Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

01jamcon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
London
This is a very subjective issue, but has anyone else noticed that their typing on an iPhone is worse than on an older model? Either that or the auto-correction corrects words differently?

It still doesn't learn loads of commonly typed words, e.g it keeps changing "aww" to "awe" even though I've cancelled awe loads of times.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
This is a very subjective issue, but has anyone else noticed that their typing on an iPhone is worse than on an older model? Either that or the auto-correction corrects words differently?

It still doesn't learn loads of commonly typed words, e.g it keeps changing "aww" to "awe" even though I've cancelled awe loads of times.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that iOS4 has a user changeable dictionary that you can change directly. I don't remember how or where, or even where I heard it but it rings a bell.

01jamcon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
London
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that iOS4 has a user changeable dictionary that you can change directly. I don't remember how or where, or even where I heard it but it rings a bell.

Yes and no. Its only available if you add a second keyboard language such as one of the japanese ones, then yes you can add words in the dictionary. But I don't really want to shorten my 123 keys just to add the international symbol. Actually, that gives me an idea, maybe I can add a word to the dictionary then change the keyboard settings back to normal.

Edit: no that doesn't really work.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
I notice that I miss the space key more often on iPhone 4 than my previous iPhones.

OP, you should try resetting the dictionary.

01jamcon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
London
I notice that I miss the space key more often on iPhone 4 than my previous iPhones.

OP, you should try resetting the dictionary.

YES!
I do seem to mistype more on the four than I did on the 3G, but only in portrait mode, landscape is fine

Glad to see I'm not the only one. Maybe its to do with the new shape and how you hold it in your hands?

doboy, yer I'll try resetting the keyboard, not sure how it'll help though.

SL4VE

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
you will return... i had a 3G and got a desire for 3 months and it was the happiest day of my life when i sold it and got a 4. couldnt type on android to save my life

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
you will return... i had a 3G and got a desire for 3 months and it was the happiest day of my life when i sold it and got a 4. couldnt type on android to save my life

Who will return? If you mean me, i wont be returning it. Obviously the Desire dont have swype.

gmikesell

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
I definitely have typing issues in the iphone 4

Especially have issues with the space bar. I keep hitting the "n" key. I have to slow down when I type. It's annoying as all get out but I don't find myself missing the 3GS. I think the retina display makes up for it. I wish Apple would get back to a bigger screen and stop already with trying to see how small they can make things.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I just want to know who this Judy person is. My iP4 always corrects "just" to "Judy." :mad:

come on! you must know this Judy person! Must likely you should check the contacts app on your iPhone and you will find the answer to our autocorrection problem (a contact named Judy) and thus make it just ;)

Also OP I'm intrigued, why you 'awwing' so much?

Marley

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
Yea I noticed that I mistype a lot more than i did on my 3G. Most often it's when I'm trying to hit the spacebar--I'll accidentally hit N or the return button instead.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
For some reason i hit return instead of the space bar much more often than i did on my previous three iPhones.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
I can't hit the space bar for the life of me. I end up hitting B, N or C depending on what finger I use.

Really annoying and I haven't had this problem with any of the other iphone models and I have owned them all.

makefunnyfaces

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2010
West Virginia
come on! you must know this Judy person! Must likely you should check the contacts app on your iPhone and you will find the answer to our autocorrection problem (a contact named Judy) and thus make it just ;)

Also OP I'm intrigued, why you 'awwing' so much?

Haha, nope. I don't know a single Judy.

Amino Man

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Remember: The iPhone 4 is skinnier than all the previous iPhones. Your fingers are closer together now when holding it with 2 hands.

Also, I'm pretty sure they changed the way the auto-correct is in iOS4. It seems to be a little more picky with correcting incorrect words.

jamied95

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
I think it's because the phone doesn't fit as comfortably in the hand, and so it's harder to type...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.