iPhone 4 custom back glass replacements?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HXGuy, Jun 29, 2010.

1. HXGuy macrumors 68000

The iFixit tear down of the iPhone 4 showed that the back of the phone is very easy to remove, just two screws and it comes off.

Do you guys think that companies will start releasing custom backs with graphics or maybe even made of different material (carbon fiber?).

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yes i cannot find the link right now, but my friend showed it to me last night, one company it is already offering it

3. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Post up the link if you find it...that sounds cool.

4. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

Here is something I saw on Gizmodo which is the concept Im talking about...though this is some exotic African wood and it costs $3000.

[​IMG]

5. Nckcard macrumors regular

In addition to the fancy wood, the apple logo on that is made out of gold.

6. BadMoon macrumors 6502

This is why I'm going naked. No bumper no ugly film. If I scratch it bad enough (and I'm very careful anyways) to the point where it bothers me I will just buy new backs. This is going to be fun seeing what companies come up with. I think I may go with a white back that doesn't show as much if it does happen to get scratched a bit.

7. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

8. Moorevfr macrumors newbie

Please link after market backs

Please link if you come across a site selling backing, wouldn't mind for future use. Unfortunatly I've already got a couple of scratches on the back of my ip4 :( and that's thanks to a case I had bought to stop it from scratching not cause it.

9. pirateRACE macrumors 6502

I'm not sure I'd replace the back plate with a 3rd party part, but I sure would like to know where to buy a white OEM iPhone 4 back glass!!
    ;)

10. coelacanth macrumors 6502

I'm looking forward to some creative replacement backs.

• Leatherette version like BB Bold.
    • With lens cover / conversion lens attachement.
    • Custom illustration laser engraved.
    • Larger battery integrated.

:D

11. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

I guess makes sense why apple did not put in gorilla glass like the front. Easy to replace and make it look cool. Now I can go naked except for IS film, no more worries

12. Dsking85 macrumors member

Why not? any half ass company can make a rectangular piece to OEM specifications.

13. JonBorichef macrumors regular

JonBorichef

Wow... thats quite expensive... but cool. :cool:

14. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Here's an iPhone 4 OEM parts store, but no back covers unfortunately.
    <Link>

And here's the back plate, but for $170.
    <Link>

15. agallowa macrumors regular

agallowa

im hoping for this sooner than later too. its only a matter of time before a good priced peice comes out for the back since its so easy to swich out like you said. im wanting a white back like alot of people are i think. a white back and all black from would look amazing. keeping fingers crossed for that piece soon so i can pick it up. :D

16. coelacanth macrumors 6502

Leica offers Sapphire Crystal LCD cover glass as retrofitting upgrade (about $1k ).

Maybe someone will start selling sapphire crystal back for iPhone 4, only for rich people dropping $7k for Leica M9 and shooting bunch of "test shots" exclusively. :D

17. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I'd be interested in replacing the back of my iPhone 4 with something a little more durable, or at the very least, different. If anyone hears of anything (in the <$70 price range) please post here!

18. Mikey86uk macrumors 6502

does this effect your warrenty?

In the UK we get 12months as standard, so if i was to do this, will that invalidate my warrenty?

19. peteisanidiot macrumors regular

i'm a little confused. http://chinaontrade.com/iphone-4-spare-parts-c-106.html is for the back panel only and substantially less expensive than a replacement with the plate. notice no lens and flash covers, though. i'm guessing it would be quite invasive to replace this part and not just swap the entire plate out?

20. Dsking85 macrumors member

yes but you would just replace the back with the original one before having it looked at and they would never know.

21. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

$120 is a bit hard to swallow, just for the glass.. $30, 40, or $50 is a much more attractive price. Unless others offer a better deal, I guess I will still have to use some sort of a case to protect it when I finally get the iP4.

22. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I absolutely want a wood back plate. Something like that African wood or a nice mahogany or even bamboo. I actually think the market for this will take off. Im quite pleased with the decision to make the back easy to remove.

23. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a