iPhone 4 Home Button Tempremental...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jamied95, Aug 29, 2010.

1. jamied95 macrumors 6502

Hi Guys,
    Sometimes I can click the homebutton and it does nothing, and it often takes 5 or 6 attempts before it actually works, an example of this is when I'm checking for notifications and I click the home buttons, and the screen stays blanks, or when I'm trying to double click on the lock screen for music controls or closing apps...

It's quite annoying, but knowing my luck, I could take it to an Apple Store and it would work fine, just like 5% of the time it just doesn't work quite right... what can I do?

2. shandyman Suspended

have you got the original cover on the screen or any screen protectors? as they might be covering the home button so you aren't actually pressing the button.

3. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

Same thing happens to me with no screen protector.

4. Amino Man macrumors 6502

This has happened to me a couple of times, but I checked my home button and I don't think it's a hardware problem. I think the software has a difficulty sometimes.

I was trying to figure out how exactly I pressed my home button when it didn't work. So I pressed it many different ways and it worked every time. It's probably a software glitch.

5. jamied95 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, it's completely naked... it's weird though, only started in the last couple of days, and nothing's changed in that time :/

6. BUFFBOY macrumors regular

7. LSUMaze macrumors newbie

I had similar problems, and sometimes one click used to open the multitasking dock. So I called apple care and the made an appointment for me at the Genius Bar; when i went there I told them about the issues and the fact that I can't replicate them but they just happen a lot. So the Genius guy said don't worry we'll give you a new one, cause it might be hardware related. That was like 10 days ago.
    The issue with double clicking the locked screen for music controls persists, 10 to 15 % of the time, but everything else is normal. So that might be software related.

8. jamied95 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm, interesting, my nearest Apple Store is like 90 minutes away, at Meadowhall, which I can't be bothered with... is there any other way? I suppose it's fine, just a bit annoying...

I have the 16GB, if I did get it replaced could I get the 32GB as the replacement?

9. theone09 macrumors regular

10. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

My first one was like that I took it to the Apple Store and they replaced it. It drove me nuts.

11. jrodsep macrumors 6502

jrodsep

I'm having the same problem with mine. But my case has a few problems. First I live in Puerto Rico and we don't have an Apple Store. Second I bought my phone at Radio Shack and my 30 days are up. Third I have to go to a specific AT&T that does the Apple Warranty but they are soooo difficult to do business with. So I'm heading up to the store on Wednesday to see if they will give me a replacement.

12. MacJones macrumors 6502

Same here! With all the issues I've been having with this phone I think I'm getting an Android device next.

13. Amino Man macrumors 6502

Is it fixed now?

14. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Your best bet is to take it to a genius at an Apple Store, it sounds like a hardware related issue.

15. calvinc macrumors member

Mine doesn't work too well if I press a bit off center. Is that normal?

16. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Yes, that's normal.

17. calvinc macrumors member

I guess that's why Apple made it concave? So users can feel the center rather than pressing the sides?

18. doboy macrumors 68000

Is the device jailbroken? I notice some issues with home button after jailbreaking and installing Activator. It seems the latest Activator update is causing issues on my iPhone 4.

19. theone09 macrumors regular

No, it's not jailbroken.. i believe it's not the software issue since i restored my iphone but still get the same issue. I will go back to apple store this weekend

20. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502

My launch day iphone had this problem I took it back early to an apple genius enough to get a new replacement not a refurb.

21. dgstan macrumors 6502a

No. They will give you exactly the same model when performing a warranty exchange.

22. jm5309 macrumors regular

Ah, this has happened to me a few times and it's really irritating. My husband has not not had this issue with his phone. I'm wondering if I should get mine replaced. I don't live close to an Apple store, only AT&T, and it was draining to even order the phones there. I like my phone so much, I find myself trying to ignore the obvious imperfections with it and also AT&T's network.

23. jamied95 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, mines a launch day one! Problem is, I'm ages away from an Apple Store, can I get it sorted over the phone?

Also, my phone only has 500MB (8GB of photos=1000 somehow...) free, could that be an issue? That's also why I want to get the 32GB :(

My problem is I just feel a bit like a pest, seen as others are having the problem, but I want to get it fixed! Because, if I sent it back to them/took it to a Store, it would probably work flawlessly! As I said it's only 5% of the time :( it happened again this morning, and i put it down on the table and pressed it exactly down in the middle, still took a couple of times :(

Edit: Right, decided I will call Applecare in the morning, see how it goes!

24. -MRB macrumors 6502

My home button has started to become unresponsive.

It takes 2-3 taps for it to wake up. It's started to annoy me!

Also have the problem where a single tap will bring up the multitask bar :(

& Yes. It's jailbroken.

25. ATC macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm also getting the intermittent single-tap resulting in the multitask coming up, it's very annoying. It happens maybe 10 times a day, probably won't be able to reproduce it at the apple store. Hope apple does away with the push-button and replace it with a touch button in the next iPhone.