users so its not like they will be losing money if those people dont buy the new iphone. however i see where your coming from, as i am an iphone 4 owner, and i will be perfectly content with just iOS 5 on my same hardware

5. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

A lot of people just like having new phones. Also, a lot of people are idiots and will fall for Apples (excellent) advertising campaign. Sure, there will be lot's of people who are happy with the iPhone 4, but there we're also a lot of people who we're happy with the 3G/3GS who will be upgrading this time around.

A bigger screen would get me instantly, and a faster processor would seal the deal.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Apple just a few months ago released a Verizon-compatible iPhone 4. I'm willing to bet plenty of Verizon people noticed it was late in an iPhone cycle and are waiting for the iPhone 5/4S. You've got that huge mass of Verizon customers who don't own an iPhone, plus you've got plenty of people with the iPhone 1, 3G and 3GS that could be persuaded to upgrade.

Most people don't update their phones every year. I mean we sign two-year contracts to get the phones at these prices in the U.S. Therefore, if Apple were targeting previous iPhone owners, it's the 1, 3G and 3GS people that will be in the crosshairs.

I've got a feeling this will be "underwhelming" if you have an iPhone 4. That retina display is just so damn amazing and makes the 3GS display look like crap. I'm personally waiting to get next year's iPhone because I want to switch to Verizon because my signal here at home stinks half the time. Sitting at two bars right now, and I don't have a landline. My neighbors have Verizon and say they have no problems. I'm also hoping 4G LTE radios will be efficient, small, cheap, whatever enough to land in an iPhone by next year.

7. walds11 macrumors 6502a

Now that would be nice! I will be upgrading from the iPhone 4 no matter what. I like to have the latest and greatest. That's just me :)

8. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I was still holding onto my 3G, I had purchased the iPhone 4 but was experiencing horrible signal problems so I went back. My secretary then gave me his old 3GS when he upgraded to the iPhone 4.

I will be upgrading to the next iPhone.

9. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Thinner
    Lighter
    Better battery life
    Bigger screen
    NFC
    Better camera
    1080p recording
    Better front camera
    Dual Core Processor
    More RAM

It's the same problem with any product I assume, and with the mobile phone market it's obviously a huge problem considering they update every year more than not. However I mean if Apple include all those things and market it the way they usually do I'm sure the next iPhone will sell incredibly well.

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Some iPhone users still carry around earlier iPhone models than the iP4. I will be upgrading my 3GS.

11. RobMoss macrumors regular

• Option of 1080i (unlikely, but I hate deinterlaced video for home movies)
    • Better reception
    • Waterproof
    • Longer battery life
    • 64GB

That would do me just fine and dandy.

However, it's a moot point, as I'm tied in until next Summer!

12. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

No.. No... Please No.

13. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

LOL! The only problem Apple will have is having enough stock to sell. They will be selling to iP4 users at a blinding pace.:eek:

They will be camping outside the store doors!

What are you thinking:confused:

14. imstevejobs macrumors newbie

im due a upgrade but i dont want the 4 , but the 5 is too far away lol

15. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

You still have a lot of iPhone users who have the 3GS phones. So those one will buy first. And then those who use an iPhone 4 for work purposes will jump on the upgrade because its a tax right off and two it would be fun to have a new iPhone. lol

16. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

And, OP, this is the problem with your premise. You are but one of many.

17. superdudeo macrumors regular

I think it's highly likely it'll be a 4S with 8M camera and dual core but that's it. Not nearly enough to tempt an upgrade from the iPhone 4. However, a larger screen would definitely tempt me but I don't think it'll happen.

18. Biolizard macrumors 6502

I'm still on my 3G (and somewhat proudly so). Anything is an upgrade ;-)

19. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I don't switch every cycle. Hell, I finally replaced my original iPhone just 3 weeks ago - the power button bit it. I won't upgrade again for two years unless the next iteration includes some spectacular "can't live without" feature.

And by spectacular, assume I mean the ability to grant flight, wash my dishes, or fold my laundry.

20. Espionage32 macrumors regular

All the people who have the iphone 3GS that are patiently waiting for an upgrade.

If this next iphone has NFC then I will be perfectly satisfied to upgrade. If it doesn't have NFC I will be very annoyed but will upgrade anyway.

Please have NFC!!!!

21. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I am not sure what NFC is other than "Near Field Communication", if that is what NFC is what would that bring to the table.

I just received my iPhone 4 about a month ago and so far i like it a lot. I like the size and weight. I think a phone should have some heft to it and the size of this phone fits perfect for me.

The only change i would want is a larger screen but not if it means making the phone larger.

22. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

This won't be a big update as many customers are still on contract with an iPhone 4. It may be called the iPhone 5, to keep with numbering, but in reality it will have the guts of a '4S'.

Apple spent a lot of money designing the i4, so I am sure this design would at least last another generation.

23. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

I'm going to stick with my white iPhone 4 until the iPhone 5/6. I usually upgrade every year (in the past, since every upgrade had a needed feature IE: video recording, app store, face time, etc)

This one I'm going to stick with software until next year. I don't think that anyone doing that bothers Apple though, because I believe this year is strictly about the software.

Other then a dual-core processor in this iteration of the new iPhone (which I doubt we actually need just yet) I don't see any "ground breaking" features in the Hardware.

Upgrading from the first iPhone to the 3G iPhone was a BIG change and a good choice. (New design, 3g hardware, app store software)
    Upgrading from the iPhone 3G to the 3GS was a bigger change and a good choice. (Video Recording, Compass, etc hardware, not much new software)
    Upgrading from the iPhone 3GS to the iPhone 4 was a BIG change and a good choice. (New design, new hardware additions and upgrades, facetime software etc)

Upgrading from the iPhone 4 to the next iPhone wont be a big change, which is a bad choice. (Probably slight hardware upgrades, and ability to run the new iOS5 smoother, which wont be big since the iPhone 4 can handle most things very, very well.)

24. LegendKillerUK macrumors 6502

Here here! Buddy! :p

25. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Ageed completely. I really want to see a 3.7" to 4" screen. Since the iPhone 5 isn't even in production yet, there's still hope!

As am i!