iPhone 4 flew off a giant rollercoaster and survived

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nagroe, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Nagroe macrumors newbie

I had my iPhone 4 in my pocket when I went on the sheikra at busch gardens. Just in case you're wondering the sheikra is a dive coaster with a 200 foot 90 degree drop that goes 70 miles an hour. After that there are some flips and corkscrews. After the ride was over I realized my iPhone wasn't in my pocket so I got my friend to call it and some guy picked up. When I went and got the phone i saw that it worked perfectly fine(except for the fact that the flash was broken) but the back was completely destroyed. I also lost my case I guess it flew off somehow but I'm
    Glad the phone works. I will have pics soon but now I'm on my phone and idk how to attach a photo

2. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

1. I hate to say "cool story, bro," but, literally, it is.
    2. Don't worry, Flash has been broken on all iOS devices since 2007.
    3. Glad to know it actually survived. Good luck on a warranty replacement.
    4. You can't upload anything from Mobile Safari. Something I've been asking for, more than Flash or many other features. You can't upload a photo, submit a resume, or do anything that has to deal with sending something up to a website, other than something you can type or enter - major issue IMO.

3. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

I've been on that rollercoaster a couple of times, always was cautious about riding it with my iPhone but never (knock on wood) had my phone fly off.

4. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

without pictures....this story isnt much.

5. longhornx macrumors newbie

the phone could have killed someone. how the ******* can u bring the phone with you on a rollercoaster?

6. Stein357 macrumors 6502

I highly doubt the phone could kill someone...

7. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I see people do this all the time.

8. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

What do you want to do, leave it on the ground before you ride?

9. buc macrumors member

nobody cares about stories like this. We'd much rather hear about the dude who's careless girlfriend dropped his new Iphone 6 millimeters onto 1-inch shag carpeting and it exploded into a thousand pieces so we can discuss how evil Steve Jobs is.

10. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

If you weren't being sarcastic, I think the OP was talking about the LED flash in the back of the phone.

11. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

This made me laugh out loud in the office. Brilliant!

12. cypherx82 macrumors newbie

13. MCRunning macrumors 6502

14. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I'm actually willing to bet that it could kill someone. 200 foot drop would do some major damage if it didn't kill you. A penny dropped off the empire state building will kill someone, so why couldn't a phone from 200 feet falling on your head?

15. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

You should watch Mythbusters. They've already proved this myth to be wrong!

16. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

See people do what? Kill with their phones?! :eek: :D

17. bripab007 macrumors 6502

People have been seriously injured by stray bullets falling from the sky, so I would think that, yes, an iPhone to the head at somewhere north of 60MPH could probably kill you.

18. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Go check out coin toss episode from mybusters

Yes, phone has larger mass. Lightening can kill you too but it's highly unlikely scenario just like a phone can kill you.

19. RichBrewski macrumors member

Rollercoasters are designed to have nets at any part of the ride where any debris (hats, cell phones, earrings, etc.) flying off would fall safely into a giant net. Had the phone killed somebody, that person would have to have been in a restricted area. Workers are the only people that are allowed back there but they would not have been stupid enough to go back there while a ride is functioning. Neither OP nor the hundreds of thousands of people that carry their cell phone on roller coasters are doing anything wrong.

And in the words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that."

20. WiseDuck macrumors member

WiseDuck

Not sure if the phone can kill anyone, but I'm sure it would hurt like hell. As for bullets, Mythbusters answered that one. Bullets fired straight up won't kill anyone, but bullets fired in an arc retain much of their speed and can easily penetrate a skull, which of course kills.

21. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Not ALL coasters are like that.

22. RichBrewski macrumors member

Every one that doesn't want to be sued does. It's a requirement for all new coasters to be built like that. Sheikra falls under that category.

23. allaboutmusic macrumors member

And we all know that her hips don't lie

24. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

Terminal velocity and air resistance proves otherwise.

25. cypherx82 macrumors newbie

1. It would be a miracle if the phone actually hit someone.
    2. The iPhone would give way before your skull, meaning it would hurt like hell, but probably give you nothing more than a concussion.