Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

If you think Apple fans are snobbish, you're in for a treat with the "audiophiles"...

Head over to head-fi.org but avoid using the words Bose, Beats and Apple earbuds in that forum. You will learn something if you're able to weed out the good posts...

So true. Also, most true audiophiles wouldn't touch digital music files with a ten foot pole. It's vinyl or nothing.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
To get the best possible sound out of the iPhone, as some others have said, you need a line out cable to a small headphone amp and a nice pair of headphones using a lossless file. There are many forums specifically for this topic, just not here.

----------

So true. Also, most true audiophiles wouldn't touch digital music files with a ten foot pole. It's vinyl or nothing.

You don't have to use tube amps and have vinyl as your medium to be an audiophile. Quit being hung up on the definition of the word.

SS109

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2009
My setup: iPhone 4 with ALAC files>LOD>PA2V2 or Fiio E11>Alessandro MS1i.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
To get the best possible sound out of the iPhone, as some others have said, you need a line out cable to a small headphone amp and a nice pair of headphones using a lossless file. There are many forums specifically for this topic, just not here.

----------

You don't have to use tube amps and have vinyl as your medium to be an audiophile. Quit being hung up on the definition of the word.

Just my personal experience. I did say MOST.

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
I went through the head-fi route couple years back trying to get the best sound for a portable setup. After going through modded iPods, cables (silver, copper, gold, cryogenically treats, etc), portable amps, various headphones, I've come to the conclusion that it's just not worth the money (thousands of dollars I might add).

So now I'm simply using a 64gb iPhone with lossless files feeding to a custom IEM - UE10 and the Beyer DT-1350.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Really?! Best audio system is the one I have with me....

Although that saying was used to describe a camera app, it does apply in this context. The best audio system IS the one you have with you; however, that does not make it the best sounding one. For example, I usually have the white earbuds with me.

OP. The Beats headphones are not the best sounding for the money you paid, but if you don't want to return them, you might like the way they sound or you might just like having beats because they look cool, then you have to work with what you have. So find a poratble headphone amp and use the highest quality music you can; choose iTunes over Amazon and re-rip your CDs as AIFF files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.