iPhone 4 - is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Degradable, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Degradable macrumors member

Hi all,

I've been plagued with this decision since the iPhone 4 came out. The question is simple...

Should I buy an iPhone 4, or wait for the update?

I currently have an iPhone 3GS. I've looked on the buying guide and it recommends not buying unless I need to (which I don't) but then says the iPhone 4 white is being released until spring 2011.

Is this the update it's talking about? If so, I'll buy the iPhone 4 white when it's released. Otherwise, when will the 'iPhone 4GS' be released? e.g. the upgraded iPhone 4.

Thanks in advanced.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The iPhone 3GS is still a great phone, and the move to the iPhone 4 isn't necessarily a quantum leap. The display is better of course, and there are some features. But from what you say, you seem to be relatively happy with the 3GS.

No one knows about the updates...

1. Will there be a Verizon phone? Who knows
    2. Will the white iPhone ever be released? Who knows
    3. Following the trend of the past, the next iPhone update would be summer

In my opinion it is not likely to be 4G though

3. Degradable thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply.

Your right, I'm quite happy with the 3GS. Regarding the Verizon phone, I'm from the UK and this doesn't mean a lot to me? I realise Verizon are a phone network?

I think I'll just hold out for the summer then, this 3GS can easily last me until then!

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I loved my 3GS and gave it to my GF when I got the iPhone 4
    There are still some things about the 3GS I really liked... the look and feel of it
    The iPhone 4 is great too though

I do like the better camera, but the front facing camera has had no use
    I like the retina display, but I am not that picky about it

If I were you, I would wait now, cause if you are really happy with your 3GS and get the iPhone 4, you will likely wish you had the iPhone 5 when it comes out

5. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I know plenty of people, whom have purchased an iPhone 4 purely due to the hype, I purchased it as I wanted the LED flash and better display as opposed to my 3GS.

I'll say to you what I say to everyone who contemplates a new phone being an iPhone: Do you need most the features it offers?

I know many people (mainly female) whom have bought an iPhone and all they've used it for is going on facebook. They don't even use the email feature due to hotmail not being offered as standard, bugs me really, they could have done that with any internet capable phone, and donated the other money the wouldn't have spent to charity, that would've been more worthwhile.

6. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

I went from a 3G right to a 4 and the leap was massive, but going from a 3GS ton a 4 wont be too much. The retina display is amazing, the camera does seem brilliant, and the flash is very handy.

But then I can't see the updated iPhone being too much of a change either, the iPhone 4's specs are plenty for iOS and won't need upgrading soon IMO.

7. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Good way of saying it, the 4->Next model, will be about the same jump as 3G->3GS. So not big.

8. Angel baby macrumors member

Angel baby

There is a saying that iphone 5 is coming. We all wanna own all of Apple's new products if money is not a problem.:D

9. Jenko macrumors regular

I have just bought my first iphone ever and it is of course the iphone 4. I have been holding off for months as i was debating was it worth buying. Well my answer is absolutely flipping yes. I am based in Ireland and I wanted to make sure I was signing up with the right network. I did my homework and finally went with the 'Three network'. They offered the iphone 4 for €309 on an 18month contract. I will be paying €40 a month for 350 minutes talk time or 700 minutes text time, with a free add on of 150 minutes for evening and weekend calls which brings it up to 500 minutes. I also get 2gb of data allowance a month. I have also signed up for broadband with them as I got a €6 discount a month for the iphone contract. This plan suits me and I know it might not suit others. As far as is the iphone 4 worth buying now well my answer would be a 100% yes. If it suits your needs go for it, it is an amazing piece of technology. I can keep up to date on important emails, take photos of for work and family with out bringing my SLR camera, sending messages browsing the net even playing games. It is just an amazing all in one gizmo. I am sure the next phone will be better and I will have to wait until the following year to upgrade to the next iphone (probably 6 by then) but why wait? You might be waiting another 6 months before the next upgrade, if you need it now get it if not hang on it all depends on your own your own personal needs. I am happy with my new iphone 4 and wish I had purchased it earlier. It just works as for the whole antenna thing what a load of rubbish. I have not had any issues, in fact in areas where I live that are known to be mobile reception black spots my iphone 4 just works no problems. I use a protection cover on the phone and bumper as I want to protect it from damage. It works so just get it and enjoy.

10. brandon.8602 macrumors member

I don't think it's worth your money...
    The main benefits:
    Better camera (with flash)
    Retina display (which, I won't lie, looks much more crisp)
    Slimmer profile/shape
    Facetime/front face camera

How much these matter to you should basically determine if you should buy it or not. BUT if you bought your 3GS awhile ago and you're eligible for a $200 upgrade instead of the full price, you should factor that in. To find out if you're eligible google the number to call on you're 3GS and AT&T will send you a text with you're early upgrade eligibility status.

11. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

If you don't know if you want it - don't buy it.

12. hudsonCrossing macrumors member

Im sitting on the same fence...itching, twisting in the air have to make the same decision within the next few days.

13. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

For me it was a great for me to upgrade just because OMG the GPS is sooo much more accurate and holds the signal than the 3gs (which it kept losing)- I use my tomtom app to commute since I have traffic updates that tell me if there is a delay. Also, the battery life is wayyyyy better. I can literally go to work and send out text and surf here and there an have 75% of my battery left. And the camera, oh glorious camera... so you can picture those precious and important moments. That alone is priceless. Those three alone are what make the i4 a worthy upgrade to the 3gs that make the money is worth it.

PS OH I love the flash not for the pics, but for using as an emergency light LOL I always use mine at least a few times a week to look for stuff or make my way in the dark :)

14. AppleLove88 macrumors newbie

AppleLove88

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

I got my iPhone 4 almost two months ago. It's my first iPhone and I love it. The FaceTime is great since I'm in a long distance relationship, and I don't want to always carry my Mac around the house with me to see my boyfriend. The picture quality is excellent. And I haven't had any dropped calls yet. I had originally planned on just buying the 3GS, but I ended up looking around at the iPhone 4 on the Apple website. They sold me, and I am very happy with my decision. :)

15. joefreelee macrumors newbie

I love it

I seriously love my iphone 4. Can't go wrong with it!

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Funny, you say its not worth it, but then quote the benefits that well I think make it worth it.

Don't discount the camera, I have a droid x which I like but initially reviews commented on how great the camera is. Well its not, the pictures are grainy the controls are not intuitive. Having an easy to use camera that takes good pictures is a good benefit.

I think any of those benefits you mention are reasons why the IP4 is a good decision.

17. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I've had my iPhone 4 since release day, and love the phone. That said, I just turned over my 3GS to my daughter, and as I used it again, it reminded me that the 3GS was also a great phone.

For me, I know that the iPhone 5 will be an incremental improvement on the iPhone 4 and should be available in June/July 2011. Every iPhone has been better than the previous one, and I would expect the iPhone 5 to continue that pattern.

If I were in your shoes, with a 3GS that I was happy with, I would hold off and get the iPhone 5 when it comes out.

That said if you can't wait, then the iPhone 4 is a great choice. As other people have said, the retina screen, dual cameras, etc, are all great improvements.

Bottom line it is up to you, but I would wait for the iPhone 5...

18. xxqwerty25 macrumors newbie

Spring upgrade. Will it bring sth else then new color? If not I am probably going to buy ip4 tomorrow.

19. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

There are always incremental changes from one version to another. Sometimes they improve the camera, sometimes they improve performance or storage capacity. Other times they add completely new features like the front facing camera or retina display.

No one knows for sure though until we get closer to release time. I'm sure they will have more changes than the color, but what they will be or how much they will mean to you is impossible to say. For me every version has brought something that was better then the one before.

My thought is that with the increased competition from the Android phones, Apple will probable ramp up the new features as new phones are released...

20. mactancoc macrumors newbie

It surely worth it for now but I read in one article yesterday that iPad and iPhone will not last very long because IBM is forecasting a mobile hologram come 2015. What do you think?

21. MacSignal macrumors regular

That's a good test. There will always be newer and improved phones, computers. etc.. If you're not sure the upgrade is worth the trouble and the cost, I think it is better to wait on another revision and enjoy what you have.

22. junker macrumors 6502

junker

My two cents:

My upgrade process: 1st gen -> 3GS -> iPhone 4

I was apprehensive to upgrade because I thought the new one would be coming out soon and that the step up from 3GS wouldn't be significant... Here's my impressions thus far:

1. I really enjoy the Retina Display (I gave my 3GS to my wife and comparing the two reveals a truly astounding difference in clarity;
    2. The flash is a really great addition - constantly use it as a flashlight as well;
    3. I do Face time occasionally;
    4. Seem to get better reception in my house as compared to the 3GS;
    5. It seems a bit "snappier" in browsing photos (probably because of the 512 RAM as opposed to 256 in 3GS)...although I do notice a 2-4 second (temporary) freeze when I first open up the Photos App (I've got about 4000 pics)

I thought I was going to miss the curved form factor of the 3GS, but I actually don't. I now prefer the squared sides. I also use an otter box and though it hides the inherent sexiness, I am a klutz - early on, it fell face down, out of my truck, onto a curb edge (would've totally shattered it) had I not had the otter box....so thankful that I chose function over form! :)

I strip her down every so often to gaze at her nakkid beauty as I clean her...yeah ok, so I'm a bit perverted too! (Times are tight, so I gotta find my cheap entertainment somewhere!)
    :)

And, to top it all off, I think the price is right....

Good luck!

23. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I am in the same exact situation as you and I can't decide if I want to upgrade or not (I even have an available upgrade on my line!)

I figured I'll just keep my 3GS. First I should say that I got a replacement 3GS a few months back so it has a new battery and stuff like that, so I still have a good battery and its in phenomenal condition. No cracks on the back (like my old one) and no scratches on the screen (I have a screen protector now) and it runs iOS very smoothly. I think it will easily last me until the next update. I don't have any issues with my phone either. And I can't comment about the retina display since I haven't used one for more than 2 minutes. I don't need better reception because I always have 5 bars. I think the 3GS is fine with me for now. The 3GS is still pretty good and usable.

24. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

hate to be all non-apple, but why not look into google android?
    just look into it, compare it to the iPhone, see which you like better, etc. i mean it wont hurt you.. go to the store and try both out!

i have neither so i am not favoring both... and since im nice, also try out the new Windows Phone 7 (or whatever its called)...

25. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I would wait. If this was still August, I probably would suggest to go for it. iPhone 4GS or whatever is within the next 6 to 7 months. Android phones between February and around June will probably be a good alternative phone.