iPhone 4 color sucks vs galaxy s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sumeetganguly, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Sumeetganguly macrumors newbie

It's heart breaking but it's true...
    The screen and colors of samsung galaxy s beats iPhone 4 hands down.

Wish iPhone 5 screen puts others to shame.
    Love iPhone

2. applebook, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011

applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

"MacRumors Newbie," a hearty welcome.

Here is a fact that you should learn:

http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_1.htm

DisplayMate (THE authority on displays) tells us that the PENTILE MATRIX Galaxy S SAMOLED screen has AWFUL color reproduction and is horribly inaccurate.

The iP4 has the second best overall color reproduction, while the IPS Motorola Droid/Droid 2/Milestone has the most accurate colors and most accurate color gamut. However, DisplayMate wrote this article before the S-LCD HTC Desire came out. That display should be right there with the Droid for color reproduction.

Also, have you actually tried to read small text on the Galaxy S? To me, DisplayMate is being very generous to the crappy pentile matrix SAMOLED because they didn't really focus on TEXT quality, only images and pictures. For text, pentile matrix is an epic failure. Even larger text looks blurry. Ever wonder why the Galaxy S skin features particularly LARGE text? Because that horrid screen fails at small text miserably. This is what happens when you are missing 33% subpixels on a large display.

Read the article; learn something new. Your impotent attempt @ trolling has backfired due to ignorance.

3. mKTank, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2011

mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

The OP talked about the colors. According to that article, the iPhone 4 has a weak color gamut, which reinforces the purpose of the thread.

4. fertilized-egg, Jan 7, 2011

fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

[/QUOTE]

Umm... I'm amazed that you'd attack someone personally with such obvious misinformation. Let me quote from the article:

"sRGB / Rec.709 is the color standard for most content and needed for accurate color reproduction. Too Large is visually worse than Too Small."

The Galaxy S' colors aren't "better," it just errs on the other side of the spectrum. Also it should be noted that the Galaxy S has the most off white balance in the group as well which skews the colors. In addition I've seen other tests where the iPhone's display showed much more accurate grey tone curves than the Galaxy S' did.

I see that you've made your mind up regarding these issues, but it helps if you actually read the article before attacking someone.

5. mKTank, Jan 8, 2011

mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Doesn't matter what it thinks is worse. It's subjective. I like having more colors than the lack of colors. But the Retina Display still has weak colors and the OP would prefer it to be stronger. That's the entire point.

6. fertilized-egg, Jan 8, 2011

Oh boy. The gamut goes further than just a simple number of colors for the final effect. It shifts the colors and lead to color inaccuracies and oversaturation. OP didn't say "stronger," he said "better" and that's where he went wrong. If he said "the colors look much more punchy on the SAMOLED and I prefer that," then that would've been fair.

7. mKTank, Jan 8, 2011

mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

He can call himself an expert, but really, in the end it's subjective. Again. It's the same case with audiophiles. They'll tell you what sounds better, but you probably won't agree because, again, everybody senses and prefers different things. Putting my iPhone 4 and a SAMOLED device next to each other, even though the SAMOLED is pretty much exaggerated, it makes the iPhone 4's screen look bland and lifeless in comparison. I'm obviously not the only one who prefers the SAMOLED. I don't care how much this 'expert' campaigns for his opinions.

The OP saying that the SAMOLED is better? Yeah, from his point of view. He doesn't have to provide specific terminology to cater to people who might disagree. Besides, anybody who isn't just posting to defend the iPhone will know what he means anyway.

8. fertilized-egg, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011

You know, it's amazing how far one will twist words to avoid an embarrassment on the internet. Just admit it that you're wrong and stop with the anti Apple fanboy crap. Look at the guy who wrote the article

So here we have a Princeton physics PhD who runs a company that specializes in display technologies, and you're saying "he can call himself an expert"? Wow.

Umm...precisely why you're wrong. If someone says "Wow, this Sony stereo system has so much more bass, it puts your B&W speakers to shame. Your system sound lifeless and sucks!" What would you say? Now the iPhone display's colors aren't perfect but Samsung's SAMOLED is even more flawed and the effect's very measurable.

Heck we haven't even said anything about the Samsung's biggest weakness: the pentile matrix. The OP said the iPhone display "sucks" compared to the SAMOLED and he's wrong. If you think that's all subjective, yes, a $100 boombox sounds better than highend audio because it has more bass and sound more "alive."

9. redbeard331, Jan 8, 2011

redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

Well said.

I compared my iP4 screen to my friends Galaxy S phone and while his screen was brighter overall, the retina display looks much better to the eye and isn't all pixelated. I can't have phone screens turned up indoors all the way anyways since it hurts my eyes, sort of how someone with their stereo on full blast hurts my ears, to go along with your example.

10. applebook, Jan 8, 2011

applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

I'm sick and tired of hearing some uninformed people spout about how awesome SAMOLED is. YES, SAMOLED/OLED is a wonderful technology. Unfortunately, Samsung screwed us by using a cheap pentile matrix system, which most people aren't aware of until they actually use their Galaxy S for awhile and try to read smallish text. Unless zoomed in enough, there are clearly jagged edges and "missing" pixels around text. This is sort of a big deal for a phone that is meant for texting/reading webpages! The Galaxy S is a very good phone, and if the screen were better, it would be virtually perfect. Purchased at a discount on eBay/Craigslist, the Galaxy S is a good value because of its speed, storage, and slimness. Battery life is generally pretty decent as well. However, the Droid 2 Global is clearly a superior Android, with an awesome IPS screen, 1.2GHz processor, fast 8Gb storage, plus Verizon and worldwide GSM compatibility.

redbeard331, the iP4's screen is actually quite a bit brighter than the Galaxy S. Colors on the Galaxy S are very "gaudy" and certainly impress those not scrutinizing it for defects like DisplayMate and techno dorks like me.

The next SAMOLED display will hopefully be RGB full subpixels. If it is, I personally don't care if its colors are inaccurate, so long as text is readable and images sharp.

Higher color gamut does not mean MORE colors! LOL.

The fact is that the iP4 has true 24-bit color but a lower color gamut, whereas the Galaxy S has only 16-bit color and a higher color gamut.

11. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

We have a Moto Droid, a Samsung Fascinate (A Galaxy S phone) and an iPhone 4 here in the family. I put the same family photo on all three devices, set the screen brightness the "same" (its relative to the device obviously...but on 80% for all three) and then laid them out.

I will say that the Fascinate subjectively "looks" the best of the three when viewed straight on. But if you tilt either your head or the device ever so slightly, it loses quite a bit of the fidelity and vibrancy. This is where the iPhone 4 Retina display shines (pun intended). You can view the same image from multiple angles and really get the same great image, color, vibrancy and saturation. The Droid comes in dead last of the group, but its a pretty old display technology in comparison to the others.

I still perfer the iPhone 4's display for a phone. If we were talking a stationary digital picture frame, the Fascinate's 800-by-480, 16.7M-color Super AMOLED would be fine, although they'd have to pump up the resolution substantially in a larger display for such purposes. The iPhone 4, even with a smaller screen, has a higher resolution at 960-by-640-pixel and 326 ppi. That Retina "in-plane switching" really seems optimized for a device you hold with your hand that won't always have a consistent viewing angle. This is the part of the tech that makes the iPhone 4 shine so well...and demonstrates that they really do look at the human equation when designing their products.

12. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

LOL WHAT?!

You can't be serious, do you even own an iPhone 4?

LOL :)

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Technical reasons aside, I'll take higher PPI over better contrast and colors any day.

14. JonTa, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2011

JonTa macrumors member

LOL, im totally with egg on this one.. its the same with blu-rays rlses (over at avforums) where people were defending studios with sub-par titles like the first rls of gladiator, lotr, truman show where they dnr'ed & sharpend the **** out of picture yet there were people backing up that the waxy non film-grain picture looks better on their hdtvs and that this is how needs to be high definition picture.

15. Al3x87 macrumors member

You are wrong! Anyways, have you ever tried the Galaxy S's touch screen? It is horrible!

16. mKTank, Jan 8, 2011

mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

I found it more sensitive to touch than the iPhone 4, but that could lead to problems. It's definitely less user-friendly until you learn how to use it. Tends to double-click a lot if your touches aren't firm.

Don't know about this argument but if they said that Blu-ray versions of those movies look better than the DVD versions, then they're right.

17. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

A good point because, like inaccurate oversaturated colors, over-applied noise reduction and sharpening are technically inferior but subjectively "look good" to many, just like bass boost is for music. If they get more enjoyment out of it, that's fine. Just don't try to force us how that's really "better" and something else "sucks." It's not and we have objective proof.

18. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Both phones here - Galaxy S puts the iPhone screen to shame. It basically looks like a plasma TV with incredibly deep blacks.

Resolution is a different story though.

19. felch macrumors member

I find that my iPhone 4 colors are extremely accurate tho the black levels arent the greatest.

My main desktop displays are a Samsung 206bw and Dell U2311H IPS display, both are calibrated with a Spyder3Elite, as is my MBP that Im using right now.

My photos printed off of my Epson Stylus Photo R1900 match both of my calibrated monitors perfectly and the same image on my iPhone4 is almost spot on as well. That same image on my friends HTC Incredible was over saturated.

I will trust a colorimeter for color accuracy above all others.

20. Sumeetganguly thread starter macrumors newbie

Guys... We don't professionally edit photos on handsets. The topic is not about seeing true colors...
    It's about what looks great to one's eye.
    Besides, galaxy s has a great black.
    I haven't seen any phone displaying black the way galaxy s does.
    I am only trying to day that iPhone 5 should come up with a solid screen to put all the others to shame.

21. Knowimagination, Jan 8, 2011

Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

OP as a newbie its probably best not to start threads like "iphone 4 color sucks vs galaxy s" it makes it seem like you are just here to start useless bicker threads and not something helpful to the forum.

22. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

An old article that embarrasses pentile matrix: http://www.mobiletechworld.com/2010/06/24/iphone-4-retina-display-vs-samsung-galaxy-s-super-amoled/

Some people prefer inferior crap. If you like fake, unrealistic colors, then by all means, enjoy. Keep in mind that black isn't a color though. :rolleyes: And you won't appreciate those deep blacks outdoors or when, well, the lights are on.

To me, the biggest reason why the iP4's display is far superior isn't even about the colors because absolute accuracy isn't that important to me. It's that the pentile matrix arrangement makes the Galaxy S' colors absolutely unacceptable for serious use. Then, there are the enormous problems with having 33% fewer subpixels, effectively rendering the 480x800 screen just 2/3rds of its supposed resolution.

This thread should be stickied.

23. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

24. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

25. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Again, anybody who has actually used a device with SAMOLED will tell you that while Pentile Matrix sucks, it's extremely hard to notice with regular usage. You can only see it if you're trying to find it while holding the device really close to your face. Otherwise, it's unnoticeable. Pick another argument.