iPhone 4 / iOS4 - Restore or start fresh?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by a3silver, Jun 20, 2010.

1. a3silver macrumors member

Thinking ahead, and curious what others plan to do..

I upgraded my 3G 16gb to iOS4 (Gold Master candidate) about a week ago. That upgrade required a clean install, and I restored from my last backup. Unfortunately, even the core OS apps (iPod, Phone, Mail, etc.) run very slowly...

Of course, this is essentially the final developer preview, not necessarily the final version released tomorrow, and no one has any great hopes of iOS4 working all that well on the 3G anyway.. That said, I can't help but think the core slowness is from some of the bloat inherent to all the current apps + the apps long deleted. Perhaps there are some of the SQL lite tables retained, etc. etc.

I'm in the mind that I will not 'restore' when I get the iPhone 4 this week, but start with a clean slate..

Thoughts??

2. AbjectEvolution macrumors 6502

I have tons of saved games that I don't want to lose. I'll be able to transfer my saved data, notes, photos etc over to my iPhone 4 right? Even if I don't upgrade to iOS4 on Monday?

3. jimbean9 macrumors member

im gonna start fresh anyone know a free program to convert saved backups to photo's apps etc?

4. a3silver thread starter macrumors member

I would certainly assume so, those all come over with the restore. I have the same concerns, but curious what other's think..

5. flipm725 macrumors regular

I'd start fresh if I could somehow keep my text messages

6. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

I'm starting fresh... I feel that this is the best way to avoid any potential problems. And if any do creep up, I can isolate the issues easier.

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I'm starting fresh. The only things I'll lose are some game high scores and two years of text messages. It's not like I'm ever going to go through those messages again. I don't get why anyone would want to keep them.

8. AbjectEvolution macrumors 6502

I am a huge gamer on my iPhone... I have 2.5 pages of games and some I have put a ton of time into. I have also been writing notes for the past year and some of them are important. I wish Apple would sync up app data like saved games and other things like notes. I would love to start fresh.

9. hipvamore macrumors regular

I already have IOS4 installed and all my notes and such transferred.

10. camarobh macrumors 6502

Restoring

I plan to restore. I have never had an issue with restoring. If it does cause an issue I can always start fresh later.

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Notes syncs with Mail.app.

12. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I had similar thoughts yesterday. The vast majority of my text conversations are business related and it would be nice to have those.

But I think I'll start fresh :)

13. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

I have been pondering this over and over and over and over since about two weeks ago

14. mikey2004 macrumors regular

mikey2004

If I start fresh will my contacts be transferred onto iphone 4?

15. chrisperra macrumors member

chrisperra

I'm starting from scratch, and syncing contacts via MobileMe

16. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

supposedly.

I'd back up my contacts to an entirely separate file regardless.

If it doesn't show up then I'd do a regular sync.

I've had itunes blow my contacts out of the water, phone and outlook, before :mad:

17. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

18. Zinger314 macrumors member

Zinger314

I'd start fresh, especially since a lot of my information syncs with my computer.

19. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Those advocating 'restore from backup' on brand new hardware are wrong and nuts.

20. Sebby macrumors 6502a

I'm going to restore but then do a settings reset.

21. camarobh macrumors 6502

Just because you don't agree does not mean I am "wrong and nuts". I have restored at each hardware upgrade, this being my fourth. I have never had any issues On the off chance there are any issues, it is very easy to start fresh later.

22. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

I have always restored from a backup when upgrading to the new iPhones. I started with a 2g in 2007, then 3G in 08, 3GS in 09. I sold my 3GS for the iPhone 4, but still have my 3G and 2G phones.

I reverted back to my 3G and installed iOS4 onto it, and it is PAINFULLY SLOW after i restored from backup. Beforehand, everything seemed fine... Something tells me it's probably a good idea to start fresh for once.

This is really a pain for me, though, because I've got text messages dating back to 2007 that I would love to be able to keep... Oh well, it's not worth having a slower that necessary phone.

23. a3silver thread starter macrumors member

Yep, if you're keeping your 3G either don't bother with iOS4 or start fresh with it, it's almost unusable if the Gold Master is any indication of tomorrow's release.

24. jcharm macrumors newbie

So it's possible to start fresh and not lose notes and contacts?

25. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

Not sure how you've done it before but I sync notes and contacts with Outlook (so all that stuff is in there right now just waiting to be synced back).

The text conversations were the only item making me think of setting up from backup.