Iphone 4 - My rights to a refund

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by karlc12karl, Oct 18, 2011.

1. karlc12karl macrumors newbie

I bought the Iphone 4 10 months ago and have had terrible reception problems since. I have complained on 3 occasions and each time Apple offered me numerous bumpers and cases as a solution but I simply wanted a phone that worked. The customer services people virtually laughed at me when i called, saying it was not a broken part therefore i could not expect a fix... this seems wholely different to the excellent customer experience they used to promote...

So here's my question... Am i within my rights to ask for a refund after 10 months under UK law? Is the phone fit for purpose, or indeed was it ever?

Hope someone can help me...

Karl

2. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

So after owning it for 10 months now you want a refund. If it was that bad you would have returned the phone after a short period of time.

It's like me eating a chocolate bar and then saying i didn't like it after its all gone :D

3. DeftwillP macrumors 6502

fify

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

So you waited 10 months for something you should have done within the first 30 days?

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You "window" for a refund expired LONG time ago. If it defective they owe you a refurb and no more in the USA and I doubt much more with the UK's better warranty.

6. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

This happened to me and apple swapped it within 10 minutes. The iPhone also looked like hell.. Try another store.

7. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

So basically you want a free upgrade to a 4S now that its out?

8. TrulyYuki macrumors 6502

TrulyYuki

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm Afraid Not

You had the genourous period of time to return the product... Bad reception was an issue, but not now...If you are really after some kind of deal, don't look for Apple support, go to ebay or similar.

You've had the device that long? and now you bleat? I think your after a free upgrade..But not wishing to start an argument...good luck with it.

10. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

11. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Just so you know, you might have another issue going on. My mom's iPhone. 4 has had terrible "reception" since she got it a year ago. Terrible call quality, and there was a better chance of winning the lottery than holding onto a call for 5 minutes. All this time I thought it was just the death grip issue, but after comparing to my phone I realized something else was going on. I also tried swapping my sim into her phone, and it seemed to work okay.

I went down to an AT&T store, explained the situation. And asked if I could try a new SIM. Thy gave me one, and since then there are no call quality issues at all. I still don't undeerstand how a sim could cause that sort of issue (I'd think it either works or doesn't, no where in between). It is worth a shot though

12. vebs macrumors regular

The phone is fit for purpose, mine along with millions of others. Whether it's fit for your purpose is a problem you should have addressed long before now, when you had the chance to return the phone.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Sorry OP, but you should have taken care of this a long time ago.

14. adztaylor macrumors 68000

10 months and now you want a refund? You have no rights whatsoever. Should have taken care of that a long time ago.

15. ziyonim58 macrumors newbie

Sell it on eBay and use the proceeds to buy iPhone 4s

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Waiter!!! I want my money back, this food was ice cold and tasted terrible. :mad:

[​IMG]

17. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Perfect

It Don't get better than that....

18. saaketham macrumors member

Try talking to a lawyer and see if he/she sounds convinced. You never know what a good lawyer can do for situations like this. Apple may not want bad publicity and it will be cheaper for them to settle this. But, waiting 10 months - that kinda kills your case right there.

19. outphase macrumors 65816

A good lawyer would cost more than the refund.

20. CmdrThor macrumors member

Seriously? Wouldn't a lawyer cost more than a brand new full retail device?

21. saaketham macrumors member

Well, if he wins the case .. IF ... then the court may order Apple to pay his lawyer's fee and court fee. Again, if he's that disgruntled and wants to prove a point, then he should talk to a lawyer. :) Lawyers offer free initial consultation - I should know - I paid three so far. :D

22. NeonGreenHermit macrumors regular

Here in the UK, everyone is a legal expert!

Seriously though, I used to work for a major telco here and in my experience (long, painful, experience) the Great British public are, in general, utterly idiotic and relentlessly demanding consumers the likes of which can only be compared to locusts. Combine this with a slump in the economy and apathetic telco's trying to retain customers by any means possible (everyone demands a free phone for the honour of using the said telco's service), and it has bred an subconscious culture whereby customers think they have the right to anything they please. The most common battle cry is 'not fit for purpose', which roughly translates to 'if the phone is not to my dynamically-changing liking, I am entitled to a better one'. This can and usually does include expecting metropolis HSDPA 3G speeds in dark rural villages, as well as miscellaneous 'defects' such as the screen cracking when dropped. Because glass is invulnerable to damage, of course.

My time in that job was spent dealing every day with people like this, some of whom breeze through 5 or 10 brand new handset exchanges a year by complaining in such manner, inventing more and more obscure ruffles in their feathers to squeeze out yet another boon. One might even say fair play to them, if the telco's are stupid enough to tolerate such behaviour, but it really does irritate me somehow. Needless to say, I quit that job.

To the OP: you have no right to refund. Your chances of getting a new 4S are as high or low as the effectiveness of the porky pies you bleat to your carrier, and how dumb your customer service agent is. I for one do not wish you good luck.

23. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

24. saaketham macrumors member

Similar Case with Toshiba

The iPhone 4 should have merited a class-action lawsuit. Offering a free bumper to fix an inherent design issue? And that too, for limited time, and only after initially denying the existence of any problem? If that were some other company with a less formidable legal team, they'd have been sued a long time back. Glad I skipped the 4 and went from 3gs to 4s.

I had a Toshiba laptop several years back. I paid $1500 for it. A month after the warranty expired, it died. I didn't bother messing with it as laptop prices had plummetted by then so I got a new one. 6 months later, I got a notice from a lawyer's office, informing me that there was a class-action lawsuit against Toshiba, for this particular laptop model - Satellite something. I sent in my information and became part of the class. As part of the settlement, Toshiba replaced the motherboards of every buyer of that particular model, who'd bought it in the last 2 years (mine was 7 months out of warranty). I sent in my laptop which was a mere door-stop by then, and got a new motherboard. The laptop worked for 6 more months and then it died again.

25. daftpunkstu macrumors member

I replaced my sim card and it worked fine for me (for my 3g though)