Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srbh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
ok .. so i got that from ebay you can get an iphone with no obligations towards ATT.. secondly how can i get it to run any carrier that i want.. is the Sim Unlock out or the old one will apply to it ..

i am new to iphone community so just to clarify jailbreak only makes it open to apps .. right .
sim unlock is altogether different ? if i m correct can anyone confirm it .. and also suggest how to unlock the sim ..

shivpaul

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2008
There is no unlock/jailbreak available for the iPhone 4 yet.
I'm also looking to get a new unlocked iphone, but no luck yet.

srbh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
i am not eager on jailbreaking .. i just want to use it in india.. and teknikalyrarly on last page says he is using it on some other carrier.. so i guess there is a way ..
also, can u confirm of getting it from ebay without contract from ATT

brightlights

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
UK
i am not eager on jailbreaking .. i just want to use it in india.. and teknikalyrarly on last page says he is using it on some other carrier.. so i guess there is a way ..

I don't get why you won't just buy one on eBay UK and have it shipped to India from the UK? It seems the easiest thing to do.

srbh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
cos its 1.5 times costlier than buying it from states and also i dont have Uk credit card to pay it .. i am not sure if second point is valid but then i havent looked into it .. 16gb unlocked selling at 900$
i am just eager to make the US purchase feasible.. i get it that you can buy it from ebay for 700$ that too 32gb .. next part remains how to unlock it .. any insight on how it is achieved will be more helpful ..
kindly dont get frustrated and help me out ..

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
cos its 1.5 times costlier than buying it from states and also i dont have Uk credit card to pay it .. i am not sure if second point is valid but then i havent looked into it .. 16gb unlocked selling at 900$
i am just eager to make the US purchase feasible.. i get it that you can buy it from ebay for 700$ that too 32gb .. next part remains how to unlock it .. any insight on how it is achieved will be more helpful ..
kindly dont get frustrated and help me out ..

The unlock hasn't happened from what i gathered. It will be similar to jailbreaking. From what i have read (which could be wrong), each time the firmware gets updated it could/will break the unlock - just like jailbreaking.

I have no clue if someone in your country could do an official unlock on it, i don't think AT&T will.

The factory unlocked device you buy in the UK obviously won't have the unlock issue, hence the more money they cost/more desirable to buy.

Have you gone and read around online on how people had to do it with the 3GS? That might help you understand the process and what to do a bit better.

yohu123

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
Yes. I got mine. Non commitment and non AT&T
Don't listen to all this bs, trust me if u want something bad, you can get it,
Don't forget we live in a capitalist society. USA
Contact me, and I'll give u all the details
I will show you proof

hi tekniklyrawly,
i too like srbh am from india and wud like to know how u got ur non-commitment iphone 4 without activating a new at&t line or buying a monthly subscription with them.
i understand it will be locked to at&t and im not interested in factory unlocked iphone 4s.
so plz email me at yohanirani@gmail.com and lemme know whats the procedure in getting one without at&t interfering in the purchase.
i too have a friend in the States that can buy the iphone 4 for me and send it to me here in India via his family.
Thanx, in advance.

krUnIzZlE

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Moon
Hey Srbh, Where in india are you from??? Im from Gujarat side AND where is your friend in the states??? Tell him to go to canada and get one once its released. imdamn serious dude. Thats what im going to do. My dad is in the states and i told him to get one from canada somehow.. Why canada? Because its factory unlocked there. So wait it out a little dude. It'll be worth the wait. trust me.because you wont have to wait for a unlock every time apple releases a new firmware. know what i mean??;)

bmtd18

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2010

Saurabh, you can buy no commitment iPhone 4 at local store(garden state apple) or at AT&T store only. Alternatively you can buy it from craiglists or eBay. You can get 16 GB for $599+ tax and 32 GB for $699+ tax at any apple or AT&T store.
No commitment iPhone 4'can not be purchased at apple.com or AT&T.com.

Anyway, is this for bhabhi in India? When are u going?

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
You can buy your's no commitment. Just pay full price. I bought my 3GS without extending my contract (at full price). If you are going to bring it back to another country, it is best to buy one that is factory unlocked.

yohu123

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
You just have to be a customer. To buy no commitment, you would have to sign up for AT&T service if you didn't have it already.

when u say u have to sign up for at&t service, do u have to pay anything additional or another contract? plz let me know what additional costs a non-at&t customer has to pay in order to purchase a no-commitment/no contract 32gb iphone 4? i dont care if its locked to at&t or no. i dont even care if its not activated. thanx.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
when u say u have to sign up for at&t service, do u have to pay anything additional or another contract? plz let me know what additional costs a non-at&t customer has to pay in order to purchase a no-commitment/no contract 32gb iphone 4? i dont care if its locked to at&t or no. i dont even care if its not activated. thanx.

You would need the minutes plus data package. Later you could remove them both from the account or even cancel the account.

yohu123

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
You would need the minutes plus data package. Later you could remove them both from the account or even cancel the account.

what r the costs of all of this. cud u break it down for me, for a non-at&t customer.
such as, what wud be the min cost for the mins package?
what wud be the cost for the termination fees (since its no commitment iphone)?
in how many days can i cancel the account?

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
what r the costs of all of this. cud u break it down for me, for a non-at&t customer.
such as, what wud be the min cost for the mins package?
what wud be the cost for the termination fees (since its no commitment iphone)?
in how many days can i cancel the account?

$30 for the data plan and then $40 for the smallest minutes plan plus taxes. Probably about $83 a month. Since it's contract free, you could cancel it the very next month. They just won't sell it without being an AT&T customer.

yohu123

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
@SpaceKitty: do i really have to wait for a month to cancel it?
cant i cancel the account in the next 2-3 days?
and can the cancellation take place on the phone or do i need to go down to the apple/at&t store to cancel it?
also, did u mean $83 total or 83+40+30 = 153?
finally, r their any cancellation/termination fees?
i personally dont think there shud be a termination fee coz i wasnt on a contract.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
@SpaceKitty: do i really have to wait for a month to cancel it?
cant i cancel the account in the next 2-3 days?
and can the cancellation take place on the phone or do i need to go down to the apple/at&t store to cancel it?
also, did u mean $83 total or 83+40+30 = 153?
finally, r their any cancellation/termination fees?
i personally dont think there shud be a termination fee coz i wasnt on a contract.
About $83 total. I'm not sure if you could cancel it in 2-3 days after buying the phone since I've never done this. There are no termination fees since it is no contract.

You could cancel over the phone, I've done that before with iPhone contracts.

yohu123

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
ok so when i cancel the account, i dont think i will get back the $83 (or difference), right?
so thats $782 + taxes = approx. $800 = INR 37500 (approx)
hmm, not bad.
now i hope after cancelling my iphone contract, i wont be backlisted or something similar on at&t, right?

@SpaceKitty: so will i be blacklisted with at&t if i cancel the iphone contract?
also, ive heard that even as an at&t customer, i can only purchase one iphone 4 per transaction.
does that mean, that as an at&t customer, i just checkout one iphone 4, turn back and checkout another?
or is it one iphone per at&t customer only or one per day/week/month?
thanx.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.