iphone 4 - Dead Pixels

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nanocustoms, Jun 23, 2010.

1. nanocustoms macrumors regular

To my dismay, my iphone4 has dead pixels. So small i thought it was dust, but for sure, its dead pixels.

Pics coming in a sec.

2. nanocustoms thread starter macrumors regular

pics. See attached.

Attached Files:

3. advan031 macrumors 6502

that doesn't look like a dead pixel to me...more like dirt.

4. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

i got one stuck/dead pixel in the top right corner on mine. not bothered by it since it's so small, and most apps i use don't even have a white screen.

5. PunisherUltra macrumors member

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT DEAD PIXELS BUT THE RIGHT SIDE OF THAT PIC is YELLOW, SPOTTY AND WITH LIGHT LEAK?

It looks horrendous.

6. nanocustoms thread starter macrumors regular

bad pic in flouro lighting. The pic was with my 3gs. I will be using my DSLR later today and maybe even getting a microscope on it.

The spec that looks like dust is about .5 mm. Definately not dust.

Not trying to be one of those "guys" but i'm a mechanical engineer, and i have a really good set of eyes (up close).

I wouldnt have noticed it except i saw the post about the yellowing corners. I went to a blank safari page, turned it and boom.

If it was in portrait, I wouldnt have seen it.

It doesnt bother me that much, but a product should be perfect out of the box. THis one shouldnt have slipped.

Chris

7. PunisherUltra macrumors member

Return it, get full refund and come back later.

It's just not WORTH it imo.

8. advan031 macrumors 6502

I say just keep using it until the hype wears down and replacment units are available in stores then exchange it.

This is the price we pay for early adoption and not just with Apple.

9. UnseenLlama macrumors 6502a

UnseenLlama

10. nanocustoms thread starter macrumors regular

Not worried. Its a minor defect. My wife wants the white one and although its not a great reason to switch later, my genius bar guys seem to see no harm in doing it. Its the same price right?

Anyways. It stinks, but im not gonna make a huff.

Manufacturing processes happen in the real world and there are variables. If apple came up with crappy code, thats one thing, but a physical defect is something else.

Shoulda been caught, but i have "engineers eyes" for a reason.

GL to all

Chris

11. alejovh1 macrumors regular

is supposed to be a "retina display". you shouldn't be able to see individual pixels :D

sorry, just kidding. send it back or it will bother you all the time

12. jman240 macrumors 6502a

With the new displays these are going to be really hard to spot. Oh joy.

Id say one out of 614,400 isn't bad heh.

13. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Now that you've brought it up (gee thanks), I see two on my screen. One black spot in the middle and one grey spot in the upper left.

Obviously given the tiny pixel size, I really have to look for them to see them. At least now I know how small these pixels really are!

I guess given the density, dead pixels are more likely but also much less obtrusive.

I'm not going to sweat it.

14. nanocustoms thread starter macrumors regular

now that i know what im looking for, its in the search bar, on the icon, etc.

Not a big deal. Not to worry. Once supplies come back up, i can get it squared away.

Chris

15. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

Don't see a dead pixel here, but there is a pretty big reflective/metallic speck of something in the middle of the screen. It is black when the screen is illuminated and when the screen is off and I shine a pen light on it it reflects like a mirror.

:-/

16. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

That isn't a dead/stuck pixel. They come up as a single colour, either Red or Green or Blue or just black.

Why is the picture taken is a dark room?

Finally, you can't even distinguish the individual pixels in that photo, so you can't even see a problematic pixel to begin with.

17. a.jfred macrumors 6502

Oh thank god - I thought it was just me. I have one in the exact same spot, and a 2nd one on the other side, darker than the first. I'll post pix when I can get a decent one. At first, I thought they were just specks of dust, but they won't wipe off.

Edited 9:58PM CDT: Adding Pix . They're cropped for detail.

If you open up Safari, the one on the left is in the back arrow, and the one on the right is immediately to the left of the "switch between pages/add new page" icon.

Photos taken with my Sigma 105mm ex DG macro lens. Still not great pics (doing macro by hand, focusing on an itty bitty spot on the screen), but you get the idea.

Attached Files:

18. a.jfred macrumors 6502

I was checking for the yellowing corners, too, which is when I spied them. Not a huge issue for me, since they're in rather inconspicuous areas. I figure by the time they've got the stock up enough to have replacements, I may forget about them ;)

19. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

Going to take mine in tomorrow for an exchange. By the time they'll start having a huge supply, they'll also have a big supply of REFURBS for these situations. I want to make sure mine is still brand new.

20. macthak macrumors newbie

hey op i have one in the same exact spot

21. grkazan11 macrumors newbie

Hey orijinal can we get a update on your phone screen and your trip to the apple store???

22. TexasBlake macrumors member

TexasBlake

How can you see dead pixles, Steve-O says you can't see them!
    :cool::p

23. birdsofprey02 macrumors newbie

Anybody take theirs back to the store yet for an exchange? I have 4 spots on my screen just like the OP. They look more like dust than dead pixels but this was right out of the box (my phone arrived yest).

I don't need a new one asap, just want to make sure that I eventually get a new phone for free exchange when the supplies are stable.

24. lunarcamel macrumors newbie

I returned mine due to a screen defect through the online store and they sent me out a 'replacement' which was a brand new phone. Of course they had to put a 'hold' on my credit card but I was ok with it.

My issue looked like something was pressing against the back of the screen. I really think they just rushed production and a lot of us are seeing the fallout. I think Apple knows this and they are doing whatever they can to fix the problems on a case by case basis.

25. oingiboingi macrumors newbie

Try clicking the power button while pressing down the home button to take a screen capture. I too have at least one dead pixel so far :(