Iphone 4 logo flickering, phone stuck at activation screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sadbrownguy, Jul 6, 2012.

1. sadbrownguy macrumors newbie

I was on the road today and enjoying a bag of Hersey Kisses. When I reached my stop I thoughtlessly put my Iphone into a pocket full of kisses. The heat melted the chocolate and engulfed my iphone, it even went into the audio plug jack.

Being the genius I am, I decided to lick and wash my phone until the chocolate was gone. I then turned my phone on and the audio volume notification displayed on the screen for some time without me pressing any buttons (It raised to max and stayed there). Then, the phone turned off.

Because my power button is broken, I connected my phone to an adapter attached on the wall. The iphone logo started flickering about ever 3 seconds and then randomly goes to my lock screen and gives me an "Activication required" notification.

Trying to prevent the situation from getting worse, I followed through with the process until I got a "connect to Itunes" notification. So I took my iphone out of the wall dock, and then my iphone went blank. Then I connected my phone to my laptop but my phone refused to perform any action (It still turns on after awhile using my wall dock).

So there's my dilemma. Whenever I try to turn on my iphone, I get flickering Iphone logos. If im lucky enough, I get the "Activiation required" lock screen. To which I cant follow through because my iphone wont turn on when connected to my laptop.

Any suggestions?

Please help me before I fry it in the microwave for 200 hits on Utube. :(

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its called death by chocolate:D
    Probably damaged and shorted out the board.
    I'd bring it to Apple and have it replaced.
    If its out of warranty will probably cost you $150.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Your phone has chocolate damage. Also, you mentioned you washed it... care to elaborate on that?

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

You'll get more hits if you put it near an anthill. I hear ants love candy.

5. sadbrownguy thread starter macrumors newbie

@jav6454
    I went to a restroom and blasted my phone with water for about 10 seconds, especially the audio jack area.

I also have precariously placed my phone on an lamp. Hopefully the florescent (THE ONE TIME I NEEDED AN INCANDESCENT) bulbs will do something about the possible water damage.

UPDATE: The Iphone logo quit flickering but Im having to wait minutes to get to the "Activate your Phone" lock screen.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Bad idea.... You just killed it. Blasting it with water should have been the last idea.

You now have a water damaged phone which will cost you $150 to $200 to fix.

7. sadbrownguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Im going to see what a couple hours in the heat will do for him. :(

----------

One part I dont get:

The iphone turns on when the adapted is connected to a wall jack, but it will not turn on when connected to my laptop. What gives?

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Nothing, it is damaged already. What will happen is further damage.

9. sadbrownguy thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a feeling that I just have a defective battery, my Iphone can boot up fine to the activation screen and my sbsettings slider even works.

But when I disconnect it from the adapter it turns off. I have the tools to open up my iphone and a replacement battery is pretty cheap. Should I go ahead with this?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Everyone that gets their iphone wet think that. Oh yeah, I'll just switch the battery and everything will just magically start working:rolleyes:
    You shorted out the phone when you got it wet. Simple.
    You want to waste money on a battery go for it but it will not make a difference.
    Pay for a replacement.

11. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

More importantly, did any of the Hershey's Kisses not melt? My God man, wheres the humanity here?

12. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

That is why you eat M&M and not Kisses...
    [​IMG]

Pay for a replacement from Apple; melted chocolate + water bath and then you decide to try to turn it on before properly drying it = permanent damage electronic.

13. sadbrownguy thread starter macrumors newbie

LONG overdue UPDATE...

Firstly, I would like to point out that I no longer am a sad brown guy, I am now the mediocre brown guy.

I was on vacation when my iphone encountered the tasty chocolate damage. After failed attempts at troubleshooting and grim posts on this thread, I gave up all hope and and tossed the phone in my car side-cabinet.

When I got home I casually docked it to my computer and my phone magically sprang back to life. Delighted, I entertained myself to its pirated media and its funsies content like any good iphone owned should. I went to sleep that night feeling content but you can not event imagine how mortified I felt when I woke up with an unresponsive iphone and the same problems mentioned earlier.

Because the battery percentage kept changing each time I was able to turn my phone on for a few seconds. I went ahead with my plan and bought a battery. I got a great deal on the battery, it only cost me a total of ~$10 from phonepartsusa.com

I popped the new battery in after I got it and everything worked like a charm. Its been working fine since and I expect it to live a long and prosperous life until I abandon it for the new iphone. I guess im one of the few lucky ones that replacing the battery actually did the trick.

Although I do notice some long term effects:

I see these white watermark-looking dots on the bottom corner of the screen that is especially noticeable when the phone has a white background (But it doesn't really bother me).

The highest ram that I can muster up for the phone is ~150 mb, with all apps and utilities closed. Previously, Ive noticed it can get as high as 350 mb.

The most recent app that I download using installous seems to disappear randomly (Although I suspect the disappearences are caused when the ram reaches really low).

I have to press hard on the home button to use it.

-----------
    I hope this helps anyone who's facing a similar situation. Dont fall into despair!
    -----------
    As a chocolate addict, look at one of my souvenir I brought back. Ill have to try to keep this as far from my phone as possible. I definatly will not be keeping this chocolate bar in the same pocket as my phone.

[​IMG]