iPhone 4 Going Crazy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Willie5566, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Willie5566 macrumors regular

My phone started acting up this morning. I could not get service so I restarted the phone. Now the phone will only make emergency calls and is telling me that I need to connect to iTunes. It is almost like the phone is new again. Not cool.

I do not have the computer with me that I normally use to connect to iTunes which makes things worse.

Anyone else have this happen? Any suggestions?

2. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Ummm, maybe call your carrier and then call Apple depending on the outcome of that call? I trust you do have access to at least one other phone, somewhere... :rolleyes:

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Why the eye roll? People come here for help. That's what the forum is for. And your carrier isn't going to do a damn thing about this problem. They will refer you to Apple.

OP do you have access to any computer at all? Even if you can't get all of your info back, having an empty phone is better than no phone at all.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You could try

Taking out the sim, and then re-seating it.

5. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Eye roll because some people need prompting to think for themselves for a change. If the carrier is not interested, go to Apple.

6. Willie5566 thread starter macrumors regular

Don't sweat it. That d*ckhead is all over this forum being a pr*ck. The reality is most people here are 10x more knowledgeable than an AT & T rep. Unfortunately d-bag above has nothing of substance to offer so he/she resorts to sarcasm.

Back to my problem (Fanboys can move on at this point because you won't like what I am about to post)-

It has been a loooong day. I spent about 2 hours this morning with AT&T and Apple. I powered off several times and did a system restore. No luck and had to get to work.

This afternoon I stopped by the Apple store and a rep was able to restore it but could not get my phone to connect to AT&T. He instructed me to go to their store and have them look at it. I did. They replaced the sim card and the phone worked long enough to get me out of the store and down the road a bit. I noticed several times over the next hour that my phone had no service. Now poor reception is nothing new but I do not get "No Service" very often. Finally I needed to make a call so I restarted the phone to try to get service back and I am now back to square one with the phone prompting me to connect to iTunes. :mad:

Thanks to my visit to Apple today I learned that my phone is 52 days past the warranty period. So my only option is to pay $199 for a replacement. I realize how warranties work but I can't help but feel f'd over when the phone is malfunctioning to no fault of my own. iPhone 4 to ME has been a failure. I experience the antennae issues, constant problems with the proximity sensor, screen freezing up and now this.

I know there will be plenty on here that want to rush to Apple's defense but you are not where I am sitting. Do not get me wrong I LOVE apple. I have both iPads, MBP, iTouch, multiple iPhones, 2 Ipods, etc. Apple has always provided dependable products but this phone has not lived up to there standards. My 3g iPhone still works as an iTouch for my 7 and 9 year old but my iPhone 4 is shot after 13 months. Hell my iPod mini is still in operation.

So here I am with a dead iPhone 4. What do I do? My plan was to get the next gen iPhone when it came out. Makes it tough to swallow $199 for a replacement phone when the next phone should be out in the next 30-45 days.

I may have to get by with my work Droid for the time being. :(

What would you guys do? Thanks for reading my rant.

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Since you have a spare phone, wait it out as the next iPhone should be out in a month or two.

8. SR71 macrumors 68000

Sell your iPhone 4 on Craigslist. Even if it's broken you can still get anywhere between $200 - $300 for it and that would pay for a new phone for you.

9. Willie5566 thread starter macrumors regular

Really? That much? I suppose it would have to be someone that knows how to fix them.

10. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

If its the GSM iPhone, you can unlock it and get a lot more money for it as long as you get it fixed. Good luck dude.:apple:

11. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

To get the $199 replacement iPhone from Apple, he'll have to give them his broken iPhone. Nice try though...

But seriously, my sympathies for the ordeal the OP has been through. I considered getting AapleCare for just this situate, but decided to gamble without it and pay the $199 if anything ever went wrong with mine, since it's out of it's warranty period too. Since we are so close to the release of the iPhone 5 and you seemed to imply you had access to another cell phone, I would struggle along with just it.

But, along the lines of the other poster, if you can't live without an iPhone like me, you could pay the $199 for the replacement from Apple, and since it won't effect your upgrade status, sell that one when the new iPhone 5 comes out. You'll easily get the $199 back.

12. Willie5566 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea Applecare is always a difficult decision for me. I usually update with each release so I just skip it. I would have been fine had the release been in June like normal.

I get sick to my stomach when I think of going back to the 3g. I know it is most likely only for a month or two. I just know that a lot of the apps do not work on the 3g anymore. :( You bring up a good point that I did not think about. So the replacement phone would not re-new my contract? I am pretty sure $199 is a discount over the sug. retail price. If that is true, then I might do the $199 and fetch a good price for the iPhone 4 with only 6 weeks of use and no contract. Hmmm....

13. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Yup, the full price of the iPhone 4 is $600, depending on your memory size. The $199 replacement phone is if you give Apple the broken one, not your carrier who sets the upgrade eligibility. I'm not sure of how long the warrant is for a replacement phone, but if it's only a few weeks old and some length warrant, you should be able to sell it for more than the upgrade to get the iPhone 5.

14. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Since Replacing The Sim

Worked temporarily, I'm guessing this is a fault inside the carrier not making contact with the sim contacts correctly.

If I was in your position, I'd kick this upstairs at Apple.....Its not acceptable, and a senior apple rep should help you out.

My contacts are all imac and laptop related, but phone apple, be polite, and ask to speak to a senior member of staff.

In the meantime, I will contact my apple friends to see if I can get you a other contact.

DON'T drop this.....it's not right.

15. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Yup...Easily that much! I've seen many broken iPhone 4's with smashed screens, backs torn off, etc sell for $200+. Even phones that are scratched up, chipped glass, etc, but WORKING, sell for $350-$450. Close to mint going for $500-$550.

----------

And they sell QUICK!

16. iFiend macrumors 65816

Man I am so glad that I am not the only one who has had a ridiculously unneeded encounter with this guy...

As for your rant, I have to ask, if you had such problems with the iPhone 4, why did you keep it at all? And unlike twitt3r I am not trying to be a dick, I am asking honestly.

17. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Flattery will get you nowhere. He kept it because he's an Apple fanboy who will happily use faulty products just because of a brand name.

18. iFiend macrumors 65816

What does that even mean? Your flawed logic (see the AT&T text changing thread) and senseless comments (see quote above, et al) show your stupidity.

Please, go back under the rock from which you came.

19. twitt3r macrumors 6502

If you have to ask, I really wouldn't go around calling people stupid - just makes you look even more stupid than you evidently are.

20. iFiend macrumors 65816

That's all you got?

I know what it means, I want you to explain why it is valid in this conversation. If you noticed I addressed him, not you.

Now, if I specifically called you a petulant child, or the immature troll that you are, then it would be a valid comment, since I would have been talking to you.

See the difference?

21. twitt3r macrumors 6502

You quite clearly referenced me in your statement about not being a dick, then used the term your stupidity, so both aimed directly at me, but as you seem to suffer from dementia, I'll forgive you.

22. iFiend macrumors 65816

I am officially done trying to explain simple concepts to you. Why does MR not have an "ignore user" function?

Good luck to you my friend. Your trollish ways will only further the time you need to spend in your mommy's basement. I'm done :cool:

23. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Haha, you call me out yet you have no idea how to use the ignore feature?! LMFAO!

Ahhhh, the old "mommy" word comes out eh? Shows how old and insecure you must be.

24. iFiend macrumors 65816

Sorry I don't know all the ins and outs of MR. I don't spend all my free time on here. Again, you win at all internets, you're the coolest :rolleyes:

I am very pleased, however, that such a feature exists.

And I am 100% certain that I am far older and wiser than you my friend.

Good luck to you.

25. twitt3r macrumors 6502

I know, no need to go telling everybody the obvious.