iPhone 4 doesnt feel right in the hand...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by esadb, Aug 26, 2010.

1. esadb macrumors 65816

Nov 29, 2008
    Coming from a 3G, it seemed natural holding it in my right hand and also just typing with just the thumb. I did have a case on my 3G while the ip4 i dont have anything on it yet.

Also kinda cradling it between my two hands upfront and using two thumbs to type seemed perfectly fine too..

Now with this ip4 i kinda seem to be having a hard time with that i actually gotta landscape it to type..

It just feels too small in my hands, anyone else feel that way too?
  2. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

Jul 24, 2006
    Size feels fine, its the hard edges that cut into your hand that's more of a problem for me.
  3. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

Jul 19, 2010
    Feels fine to me. I didn't notice a change after switching to it from the iPhone 3G S.
  4. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

May 11, 2008
    Thats because the 3G is a brick in comparison.
    You'll get over it.
  5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Aug 29, 2006
    Washington DC
    How long have you had it?

It took me about 2 or 3 days to get used to it. Now I find the 3G to feel comically soap-like in my hands.
  6. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jul 7, 2010
    Bay Area
    How hard are you holding the phone for it to dig into your hands?
  7. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

Nov 29, 2008
    Been using it now for 5 days straight now. But ive had it for a week and a half and played around with it here and there...

Just seems small.. maybe you guys have small hands i dont know..
  8. eastercat macrumors 68040

Mar 3, 2008
    How can you compare using a naked iphone 4 with a 3G in a case? They're not comparable. Most cases add bulk and sometimes a grippy feeling. It's more sensible to compare the two in cases or without cases. Since you're used to the case, you should use it for the 4 as well.
    No matter what, the iphone 4 is thinner.
    I got an otterbox defender case on my 4 and it doesn't feel dramatically different than my 3G in an agent 18 case.
  9. maflynn Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    I think the iPhone 4 has a great size/balance/weight ratio. Its a typical apple product which is designed and the smallest details have been thought out - except for the antenna :p

With that said, not every hand is the same, so while one phone is ok for me, doesn't mean its ok for someone else.
  10. BadMoon macrumors 6502

Jun 21, 2010
    LOL! I was thinking that too.
  11. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2010
    Elk Grove Village, IL, USA
    Im with you OP, I still prefer the feel of the 3G/3Gs
  12. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

Jun 11, 2009
    The ip4 is actually the one that feels like a brick in your hand, but you will get used to it after a couple of weeks. I'm fairly comfortable with it, but often miss the almost perfect feel of my 3gs when handling it.
  13. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

Apr 5, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I get what the OP is saying...it's the lack of a rounded back that feels different while you're holding the iP4....but the new design is comfortable, just takes getting used to
  14. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

Dec 24, 2007
    You're holding it wrong. :D

No wait.....go buy a case for it that's the same dimensions of the one you had on your 3Gs, then you'll have the best of both worlds. Same hand feel, upgraded iPhone. :cool:
  15. billycuth macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2010
    Are you holding it in your left hand?

Try switching to the right hand. It feels much better.
  16. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

Jul 14, 2010
    Phila, PA
    The switch from the plastic back to the glass back and steel band helps making the phone feel luxurious.
  17. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

Nov 29, 2008
    Nope, right hand.

I try to cradle it at times between the two hands to use my thumbs while in portrait to type a text but it feels weird at times.

Landscape is perfectly fine tho.

I sure do agree with that tho. Seems very sturdy and i like that part.
  18. billycuth macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2010
    Maybe you have it upside down then. that's all I can think of... :confused::apple:
  19. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

Nov 29, 2008
    Like i said.. maybe some people just have small hands/fingers..

Since the device is smaller i seem to be having a harder time with my fingers moving across the screen. But none the less it still works fine.
  20. Polo5 macrumors regular

May 2, 2008
    Apple made a significant change from its previous iPhones to this new iPhone 4, I know where you are comming from. I like the feel of the previous iPhones more, but I like the looks of the iPhone 4 too :eek: So i'm like stuck in the middle lol :p, at the end is not a big deal for me. It took me a little bit to adjust to it, hopefully you can eventually adjust as well.
  21. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

Jun 23, 2010
    I prefer the iP4 a lot easier to hold, doesn't feel like a bar of soap.

The flat side are especially nice.
  22. ratbatblue macrumors 6502

Sep 12, 2007
    It's thin and narrow. It feels much better when you put even a bumper on it. I had the same uncomfortable feeling initially. A case like the Griffin Reveal makes it even better, actually, as far as curing that feeling goes.
  23. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Apr 18, 2010
    Feels near perfect to me. The iPad always felt like it was lightly cutting into my hand, the edges on the iPhone 4 have never given me anything close to that feeling.
  24. bunnicula macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2008
    I love it. I have small hands, though.

I suggest putting it in a case. That'll probably make it feel more like you want it to feel when holding it in your right hand.
  25. Subjugator macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2010
    No. And if you don't like something why pay $200+ for it and then go online and complain about it? Either return it to the location where you purchased it to receive a full refund or better yet try it out in the store before you buy it and you won't have these problems.

Sorry to flame there just so many pointless threads about something trivial you can cure yourself without going online and complaining.