iPhone 4 flew off a giant rollercoaster and survived

Nagroe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
I had my iPhone 4 in my pocket when I went on the sheikra at busch gardens. Just in case you're wondering the sheikra is a dive coaster with a 200 foot 90 degree drop that goes 70 miles an hour. After that there are some flips and corkscrews. After the ride was over I realized my iPhone wasn't in my pocket so I got my friend to call it and some guy picked up. When I went and got the phone i saw that it worked perfectly fine(except for the fact that the flash was broken) but the back was completely destroyed. I also lost my case I guess it flew off somehow but I'm
Glad the phone works. I will have pics soon but now I'm on my phone and idk how to attach a photo

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
1. I hate to say "cool story, bro," but, literally, it is.
2. Don't worry, Flash has been broken on all iOS devices since 2007.
3. Glad to know it actually survived. Good luck on a warranty replacement.
4. You can't upload anything from Mobile Safari. Something I've been asking for, more than Flash or many other features. You can't upload a photo, submit a resume, or do anything that has to deal with sending something up to a website, other than something you can type or enter - major issue IMO.

RRmalvado

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
I've been on that rollercoaster a couple of times, always was cautious about riding it with my iPhone but never (knock on wood) had my phone fly off.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
I had my iPhone 4 in my pocket when I went on the sheikra at busch gardens. Just in case you're wondering the sheikra is a dive coaster with a 200 foot 90 degree drop that goes 70 miles an hour. After that there are some flips and corkscrews. After the ride was over I realized my iPhone wasn't in my pocket so I got my friend to call it and some guy picked up. When I went and got the phone i saw that it worked perfectly fine(except for the fact that the flash was broken) but the back was completely destroyed. I also lost my case I guess it flew off somehow but I'm
Glad the phone works. I will have pics soon but now I'm on my phone and idk how to attach a photo
without pictures....this story isnt much.

longhornx

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2007
the phone could have killed someone. how the ******* can u bring the phone with you on a rollercoaster?

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

longhornx said:
the phone could have killed someone. how the ******* can u bring the phone with you on a rollercoaster?
I see people do this all the time.

buc

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
nobody cares about stories like this. We'd much rather hear about the dude who's careless girlfriend dropped his new Iphone 6 millimeters onto 1-inch shag carpeting and it exploded into a thousand pieces so we can discuss how evil Steve Jobs is.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
nobody cares about stories like this. We'd much rather hear about the dude who's careless girlfriend dropped his new Iphone 6 millimeters onto 1-inch shag carpeting and it exploded into a thousand pieces so we can discuss how evil Steve Jobs is.
This made me laugh out loud in the office. Brilliant!

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
I highly doubt the phone could kill someone...
I'm actually willing to bet that it could kill someone. 200 foot drop would do some major damage if it didn't kill you. A penny dropped off the empire state building will kill someone, so why couldn't a phone from 200 feet falling on your head?

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
I'm actually willing to bet that it could kill someone. 200 foot drop would do some major damage if it didn't kill you. A penny dropped off the empire state building will kill someone, so why couldn't a phone from 200 feet falling on your head?

You should watch Mythbusters. They've already proved this myth to be wrong!

japanime

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I see people do this all the time.
See people do what? Kill with their phones?! :eek: :D

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009
People have been seriously injured by stray bullets falling from the sky, so I would think that, yes, an iPhone to the head at somewhere north of 60MPH could probably kill you.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Go check out coin toss episode from mybusters

Yes, phone has larger mass. Lightening can kill you too but it's highly unlikely scenario just like a phone can kill you.

RichBrewski

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
Rollercoasters are designed to have nets at any part of the ride where any debris (hats, cell phones, earrings, etc.) flying off would fall safely into a giant net. Had the phone killed somebody, that person would have to have been in a restricted area. Workers are the only people that are allowed back there but they would not have been stupid enough to go back there while a ride is functioning. Neither OP nor the hundreds of thousands of people that carry their cell phone on roller coasters are doing anything wrong.

And in the words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that."

WiseDuck

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2009
People have been seriously injured by stray bullets falling from the sky, so I would think that, yes, an iPhone to the head at somewhere north of 60MPH could probably kill you.
Not sure if the phone can kill anyone, but I'm sure it would hurt like hell. As for bullets, Mythbusters answered that one. Bullets fired straight up won't kill anyone, but bullets fired in an arc retain much of their speed and can easily penetrate a skull, which of course kills.

grantsdale

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
Rollercoasters are designed to have nets at any part of the ride where any debris (hats, cell phones, earrings, etc.) flying off would fall safely into a giant net. Had the phone killed somebody, that person would have to have been in a restricted area. Workers are the only people that are allowed back there but they would not have been stupid enough to go back there while a ride is functioning. Neither OP nor the hundreds of thousands of people that carry their cell phone on roller coasters are doing anything wrong.

And in the words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that."
Not ALL coasters are like that.

Rithem

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
Terminal velocity and air resistance proves otherwise.

cypherx82

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
New Jersey
1. It would be a miracle if the phone actually hit someone.
2. The iPhone would give way before your skull, meaning it would hurt like hell, but probably give you nothing more than a concussion.