iPhone 4 from Canada - How to get tax back

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brave5213, May 11, 2011.

1. brave5213 macrumors regular

i was in canada last month and i purchased unlocked iphone 4 from apple store, but they charged me tax, is there any way to get that tax back? i'm a NY resident.
    thanks.

2. jflewelling macrumors newbie

This may be a stupid question. Does it work as good as an AT&T Phone?

3. pbateman macrumors 6502

I was thinking of doing the same as I might be going to CA in the near future for work. Too bad the with the USD being so messed up, now the CAD is much higher so makes it even more expensive than getting the phone here.

4. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Out of curiosity, 32gb iphone 4:

Using the apple web page prices and XE converter it is $813 US in Canada plus tax totaling about $927.

Price in Mexico $991 US before tax and about $1150 after tax.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It's the same exact phone except it's not locked to one network.

6. Charadis macrumors 6502a

From bruinsrme's link, the Canada Revenue Agency:

1.1 Has the Visitor Rebate Program been cancelled?

Yes. The Visitor Rebate Program (VRP) was cancelled effective April 1, 2007.

1.2 Will non-resident consumers who purchase goods in Canada and remove them from the country still be able to get a VRP rebate for the GST/HST they paid on the goods if the tax became payable after March 31, 2007?

No. As of April 1, 2007, non-resident consumers who purchase goods in Canada and remove them from the country cannot receive a VRP rebate for the GST/HST they paid on goods if the tax became payable after March 31, 2007.

However, there will still be no GST/HST charged when goods are shipped directly by a Canadian business to a non-resident consumer’s residence.

1.3 Will non-resident businesses, including sole proprietors, that purchase goods in Canada and remove them for commercial use primarily outside Canada be able to get a rebate for GST/HST they paid on the goods if the tax became payable after March 31, 2007?

Yes, non-resident businesses, including sole proprietors, will still be able to get a GST/HST rebate on goods purchased in Canada and removed from the country for commercial use primarily outside Canada, providing all other conditions for the rebate are met. Additional information can be found in the guide RC4033, General Application for GST/HST Rebates.

1.4 Who is a “consumer”?

A consumer is an individual who acquires property (which includes goods) and/or a service for his/her personal use or enjoyment or for the personal use and enjoyment of another individual. See question 3.5 for the definition of “service” and question 3.6 for the definition of “property”.

-C

7. brave5213 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for all answers, now the phone officially cost to me 750.

as wordoflife told, yes it's exactly the same phone just without any carrier lock :)

8. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

16gb then?

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Better, because it's not locked to one network. :rolleyes:

10. pbateman macrumors 6502

So basically $150 more than the US version no commitment option....i'd pay that for an unlocked phone if i had to buy the phone outright. Or is that 750 CAD?