Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McBeats

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2007
erf
i gotta say, when i first saw the design i thought "wow what the hell is this crap? this is BETTER than the 3GS design? barf...."

but now that i got it, held it in my hand... i friggin love it; its so solid. the 2 pieces of glass is fun to fling around with your fingers when your bored.... lol sounds dumb i know, but its the little things that make it great.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
It would have been nice for a smoother edge to the antennas.

But, judging from Apple's other products (Macbook Pro, their keyboards, etc) the word "chamfer" doesn't seem to be in Apple's vocabulary lol

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
It is the reason why I got the Apple Bumper initially. The edges is what bothered me and it was slippery. Then the bumper started to give me problems because it didn't have a flush back which digged into the palm of my hands after awhile. Hated that feel too.

I like my PixelSkin HD case even if it is slightly revised and feels stiffer than the original. I like that lint is easy to wipe away, has room for the camera flash, and how it fits perfectly into my holster. I like that is more black than the purple I see in the video reviews too. My Speck case is also perfectly aligned in the bottom where the charging port is. I can live with the stiff power switch and volume buttons as long as dust and lint do not slip inside. The original seemed to have loose sides. Comfort is the most important to me over aesthetics. I prefer to go naked with most of my phones, but this one of those rare exceptions where I don't mind a case for it even if it adds thickness for protection. All about comfort and a peace of mind. TBH, my phone still looks pretty good in them too. :cool:

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
i gotta say, when i first saw the design i thought "wow what the hell is this crap? this is BETTER than the 3GS design? barf...."

but now that i got it, held it in my hand... i friggin love it; its so solid. the 2 pieces of glass is fun to fling around with your fingers when your bored.... lol sounds dumb i know, but its the little things that make it great.

I fling the phone in my fingers too! The oleophobic coating makes it slide downwards slippery even though you are holding the phone tight.

I find the phone is harder to hold too since it's thinner and there is no bezel around the screen that makes it wider. The design is basically the same as if you took the display module from the 3GS.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
No. And if you don't like something why pay $200+ for it and then go online and complain about it? Either return it to the location where you purchased it to receive a full refund or better yet try it out in the store before you buy it and you won't have these problems.

Sorry to flame there just so many pointless threads about something trivial you can cure yourself without going online and complaining.

This was more a general curiosity question to see how people felt about it.. I didnt bitch or complain or ask for if i should return it anywhere's in any of the posts.

You sir, need to relax and stop posting in a thread that you don't relate to at all. Since you don't seem to find so at all, why bother posting? Also its entirely my business if I had paid $200 and then even just left it sitting and not even touched it...

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
While I agree the IP4 looks much better, the thin design feels better in your pocket, and just about everything else is better... The old phone is more comfortable in your hand. Your palm is curved, just like the 3GS. When holding the IP4, the center of your palm is always empty and it feels a little weird.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Oh yea and I just received the white 99cent bumper from ebay lol.

Works quite well and feels pretty solid in the hand!

Oh the new design of the ip4 is so much nicer looking than the older styles.. It looks more business like and I love it. I almost dont even want to wear a case with it haha.

jgayman

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010
The ip4 is actually the one that feels like a brick in your hand, but you will get used to it after a couple of weeks. I'm fairly comfortable with it, but often miss the almost perfect feel of my 3gs when handling it.

I will second that! With it's cubic shape, the iPhone4 couldn't get much more brick-like. While I like the overall size the squareness is hard to get used to after 25 years of palm-filling devices.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I do think that 3G/S is a more "ergonomic" design, but 4 is much better built.
That said, the difference in ergonomics is very minimal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.