Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fast Shadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2004
Hollywood, CA
As an iPad owner I'd be pretty annoyed if my new iPhone were faster than my 2 month old iPad.

Though I already am annoyed that the iPhone has twice the RAM, considering a lack of RAM is the major shortfall of the iPad.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
Good. I don't want the iPhone 4 to be anywhere near the iPad in terms of performance. I'm owning both, so it's not "I want what I have to be better" or anything, but it just wouldn't be cool if the iPhone was literally a faster performer than iPad. iPad still needs to be the object of lust it was on the day it came out. That's gotta be top dog for at least a year.

(Yes, I realize how ridiculous all of this crap I post sounds, but I'm just venting. It's funny to me. ....so I post it anyway. And yes, there is some truth to it.)

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Antenna effectiveness depends almost entirely on wavelength, frequency, and amplitude as well as the antenna shape - not necessarily size. Ie, a smaller antenna, such as 1/4th that of the actually wavelength, would work much better than that of one that was larger and 3/4 that of the actual wavelength.

Have you noticed that on luxury cars the antenna length changes based on the frequency you are tuned into?

Not to get into an argument that Im hardly qualified for, but bigger isn't necessarily better the way I understand it from college

All that to say - Im hardly educated on what Im talking about (it's obvious isn't it) but I think at least one of the points of putting it on the outside was to make it external vs internal, thus less interference... THAT and to call it a "feature" ...hah!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antenna_(radio)

What he said. Though, I imagine they probably calculated the size of the bezel antennas to work properly with the specific frequencies - the "bars" bug sounds like a display bug, and I'm still psyched about the phone, and think it probably will have better reception.

Deadman64

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
What he said. Though, I imagine they probably calculated the size of the bezel antennas to work properly with the specific frequencies - the "bars" bug sounds like a display bug, and I'm still psyched about the phone, and think it probably will have better reception.

Antenna size is directly related to operating frequency. On low frequencies, specific chunks of a plane are used as an antenna because the antenna needs to be so big.

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
If they wanted more battery the shouldn't have made unnecessarilly thin. Style instead of performance. Typical Jobs.

...do you have a new iPhone and have you conducted battery tests? Geez, only a few have it and folks are bashing its performance and Jobs!!

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
As an iPad owner I'd be pretty annoyed if my new iPhone were faster than my 2 month old iPad.

Though I already am annoyed that the iPhone has twice the RAM, considering a lack of RAM is the major shortfall of the iPad.

And you REALLY noticed that your iPad has less RAM, or are you saying it now that it has been confirmed? My iPad is very fast and I really don't think twice the RAM on it would make a noticeable difference (that may change when the OS is updated on it for multi-tasking)....Until they announced the RAM difference, I did not read one complaint about the RAM or performance....

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Antenna size is directly related to operating frequency. On low frequencies, specific chunks of a plane are used as an antenna because the antenna needs to be so big.

Correct. What I mean is, I imagine they portioned the design of the bezel antennas to be an efficient fraction of those frequencies.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China

Exactly.

Low frequency = long wavelength = big ass antennae

But not the catch all that "Bigger is better" as the other comments were suggesting.

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
Got troll?

You sound like my 4 y/o when she doesn't get her way. Do you really think any of us or apple for that matter care if you move onto samsung? Hit the road lil doggie, don't let the door hit your little wagging tail on the way out!
No one cares if you were 2nd, 2nd is the first loser.

Just because somebody talks about other phones than the iPhone does not make them a troll. I think that there needs to be more discussion of other phones on this Mac Rumors Forum. The iPhone, iPod TOuch & iPad aren't much more of a Mac discussion product than someone else's phone or tablet.

Maybe the trolls here at Mac Rumors are the non Mac using iPhone iPad users. Would that then make you the troll? Go Mac????

RaZaK

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
artificially slow CPU

maybe Apple is intentionally lowering the CPU speed of the iPhone to a) increase battery life and b) continue to position iPad as a compelling value proposition in addition to having an iPhone 4

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009

I thought they added the RAM because it was required for the additional camera/video capability in the iPhone 4.

P.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I thought they added the RAM because it was required for the additional camera/video capability in the iPhone 4.

P.

Mere speculation, just as those saying the reason why iMovie will not come out on ipad.

People tend to 'over think' everything.

If benchmarks are proved conclusive that the iPad is the fastest device & iPhone 4 cpu speed is declared 800mhz or less then it undermines what everyone has been speculating on the reason for more memory and the bitching about specs being better than ipad etc......

Either way there will always be unhappy peeps.

absolutmp5

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2004
I hope they made sure that they elimintated any apps running in the background such as mail and phone. They should also run these tests with both units plugged in. The good news is if anyone can find a way to over clock the phone they at least have the cealing to run the arm chip up to 1.0 ghz.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I think my post was kindof misunderstood. What I was trying to say was simply that much of the performance of the A4 soc in the iPhone 4 is consumed from it's extremly high resolution display. And therefore not available to make even more compelling games and demanding augmented reality apps.
No, it's just based on a complete misconception.

The GPU in the iPhone is more than capable of handling the extra resolution without strain. 960x480 is fewer pixels than the iPad and a resolution dedicated GPUs have been handling with ease since the late 90s. The Intel GMA 500 in netbooks and some notebooks, for example, is in fact nearly identical to the GPU in A4 devices and it handles much higher resolutions on a regular basis. It's more powerful than the GMA950 used in MacBooks just a few years ago.

Games can be written to push any GPU pretty hard, but running a 0.5MP 3D game is well within the capabilities of any modern GPU. In short, the idea that the A4 CPU has to pick up any slack from its GPU is incorrect.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
I'm interested to see the speed difference between the new iPhone 4 and all the other iPhone models - how much have things really moved on since the first version came out?

I'll be comparing the iPhone 4 with my original 2G iPhone tomorrow, assuming the Apple store doesn't sell my reserved phone before I get it.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Jup, a few less than iPad but FOUR X as much as 3GS. The concern is that the benchmarks don't measure 4x the performance of 3GS (according to Geekbench screenshots). So in iPhone4 the ratio performance/screen res is far worse than the same ratio in 3GS.

What? The iPhone 4 is driving 4x the pixels yet is 30% faster ... so by your arbitrarily chosen performance/screen res scale it is 5.2x better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.