iPhone 4 clear case mod and brass exovault exo5 case modifications

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Clear'n'Brass, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Clear'n'Brass, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011

Clear'n'Brass macrumors newbie

This is my first post, 6th iPhone. Im basically trying to build a jaw dropper iPhone 4, because I'm bored with everyone having iPhones

I did the clear case mod a few days ago and it turned out pretty sexy, but my current brass case was even sexier. So I need to cut the back out of my case. I am looking to have the clear phone exposed while in the case. I would just need the exact size hole for the LCD screen cut in the same location on the back part. For the front I want to be able to see above and below the LCD and I was thinking it would look good with a rounded corner (like an ice hockey rink) following the curvature of the phone. I am also looking to loose some weight from the case by cutting out some of it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What do you guys think?
    I was thinking about replacing the wood panels with an exotic wood.
    I also have some of this light tape
    [​IMG]
    I have about a yard of it in lime green. Does anyone know how I could power it off the phones battery? I think I may have clearance for it, as I removed a thin aluminum baffle between the back glass and the rest of the internal components.

2. Mickyfin macrumors 6502

Mickyfin

Great work my friend, not for everyone, but I certainly like it.

Could you give me a HOW2, a break down guide, step by step with materials used etc please.?

3. Clear'n'Brass thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I watched a YouTube video of how to take apart the phone.
    To do what I did you need to take off the back glass, heat it with a hair dryer, separate the mounting bracket from the glass itself, trim out the center of the mounting bracket leaving just the rim, i scratched off the paint with a scalpel leaving just the apple that I freehand cut, reglue it to the glass, remove the battery mount, the battery, the mic/speaker thing, the rear camera, the vibrating thing, the processor, unplug 5 connectors, 20 some screws, the front glass/LCD, remove the glue from what you took apart. It took me 7 hours having never done anything like this before and I had not much to go on.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Not sure about the front, but the back of the iPhone looks freaking awesome!
    If installing the back plate isn't too hard, that is something I'd certainly want to do. (once I get a new iPhone)

5. Mickyfin macrumors 6502

Mickyfin

Thanks for the info, I have experience with disassembly already having converted one of my iphones to white including headphone jack, and dock connector, it was more a case of wanting to know how exactly you removed the paint. I gather the paint is on the inside of the glass correct?

I don't quite follow with the Apple logo though, is this not on the outside of the glass along with the iPhone text?

6. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

7. iPhaithful macrumors regular

iPhaithful

8. Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
  9. ventro, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  10. JASApplications macrumors 65816

11. Clear'n'Brass thread starter macrumors newbie

Both the silver and the black is on the inside. I cut around the apple. The words looked too difficult.

12. Clear'n'Brass thread starter macrumors newbie

My clear is the original black. I scratched the paint, read above. I didn't buy anything.

13. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Looks very trippy :eek:

I'd feel like a member of the Borg showing that thing off ;)