iPhone 4 Case opinions?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by andrewmon, Jan 31, 2011.

1. andrewmon, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011

andrewmon macrumors newbie

Longtime viewer first time poster!
    So I am getting my iPhone next week and I am a person who is very picky about their case. First question is, which is a better and more protective and ergonomic material, soft or hard cases? Also, I have a list of these cases that I have narrowed down, and they are pretty much similar. Could you tell me your opinion on these? And possibly suggest more brands?

CaseMate Pop for iPhone 4
    http://www.case-mate.com/Verizon-iPhone-4-Cases/Case-Mate-Verizon-iPhone-4-Pop-Case.asp
    Speck Candyshell
    http://www.speckproducts.com/candyshell-1408.html
    Otterbox Commuter
    http://www.otterbox.com/iPhone-4-Co...X_color=20&start=1&cgid=commuter-series-cases
    Otterbox Impact
    http://www.otterbox.com/iPhone-4-Impact-Series-Case/APL1-I4XXX,default,pd.html
    CaseMate Tough Case
    http://www.case-mate.com/iPhone-4-Cases/Case-Mate-iPhone-4-Tough-Cases.asp
    Griffin Reveal
    http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/reveal-iphone4

I really love the concept of the Apple Bumper case, but I hate how it doesnt protect the back. If there are any cases that do, please let me know! (I carry my phone in my pocket). I have heard of SW-BOX, and they seem ridiculously cheap, are they reliable?

Thanks guys, any input would be awesome!

2. psyduckiee macrumors regular

If you're using a front and back shield than go for the commuter or tough. Forget the impact as it is just a silicone case which will eventually stretch like crazy. Candyshell is fine but it'll start peeling. Pop is similar to the Candyshell except it doesn't start peeling and flaking. Not sure about the reveal though.

3. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

The Pop! does too flake and peel, a lot more than the CandyShell as a matter 'o fact!

4. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Oh, and the SwitchEasy TRIM is very much like the Griffin Reveal. Way better IMHO.

5. andrewmon thread starter macrumors newbie

I will be using the PowerSupport Anti Glare HD on the front and the PS clear on the back. Do any of these cases interrupt the screen shield?

6. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

No, none of them do.

7. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Looks like you're all set and you have some great picks.

8. andrewmon thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess so! Are there any you guys particularly prefer? Im headed towards the CandyShell/Pop! or the Commuter now...

9. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

If it were me I'd go with the candyshell or commuter out of all of those. I have/used each one of them and would perfer the candyshell out of those for an everyday use, protection, and looks.

10. andrewmon thread starter macrumors newbie

I still think there should be a case table at Apple retail stores where you can try on all of the sample cases to see which you prefer.

11. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

Yeah, that'd be awesome. But if you ask them if You can try a case on your phone they will happily let you.

12. psyduckiee macrumors regular

The commuter is a great case as long as you're using protectors as you mentioned you are. I can vouch for it because I was in love with it until I decided to go with the defender. Btw, you can visit the Apple store but they wont have all the cases there. Especially the OtterBox case.

13. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

I can also recommend using the OtterBox Commuter with a full body skin.

14. andrewmon thread starter macrumors newbie

These are all great suggestions and cases but now I need to wait for the Verizon compatible CandyShell and Commuter come out…in the meantime, I was thinking of the CaseMate Pop! because no one knows how long it might take for the others. I have already contacted Speck and Otterbox about it and they keep on saying to check back on their site for updates. Also, something to note would be that on Amazon, when you try to order an Otterbox, it says (Fits AT&T iPhone) in parentheses. Possibly new Otterbox Verizon cases around the corner?

15. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Just a quick warning, the Case-Mate Pop! flaked like mad on the AT&T iPhone (take it from someone with a hands on) and I have no idea if they have changed that for the Verizon iPhone 4. You may want to wait for some first impressions before going outright and buying the case.

16. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

The Griffin Reveal protects the back with a clear plastic cover. It's pretty much a bumper with a clear plate on the back.

17. andrewmon thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you reccomend any cases for pocket use? I dont think the bumper would work…also I am thinking of a full body shield…wrapsol?

18. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

I have that on now, its a good skin but you won't be able to use it with really any cases because its so thick, not sure if your looking to use a case or not.

19. andrewmon thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, the CandyShell or the commuter.

20. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

Not really, candyshell wont work, tried it already.

These are my cases of choice when I have the wrapsol body skin on, they both work perfectly with the wrapsol.

21. andrewmon thread starter macrumors newbie

Will the Candyshell work with the PS bundle? Front and back?

22. psyduckiee macrumors regular

No it will not. Why would you want the candyshell if it starts to flake? It would be a waste of money considering it might not last long.

23. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

I love PDO Silk Slider cases.
    Great look, feel, and protection. Slim case, but offers a lot of protection for the size. It has a "soft" feel, but not overly so. Really hard to describe the feel, but I think it is pretty much perfect.

If you do order, use the code PDO2011 for $2.50 off. :cool:

24. andrewmon thread starter macrumors newbie

That or the commuter are the only cases I have interest in. Also, maybe new Speck cases will be released:
    http://www.speckproducts.com/iphone-case/verizon-iphone-4-cases.html