iPhone 4 is middle aged

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NewGenAdam, Dec 29, 2010.

1. NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

that is, iPhone 4 is 6 months old and in another 6 months its successor will usurp it. I have to say I can't believe I've had mine for 6 months. After that long I usually notice the problems and irritations of a device, but the iPhone 4 hasn't aged.

Neither is it showing the wear of a lot of use, nor does it seem worse by comparison to newer technology. I may later regret claiming this, but the form factor is timeless. Until the base materials are altered from glass and steel, perhaps to carbon fiber, I can imagine only subtle refinements to the design.

I wonder if another company can challenge Apple's superb hardware and software in the next 6 months. After that, I wonder how Apple will develop the iPhone.

2. NancyZ macrumors member

I dont see the iPhone5 in 6 months. I think the iPhone 4 would have a longer span than the 3gs. Apple states 110 Million iPhone 4's to be produced for 2011. That is much higher production than the 3gs (correct me if I am wrong.)

I think there is another solid year to year and half before announcement of the successor.

Mark

3. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

I agree. Mine has been naked since day one. Only cosmetic wear on the back due to surfaces but all in all great condition. My only regret is not getting the 32GB. I never imagined we would have games that would take up a gig of space right now! While I believe iPhone 5 is due in the summer, I hope Apple takes time to make an even better iPhone and ride out the 4 for at least another year.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't know if they'll bring out the iPhone 5 in June. They should if they keep to their own schedule, but NancyZ is right, with the production announcement it is hard to say whether they've decided to keep this one around for a bit. Who knows really.

All I know is that I am middle aged and I work pretty well still.

5. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

I don't know where you got that number, but whenever Apple talks iPhone numbers, they never give a model. It is always just 'iPhone'. Remember - you can still buy the 3GS right now. There will be a new iPhone in June/July. There is no question about this.

6. NewGenAdam thread starter macrumors 6502

Although I think a break with tradition would be unlikely, I agree it's possible. I see iPhone 4 as the mobile equivalent to Leopard; it's developed enough that they can leave it and work elsewhere.

I think the next few years will see more dramatic OS X (Lion, obviously) and iPad developments

7. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Hell I love my iPhone 4 so much I would just be happy with iOS 5 right now!

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

They'll have to make an update by June. I don't think there's any way Apple would let the competitors have a year and a half of grace time. The form factor will probably be the same as the 4, with the insides upgraded a little.

Please retain the steel and glass though. Carbon fiber would be :mad::rolleyes::confused:

9. Surely Guest

Surely

Lolz :p

I think that the iP4 will take the 3GS' place once the iP5 is announced this summer. I can't see Apple breaking their iPhone cycle, and if they do, they may have some nervous investors on their hands. Plus, why would they want to give competition a chance to catch up?

It is very possible that the iP5 will simply be a speed bump, much like the 3GS was to the 3G.

10. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

I think we'll see an iPhone 4s in June/July with marginal performance improvements - similar to 3G to 3Gs.

11. NewGenAdam thread starter macrumors 6502

Makes sense. Incremental spec upgrade, maybe an unexpected "feature" to attract the press and do very little. Like FaceTime again.

Carbon fiber would be light and versatile :D but I don't see it for next summer. I think if carbon fiber comes it will herald a move on from this generation of glass and steel. White plastic progressed to glass and steel. I wonder if the next progression will be to carbon fiber.

12. asr10 user macrumors regular

I need a 64gb version. My 32gb only has 2gb free. And I dont even have Rage or Inifinity blade yet. Its all apps, no music no movies. 64gb please!

13. milamber macrumors regular

I think that iPhone 5 will just be quite an incremental upgrade.

I somehow can't see carbon fiber on phones. I find them to be quite tacky if I'm being honest and also I feel that weight can be a good thing when the package is small and solid. Adds a premium feel to it!

I think the iPad will follow a similar upgrade path like the iPhone. First gen could have had a lot more features and 2nd gen will be like the 3G iPhone of the iPad.

14. NewGenAdam thread starter macrumors 6502

Hm, fair point. But I can definitely see carbon fiber for larger portable devices such as MacBooks and iPads. Maybe this would coerce the iPhone into following suit.

I'd agree, but I can't think of many features that a new iPad could bring. Call me unimaginative.

15. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

You may see a bump in speed. Or maybe a different offering, like the 16GB going for $99, then 32GB for $199, then a 64GB option on the high end; maybe. Then probably an iOS update with more features.

If AT&T remains the exclusive carrier, and no Verizon option, then I'd see the following June [2012] with a new phone, and support for LTE/4G, or whatever AT&T calls it...

16. thetexan macrumors 6502a

AT&T's 3G network is still pathetic. I can't see AT&T having a strong 4G network in one year. If we're lucky they will have a "test market" or two online.

17. snowleopard13 macrumors regular

what is a sure thing: we will see a speed bump ála 3G to 3GS.

additionally i think it will have a better camera (8MP) also capable of 1080p recording.

then they will (or have to) fix the bezel (antenna gate).

last but not least i HOPE they'll upgrade the flash storage to 32/64GB. it's just a necessity and the only problem they had with it at the iPhone 4 was the lack of space, because 64GB means (or meant, maybe they have developed something in the meantime) 2x32GB chips, so double the space requirement than with a 32GB model. what was no problem with the iPod Touch is a big problem with the iPhone with all its additional hardware inside.

18. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

AT&T's 4g network rollout should be much better than their 3G because they have more spectrum available for the rollout (700mhz). With their 3G they had to take some of their spectrum that was used for edge (850mhz and 1900mhz) and reallocate it for 3G, and in some markets they don't have enough to do it.

19. tirk macrumors 6502

tirk

You are not alone. Support for SDXC is one of the things that may tempt me "elsewhere" :eek:

20. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

From what I know, Apple isn't ready to call it "iPhone 5"
    There will be a new iPhone next June with some few improved specs and new features, such as improved cameras, black for the 16GB model and black or white for the 32/64GB model.

Most likely, Apple might name it iPhone 4-something, 4S perhaps?

21. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

I would think they will move the insides a bit. It will not be an iPhone 5.......I see the pattern of 3g....3gs.....4.....4S (or something to that nature...4G perhaps?)

Definitely os tweaks......nothing crazy.

I see them incorporating iChat to IOS5.....

22. Russiaone macrumors 6502

I'm a fan of a speed bump... AND 64 gigs of storage space. 32 gigs is NOTHING!

23. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Why does everyone think we'll be getting an iPhone 5 this summer? Look how long it took Apple to go from the iPhone 3 to the iPhone 4.

Any updates coming in June/July will be point upgrades. That does not warrant going from iPhone 4 to iPhone 5. Apple doesn't change the base number every year.

iOS5, maybe. Not iPhone 5.

24. RenoG macrumors 65816

This as well as what many others have said. Same phone with a bump in ios.
    They may even deal with the antenna but thats it.

25. Chuchichan macrumors 6502

The iPhone 5 is coming. Most likely this summer. The white iPhone (aka iPhone 5) has been put on hold, but it will reappear this summer with an official new name.