IPhone 4 back glass already scratched

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gtmac, Jun 28, 2010.

1. gtmac macrumors 6502a

Long time reader first post. I have had the 3G and the 3GS prior to the 4.

Just scooted my phone across the counter and noticed a nice faint scratch.

Hopefully the front glass isn't as soft. My bumper arrives today but I really wish I could have got one when the phone arrived. Overall don't get Apple putting glass on the back of the phone with limited supplies of cases and screen protectors.

2. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Sorry, but no sympathy here if you don't care enough to not slide your brand new, $600 cell phone across a counter.

3. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

screw your sympathy

since when is it not okay to simple slide your phone across a counter?

when apple decided to make a phone out of glass and tell everybody its the same glass that is used in helicopters

4. gtmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ummm sorry wasn't looking for sympathy.

I slid it three inches moving it over. Any how he careful with yours.

5. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

When I was selling my old iPhones the guy I was selling to wanted to check out my new iPhone 4. So I took out of the case and let him see it. He gently placed it on his coffee table and slid about a half inch while looking at it.

Result? Big scratch on the back. :(

6. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

I'm glad I threw the IS on the back.

I have a knack for getting phantom scratches. Sorry to hear about it. I don't let them bother me too much though... my phones always end up getting traded in at the Genius bar for one reason or another. Sigh.

7. rans0m00 macrumors 6502

Yep it has not scratched as easily as my old iPhone but have a small scratch on the back on mine also and I have tried to be careful with it also. Will be happy when my skin gets here but till then if a scratch happens then it happens... At the end of the 2yrs I probably have this if all that has happened is a couple scratches I will be quite happy.

8. MacBook.Matt macrumors regular

So sick of posts like these...im not targeting you in particular, but just the general level of negativity towards ANYONE with a complaint about an iphone is getting out of hand!!! Like all the people who are devastated about dropping and smashing their brand new phones and come on here to discuss the real-world durability of the front glass and such get so much negative feedback like "Maybe you shouldn't drop your phone." I mean seriously people lighten up a little bit there's no sense in making an unhelpful post thats just straight up rude! Same thing happens with the people who return an iphone 4 and make a post discussing their dislikes about it. They recieve replies such as "k" or "nobody cares." Straight up its uncalled for and theres no need for little pricks to act like children..

Play nice people..

Anyways, I'm sorry you scratched the back of your phone that really does suck, and I think its becoming apparent (at least to me) that the glass on the back is not the same quality as that on the front.

9. falconeight Guest

falconeight

Glass, plastic, armor, rubber all them have their weaknesses.

10. n00basaur macrumors regular

Oh, I see.

11. cwubbels macrumors regular

cwubbels

I'm sick of reading the same thing in 10,000 different threads. "iPhone shattered in less than a week," "iPhone has scratches" etc. We all know glass shatters and scratches. Everyone is blown away by this fact. People think because Apple used "helicopter" and "30 times" these phones are invincible. Glass is glass.

12. Mfear macrumors member

if glass really was just glass, apple shouldn't have used it as a big part of their keynote speech, touting the iphone glass as above and beyond previous versions when it clearly isn't..

if it was going to be just as fragile as the previous glass, they should have just kept their mouths shut.. it'd be like saying.. "WITH THE BEST HOME BUTTON EVER!!" and then it's exactly the same..dont pretend to raise the bar and the expectations of the users when you can't deliver on the promise -- just dont say anything about it.

13. cwubbels macrumors regular

cwubbels

Good point. I would have to agree they did play the whole glass thing up a bit much, but at the same time when I held the iPhone 4 in my hand for the first time I was like "yikes, this thing feels fragile."

Not to mention I am somewhat OCD about the condition I keep my phone in, as others will treat a phone like a phone...:D

14. jessea macrumors member

What I can't figure out is why the glass scratches so easily. I have taken care of my iPhone, and only this morning pulled the factory plastic off the back -- and 6 hours later, I already have a few scratches on the back. It has been in my pocket (with nothing else) or sitting on my desk at work during that time.

15. Mfear macrumors member

god forbid, lol..

yeah, i was a little disappointed when I saw the tiny scratch on my front screen..i figured "normal glass" would scratch upon "normal use"..but i figured this "gorilla glass" would require some..gorilla-like abuse to cause a blemish.

ah well.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

This thread is as silly as "iPhone 3G (or 3GS) plastic back already scratched" if you slide it on the table.

17. Mfear macrumors member

gremlins in your pocket. don't feed them iPhones. duh.

18. JayDude132 macrumors 6502

To all the complainers - I'd like to see one of you try and make a better product than this iPhone.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I got the chrome Apple logo scratched on the back of my 3GS in less time than that.

Meanwhile, the Apple logo on my iPhone 4 is scratch-free.

20. Mfear macrumors member

I think the point is that if we COULDN'T make scratch-less glass, we wouldn't pretend that we could and then use it as a selling point.

21. Mfear macrumors member

that's because the logo is UNDER the glass..which will probably be scratched up soon enough if you don't use a case.

but that's teh nature of cell phones..

i think we get confused at teh fact that the iPhone is pretty..just because it happens to be pretty doesn't mean it's supposed to stay that way..

22. JayDude132 macrumors 6502

That is true. There are still some people on here though that seem to like to complain just for the sake of complaining. Then again, this IS macrumors.. :p

But also, this IS just a phone. I mean, it's not going to look pretty forever - no matter how much we wish it could.

23. Mfear macrumors member

lol - agreed with your first point.

and i made your 2nd point in my follow-up post ;)

great minds think alike.

24. JayDude132 macrumors 6502

Indeed! :D

25. eneisch macrumors 6502a

Sorry to hear that :(. Wondering if the scratch was on the glass itself or to the oleophobic coating that is supposed to be on the front and back. That coating was known to be capable of scratches on the 3GS and iPad as reported at both product launches.

After reading the first post on the back scratching on Engadget, I put an invisible sheild on the front and back, even though I wasn't originally planning to after the hearing about the new glass in the Apple keynote. Also wound up getting a Grip Vue for iPhone 4, which I really like. I like the TPU material rather than the more rubbery feeling silicone.