iPhone 4 dead

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by johndeerrm, Jun 23, 2010.

1. johndeerrm macrumors newbie

Activated just fine, did the restore to get the stuff from my 3GS. About 10 min later noticed there was no service no matter where i went in the house. Ok no problem, lets reboot.

FAIL

Tried to turn it back on, nothing. It would only turn back on when it was connected to the USB cable. When it would turn back on it would give the apple logo for 4-5 seconds then reboot. After doing this about 5 times I forced it into restore mode.

Restore mode works up until it tried to validate the restore with apple and gives a screen saying "Preparing phone for restore" then it reboots. It will reboot one more time then I get an error in itunes "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unkown error occured (1611)."

How screwed am I?

Attached Files:

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. johndeerrm thread starter macrumors newbie

4. johndeerrm thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

6. lazer310 macrumors member

Having the same issue. After locking the phone, the phone becomes unresponsive. Home button doesn't do anything. Tried to do a hard reset, nothing. Plug it into itunes, it finds a phone in recovery mode. Unplug it from itunes, do another hard reset, and it reboots to apple logo, and it comes back to normal use. Until you open it, and lock it. Then the cycle starts over again.
    After locking it, and leaving it sit for 3 minutes, it goes into this "dead mode". Phone calls just ring, texts dont do anything, no push notifications, nothing.

I did a restore from a freshly downloaded copy of itunes 9.2 and a fresh copy of iOS4 on both a Mac, and a PC, 2 times on each, with different cables.

So I have a very expensive iBrick.

7. socbrian macrumors regular

you just shelled out big money for a new phone, go to apple and make them replace it. simple as that

8. lazer310 macrumors member

I will. But the question is, if I brave the crowd at the Apple store today, will they have a new unit to give me?

9. Blazing angel macrumors regular

most likely not:mad:

try to restore on another computer. thats how i got rid of 1611.

by chance, is the pc xp?

10. Demosthenes427 macrumors regular

Most Apple stores (if not all) will have a limited supply of extra iPhone 4's for walk-in customers or for those of us who received it early and are experiencing problems with it. You just bought it and expect your money's worth - Apple won't screw you for several days or weeks due to a defect on their part.

11. lazer310 macrumors member

Yes, the PC is XP. I've tried restoring on a Mac and a PC, twice on both.

The good news is, I called Apple, and they set me up with an appointment to have the phone swapped out for a new one. Hopefully, this is just a minor problem with a few phones.

If your having a similar problem, call up Apple and get it replaced. Like someone else said, no sense in paying big bucks for a phone you can't use.

12. johndeerrm thread starter macrumors newbie

What number did you call?

13. lazer310 macrumors member

I started a support case on apple.com, filled in the options, and had them call me.

14. johndeerrm thread starter macrumors newbie

Giving that a shot right now. They are sending me to level 2 support :eek:

15. johndeerrm thread starter macrumors newbie

Have an apointment for tomorrow evening to have them look at it.

I wonder if they offer Apple iPhone Addiction Care for the meantime? ;)

16. TheByrus macrumors newbie

Here's to hoping they actually have some stock on hand to replace these defective iPhones with.

17. mikephotos macrumors newbie

I'm having the exact same issue with my phone that was delivered yesterday. On hold with Apple right now trying to solve/get replacement. Phone just shuts down complete after sitting for 3-4 minutes. Only way to get it started again is holding down sleep/wake and home for 10 secs twice. Annoying!

18. TheByrus macrumors newbie

I've discovered a temporary solution for this. If you activate your iPhone ipod, mute it, and just leave it playing on repeat, the phone will stay out of DFU mode.

Edit: however this is a separate issue from the OP. You're experiencing phantom error 1600 (which according to Apple's site, does not exist)

19. lazer310 macrumors member

Byrus, thats a good temp solution. I'll try that. Gonna kill my battery just as fast as leaving auto lock off and not locking/sleeping the phone though. Oh well.

And the OP was getting error 1600, I was getting that as well. Once I got the 1600 error, I did the power and home button till the apple logo came up, and then was able to sync. But then the lock/sleep issue started.
    At least I'm getting it replaced tomorrow.

20. TheByrus macrumors newbie

I just got back from the Apple Store and when I told the employee at the door my iPhone 4 was defective, she pushed me right to the front of the line. I was in and out with a new iPhone in about 30 minutes.

Edit: you can lock it while the ipod is playing and it won't go into DFU mode. Apple says the iPhone 4 battery supports 40 hours of audio playback.

21. lazer310 macrumors member

Thats encouraging news. I will stop by the store after work! Might not even need that Genius appointment.

22. rvenners macrumors newbie

Same Problem

I am having the same problem. I called the local Apple Store and was told to come by after work, talk to a manager and they can give me a replacement. I'll head over then and hope that I don't get the same problem with another phone.

23. johndeerrm thread starter macrumors newbie

Stopped by the apple store today after work, they gave me a replacement. It works perfectly!

It doesnt do the reduced signal strength thing no matter how I hold it...

And the screen... WOW, makes my 3GS look like a old .40 dot pitch CRT :eek:

24. Owyn macrumors newbie

Ugh. My phone just got this black screen of death problem. I put it into restore mode and now I am getting "error 1600", and I am unable to restore.

Trying to do more research as to what to do next, so I'm posting to a few threads.