iphone 4 didn't survive fall from bathroom counter

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rutiger, Jun 29, 2010.

1. rutiger macrumors regular

wife knocked her phone off the bathroom counter this morning. back is shattered and no incoming voice now. oddly enough the speaker works as you can hear voicemail. but incoming calls you get nothing.

needless to say i'm pissed. got 4 days out of it and now it's ruined.

btw, she dropped her 3g a half dozen times over the years and not even a mark on it.

[​IMG]

2. jasperk99 macrumors regular

3. mase282 macrumors newbie

this is covered by the default warranty no?

4. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Nope.

5. coelacanth macrumors 6502

Ouch. Sorry to hear.

My GF is getting iPhone 4 in August when she comes back from overseas. I will FORCE her to get double layered case or she's gonna break it in a week. Her 2yrs old 3G is falling apart and you can see its guts already. There is no way i4 will survive my GF.

6. jasperk99 macrumors regular

You didn't happen to buy insurance..........

7. tomashi macrumors regular

8. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

Seems like more and more of these accidents are happening each day now. I don't want to seem harsh but obviously its your own fault.... but as far as phones go it looks like this new iPhone is one of the most fragile on the market and they say the glass is 30x stronger then plastic???

9. holidaypf macrumors member

These things are delicate. I barely tapped a hard surface today while the new iPhone was in my front pocket and it dented the glass corner and a bit of the metal band.

Definitely going to need a case for this one. I had my 2g out of the case for the last couple of years and it took a beating. This one, I don't think will make it without some extra help.

Such is life.

10. tritonj macrumors 6502a

this really has nothing to do with the strength on the glass, think of it like the glass on your car window. if is very strong but there are certain points where if you hit it just right you'll shatter the glass. same thing here, it is just bad luck that it is hitting the floor or whatever surface at that point,

11. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

I heard the "Gorilla Glass" even though strong, is under a lot of pressure so shatters far easily than it should do...

Also, why do people treat £500 gadgets with no care? Seen so many threads about dropping iPhones etc and ruining them

12. Telecacher macrumors member

13. JonB3Z macrumors 6502

14. mase282 macrumors newbie

Gorilla glass is tough against scratches and abrasions, but not against shock and sudden impact.

15. JackSpearo macrumors regular

16. TaylorBoi macrumors member

SMH accidents like this show just how the iPhone 4 is overrated and just not built right. This should definitely send messages to people to get a case asap.

17. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

On a side note does anyone know if any of the protective shields out their stop the glass from shattering?

Also whats the bumper like for protection or do yah think a better case is in order??

18. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Its 30x stronger than plastic but also very very brittle (the stronger its made the more brittle), so it shatters.

19. xxxsteveoxxx macrumors member

xxxsteveoxxx

Ifixit reported that the back is not gorrilla glass, just the front. Also the stated that replaceing the back only takes removing the two bottom screws and sliding it off. You should be able to buy a new back soon and install it yourself. Wont be long and there will be customs colored backs for sale im sure. id love a white one

20. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

geez I don't think I've seen as many broken 2G, 3G and 3GS combined as iPhone 4

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You may already have insurance if you purchased it using a CC with some kind of purchase protection plan such as Amex, which covers 90 days of accidental damage and theft.

22. JonBorichef macrumors regular

JonBorichef