iPhone 4 Battery Life

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by powermapler, Nov 5, 2010.

1. powermapler macrumors newbie

I got my iPhone 4 two days ago, and my battery life has been quite bad. (I think.)

With fairly heavy usage (3d games, internet browsing on wifi, youtube over wifi, music and push emails on, bluetooth off) I can only get about 5-6 hours of battery life doing this. No apps running in the background, brightness on half, location services off.

For example, last night I was on Gizmodo while listening to music. I could literally watch my phone dropping by 1% every 5-10 minutes. Is this normal?

Do I need to simply break my battery in? Will doing a couple of cycles fix this? Also, when I set my phone up I restored to a backup of my old 3G (running ios4.1) Would setting this up as a new phone see an increase in performance? Am I just paranoid?

I just played Fruit Ninja online and Epic Citadel for about 30 minutes altogether, with max brightness. During this time I dropped 7%.

Also, all of this has been on one charge. http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac239/powermapler/9716c762.jpg

That was taken before the Fruit Ninja/Epic Citadel.

2. forcetactic macrumors 6502

3. jozeppy26 macrumors 6502

jozeppy26

How many app were still running? And MAX brightness? why? That will kill your battery faster than running tomtom while on a 3G phone call.

4. powermapler thread starter macrumors newbie

Forgot to mention that I always kill apps I'm not using. (Aside from email and settings.)

I was only using max brightness for the last part of this to see how fast my battery drains. I usually use half-3/4 brightness.

5. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I will put in my .02...

My battery life has definitely gotten better over time. The first few days, my battery was under 20% when I went to bed but now a days it hangs around 40%...and I probably use it MORE often throughout the day then when I first got it. Just keep draining it down and then charge back up. I think you'll get there.

6. powermapler thread starter macrumors newbie

This is what I was hoping for. :)

I'll keep at it, then. Would a restore to new phone do anything in this case?

7. lshirase macrumors regular

5-6 hours with fairly heavy usage is bad? since when?

this must be your first smart phone.

8. powermapler thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I owned a 3G before this, and I'm not finding the battery usage to be much different. I really don't know what constitutes as heavy usage, though.

In the 6 hours I got out of it today, I'm going to say 2 hours was music, 3 hours were games, and 1 hour was internet browsing/emails. No texting or calling.

9. lshirase macrumors regular

holy ****, 3 hours of gaming? i would be more than happy with 6 hours of usage....

10. LevMac macrumors 6502

LevMac

I understand your frustration as im experiencing the same problem.

I drained my battery until the phone shut itself off last night, then put it back on charge to 100%

With 25mins of use, im down to 89% from 100% with push turned off

Is this normal ??

Usage = 27mins
    Standby = 7hrs, 4mins
    Battery Percentage = 88%

11. powermapler, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2010

powermapler thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's today's usage:

[​IMG]

Most of this was spent Browsing the Internet, playing Angry Birds/Fruit Ninja/I love Katamari, Facebook, and watching Youtube and Vevo. All the time I had music running in the background (aside from Youtube, of course.)

Brightness at 60% auto, Push emails on, no calling or texting, and no emails came in today. Bluetooth off, WiFi on and connected, 3G on and connected. Does all this seem normal?

12. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

Are you serious?!?!? 1% every 5-10 minutes? you think thats BAD? You mean to tell me that if at 90% your usage was 50-100 minutes that would be bad?

You played a 3D video game for a half hour and you think its bad that it dropped a whopping 7%?!?! wow thats hilarious. You're either trolling or expecting way too much.
    Im sorry but it blows my mind what people expect out of a phone.

13. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

+1

14. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I couldn't agree more. The thing's a phone! Six hours is pretty good I think.

15. powermapler thread starter macrumors newbie

Heh. I can assure you I'm not trolling. I've just read of people getting battery life than this. But if this is normal, I'm 110% pleased with this. :D

Thanks for the help.

16. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Ehhh why? For the most part an application doesn't use any resources other than when it's the focus application.

17. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

18. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Just FYI, killing apps doesn't really do anything to help your battery life -- unless they specifically run in the background (I.E, pandora) but you could just turn it off instead.

19. powermapler thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, I didn't realize that. I assumed that it was running in the background to some degree. Although, if it took Apple this long to release multitasking, I guess they would have ironed it out to "perfection."

20. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

21. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yeh that's normal. I dot really mind because I always keep a charger on me

22. brendu macrumors 68020

I actually find it amazing that with normal usage, this phone can easily last all day long. My palm pre would barely last half way through the day with the same usage. Im loving the battery life in my new iPhone.

23. Matt.H macrumors member

Yes! Exactly the same here, I can go through a day with regular twitter/facebook checks, and go to bed with 70% left.
    Pre would have lasted until lunchtime! Much better than my old iPhone 3G too

24. Raj24v macrumors member

I usually get 10hrs of usage from my phone before it's in it's last few percent.
    6hrs is pretty low IMO.

25. powermapler thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I had a 3G before this, as I said earlier.

See, this is what I thought. May I ask what you're doing with your phone, though?