iPhone 4 battery life

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LouieSamman, Sep 12, 2010.

1. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

I want to preserve more battery when using my iPhone 4 and find turning off push and all notifications has made my iPhone last so much longer.

I want to know if there are many people who do the same or if they just bare with the quick battery drain just so they can enjoy pushed emails, and notifications.

With the 6th generation iPhone, I believe that the battery life will be sufficient enough to last all day, even with push and notification. Then I have the peace of mind to just leave push and notification on since the phone will still last me through the day before the charge for the next day.

But as of now the 10hr life apple promises which is more like 8hr, isn't enough for a full day without worry of battery life, so this is why I keep push and notifications off so I can get that 10hr battery life that I love.

But is it worth losing push and notifications? I say you can always go in the app and refresh if you want to see an update. But idk, and just want your opinion.

Let me know your thoughts.

2. aleni macrumors 68020

i can live without push email, but notification on mine is set on. it's very important for things like beejive and pingchat you know.

battery life has been great on my iphone 4. it can last a whole day if i'm not playing 3D games on it.

3. Ann P macrumors 68020

I don't need Mail to push automatically so I just check manually. Doing so preserves a lot of the battery. I do have alerts on for my favorite apps though. BeeJive, Words with Friends, etc.

4. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Both you guys are right, Push email isn't really needed since if you want to check the mail your going to go in the app anyways to check.

Notifications are great for various apps. So I'm going to keep it on.

5. Thrifty1 macrumors regular

I agree 100% that turning off Push for e:mail greatly reduces battery drain. I keep mine on manual.

6. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

I've push on, but I've set it to check only once an hour.

7. rk1991 macrumors regular

Push notifications might be a drain but I prefer it to having to go in and check the mail app. I leave push and all my notifications on except for game center and I still get more than a days use. I normally listen to about 1 hr of music, play about half an hour of games, talk for about 10 mins, use safari every now and then and check facebook and text quite often.

As of now i have 82% battery life and i have used the phone for 2:15 and its been on standby for 13:10

8. Evmanw macrumors regular

Evmanw

Great Battery!!

I couldn't be happier with the battery. I have e-mail notifications off.

What I find makes the most difference about the battery is the brightness. With lowest brightness I could make it through multiple days. With medium brightness, I use just over half every day. With full brightness, I get about a day out of the battery

9. dzenger macrumors newbie

Why should anyone have to wait for emails and notifications?

I bought my husband an iPhone and the darn thing does not last more than 4 hours without losing its charge??? He is not really using it, just entering in some contact info. I want the "push" for email on. Why the heck should he wait for 30 mins to get an email from me?? We are new to iPhone and I am ready to take it back. What are we doing wrong?? This is nuts and I am angry.

10. dzenger macrumors newbie

Is this how it is?

I need some help from you guys. I am reading about having to turn off notifications, turning the 'push' off my email, just to make the battery last? Does it really only last 10 hrs? I work more than 10 hrs. I need to know if I get an email, I can't keep looking at my phone all the time. Honestly, is that how it is? This is our first iPhone. I bought it as a gift for my husband. But what good are all the features when the meat and potatoes drain your battery life? I would like to keep this phone, but honestly, does it really only last 10 hrs when not being used?:confused:

11. ineedamac macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have push email on but some of the other notifications off. I use my iPhone 4 for work and I need to know when a new email comes in.

I have Bluetooth off btw.

Read through the forum...there was one thread that talked about how to get the best battery life.

12. jacollins macrumors 6502a

The reality is, if you want more than 10 hours, you either: 1) Don't get a high end smartphone, 2) Get battery extenders like the Mophi Juicepack, or 3) Learn to have multiple charging cables and charge throughout the day.

The iPhone's got one of the longest lasting batteries out there for a smartphone. Some of the Android phones are comparable, but most are substantially less. At this time, as far as I know, there are none better.

13. kre62 macrumors 68000

She was talking about 10 total hours, not ten hours usage. Usage is only counted while the phone itself is on. So if you check your email, send a text, and make a 2 minute phone call in the space of an hour, you have about 3 minutes usage, and 57 minutes standby. For the phone to die after 10 hours, you would have to be surfing the net the entire time with no breaks. The iPhone4 should easily last through a full 24 hour day, many have had it last longer (engadget got 36+ hours out of it in their test). Thats not USAGE, thats just total time the phone was on.

14. A2DY macrumors member

i have push email and notifications on, thats one of the reasons to have a smartphone, to get these things straight away whereever you are,

My (iP4 and previous 3GS, which my wife now has) always lasts a full day. I use mine a fair bit but will always make it he whole day if not will easily make until 10pm when I am on my laptop and can just plug it in for its charge overnight,

15. Awjvail macrumors 6502

I've easily gone 2 and a half days on a full charge, with regular usage.

Do you have the screen set to not turn off or something??? If you're only getting 10 hours, even while the phone is in "sleep" mode, then you've got a defective phone.

16. apladdict, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

apladdict macrumors newbie

battery life help

Just a heads up in case anyone wasn't aware. Turning off push and location notification will help but not has much as closing out the applications after you use them. Double click the home button...all of the apps that show up in the bar at the bottom of the screen are all running even if you are not using them. Touch and hold the first app in that bar, wait until it wiggles then touch the red minus symbol on each one. This closes out the app and thus saves battery life. I did this and my girlfriend's battery life on the verizon iphone went from less that a day to 2 days.

17. apladdict macrumors newbie

"Usage does count if while the phone is off if you left any apps running in the background. Double click the home button and anything that shows up in the bar is still running whether the screen is off or not. Hold any of the icons down until they wiggle and then close them out.

18. A2DY macrumors member

im sure closing apps may make a very small difference (depending on the app involved) but when they are on the multitasking bar they arn't actually running, they are frozen in the state they were closed in so using no power at all (in most cases) very few apps atually "multitask" inthat they are actually running the the background

19. apladdict macrumors newbie

I'm an Apple tech and it makes a huge difference, especially for the people that are unaware that you can manually turn off the app. If they don't know of this then any app that they have used since they bought the phone (if it hasn't been powered off) will still be running. I've seen phones with as many as fifty things running in the multitasking bar.

20. A2DY macrumors member

sorry bit if you are a apple tech and think apps that are multitasking are "running" im a bit concerned,

they are not running, they are saved in the state they were closed using next to nothing battery or processing wise.

might be worth reading here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=974555

21. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I don't know where you are getting your information, but it is incorrect.

That is downright scary.

22. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Assuming it's true of course. ;)

23. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Exactly what I was thinking.:D

24. BearsFan34 macrumors regular

BearsFan34

Like most here, I have Push turned OFF 99% of the time (have a desk job, email's open in front of me all day), and Location Services (GPS) off. I don't travel much, and I know where I am...so having both of those turned off helps a TON in terms of saving the battery.

I also don't use Bluetooth anything. I've used a BT keyboard twice, but not regularly...so that's off also. Wifi is turned on when I want the speed, but most times that's off too.

I use my iPhone a LOT, and do make/receive phone calls. With heavy usage & several calls, I can get a fully-charged iPhone 4 to last around a day & a half. i.e. it's charged and 9am, and I don't have to charge until the next day's evening.